Are we too creeazy for Cree?

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed for luxes we all go for premium bins and even pay quite a bit more for them. We even pay for upgrades from T flux bins to U-bins just to chase 10-15 more lumens. Also, W0 and Y0 are probably very familiar terms as some of the favorite bins.

But for the new Cree XR-Es, seems like no one gives a damn what the tint is or what the flux is. As long as its Cree, get it!! Except for LED groupbuys where of course some technical data is available about the LEDs.

For the new Cree lights, most don't mention the flux or tint. Isn't that important anymore? No doubt the Cree at any bin is a great improvement over any luxeon, but doesn't it matter anymore what LED you are getting?

No doubt we can upgrade our lights (not that everyone likes to void the warranty though), but like the Luxes, don't you want the best out of the box?

I think if Lumileds responds soon with a XX0H Lux I (with the same die size and LED footprint), some of us are gonna regret modding our lights and reflectors to accomodate the Cree. All part of the flashaholic game I gues :D

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. I am perfectly happy with the lights I have and while the Cree and Seoul P4 are exciting developments, I kind of like to know my Vf, and tint before putting down my hard earned cash.

I am very much enjoying reading all the posts and learning from others but will wait till everything settles down before removing metal from my nice McGizmo reflectors.

Also ......who knows. There might be some developments from Lumileds.

liteMANIAC

Newly Enlightened
Thats a very good point LEDcandle. Since crees are new and relativley hard to get people are just happy with what they can get. Once they become more readily available I suspect we will get more picky.

LightScene

Enlightened
1. The Huntlights with a Cree XR-E are going for $50 more than with a Luxeon 3. That's kind of creeazy.

2. The P1D-CE has multiple problems. First of all they are using a circuit designed for a Lux 3 and it just doesn't work properly, if at all, with the Cree. Yet people are gobbling them up.

3. Likewise they are using a reflector that wasn't designed for a Cree. But people are willing to overlook this also.

Ah what the heck, for many of us flashlights are a hobby and we want the latest and greatest even if it is flawed. At least the P1D-CE isn't grossly overpriced.

I've decided to wait for version 2 of the P1D-CE. In which all the wrinkles have been ironed out.
If I can do it ......

I also hope Lumileds gets back into the fray, forcing prices down and choices up.

The biggest problem is we are right in the middle of flashlight season, and it makes you want to get a new one now.

Last edited:

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
LightScene said:
2. The P1D-CE has multiple problems. First of all they are using a circuit designed for a Lux 3 and it just doesn't work properly, if at all, with the Cree. Yet people are gobbling them up.

please explain

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you're getting W bin Lux V output from a Cree at 30%-40% less power, it's hard to complain about anything.

I have not seen a tint come out of an XR-E that gave me the same reaction as when I first saw the nasty green tint coming from Lumileds. All the Cree tints that I've seen (WF, WG, WC, WD, WH) were all acceptable to me. In real use, I honestly feel that you will not notice the difference between these. Maybe when you're whitewall hunting and you put them side by side you'll be able to discern the differences.

As far as flux, Lumileds bin by allowing a 30% variation between the lowest and highest. Cree on the other hand has a less than 10% variation. Let's take an example of a Cree and Luxeon biased at 350mA.

An unobtanium T bin Lux 1 is rated 67.2lm to 87.4lm . Let's look at Cree in this range:

P2=67.2lm to 73.9lm
P3=73.9lm to 80.6lm
P4=80.6lm to 87.4lm

Now do you see my point? Three Cree bins equals one Luxeon bin. Note the comparison also. I'm comparing an unobtainable T bin Luxeon 1 to the Cree. Note also that P4's are now pretty abundant and that within a few months we'll see the Q2's and Q3's coming out.

I have seen P2, P3 and P4's and I'd be lying to you if I tell you I can spot the difference between them with my eyes, even side by side. If you can get these three bins in the same tint, I would do the following experiment. Connect them all in series (thereby guaranteeing they have the same current) then lay them out in a triangle. Bias them at 350mA and you tell me if you can differentiate between the P2 and P4. It would be very difficult to do so with your bare eyes. Yep, been there done that. This is not worth losing sleep over.

As far as Lumiled's with an XXOH Lux 1, I hope they come out with one but again, I'm not going to lose sleep over that one either. Why worry about something that is so remote in the future?

Regret modding our lights to accommodate the Cree? Never. I live for modding. Any reason to modify yet another light keeps my interest alive in this crazy hobby.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer to keep things stock then make my own stuff out of the seperate parts liek cree's. Although if easy drop and solder parts are avail. that make it brighter I may void my warranty and say that it was always like that.:sweat:

copierguy_mobile

Newly Enlightened
Flashlight season???

Is that something like Power Supply paste?
wink.gif

AAApaste.jpg

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
LightScene said:
1. The Huntlights with a Cree XR-E are going for $50 more than with a Luxeon 3. That's kind of creeazy.
Agree. But there is a cost to tooling for a new LED (and the cost is not zero)

LightScene said:

Explain that one please.

LightScene said:
3. Likewise they are using a reflector that wasn't designed for a Cree. But people are willing to overlook this also.

No argument from me on this one.

LightScene said:
I also hope Lumileds gets back into the fray, forcing prices down and choices up.

Competition IS good. Lumiled's will respond. The question is "with what?"

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDcandle said:
For the new Cree lights, most don't mention the flux or tint. Isn't that important anymore?

I didn't much care with the lux lights either. But I'm not as picky as some around here.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
CM said:
Regret modding our lights to accommodate the Cree? Never. I live for modding. Any reason to modify yet another light keeps my interest alive in this crazy hobby.

CM, thanks for the valid pointers. I see the Cree indeed has less variations and better QC apparently, so I guess we'll only prob start seeing the differences between the P3 and Q3 when compared side by side.

As for modding, not all of us are so well-equipped, whether in terms of expertise or equipment. Some of us might send our lights to get modded to fit a Cree, only to see a new Luxeon come out which would be a 'simple' direct replacement with just some soldering. But of course, it's all part of the game and admittedly, makes it interesting :D

I just hope we are not jumping in TOO quickly without knowing more. It's true that we can't really go wrong with most of the high power LED lights nowadays (I mean heck, we can settle for Mags with their stock bulbs), but for people with limited budgets but a flashaholic addiction, I think it might be wise to wait awhile and use what you currently have.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
We have basically grown up on Luxeons and many of us have been around through the pee green years to where the Luxeon's of today stand.

If you look at comercial offerings on flashlights, typically little is offered beyond a statement of flux (often best case and sans any transmission losses) and possibly runtimes.

On CPF, we have become much more intimate with these LED's than most dealers selling lights containing them.

Plain and simple, no white LED is white. It has a tint of some sort. The question becomes how far from white does the tint vary and then the subjective call of where do you like your tint to be. With years of experience having luxeon as the only real game in town, we have become adept at viewing the Luxeons and frankly for wont of something better to do with our time or money, we have replaced LED's and whole lights for what most would consider incrimental gains of some sort; be they a change in tint or flux.

Now the EZ1000 chip from Cree makes the scene and by the standards set by the commercial industry (flux output alone) the EZ1000 is something to contend with! In generall, double the flux at the same power.

It is likely that the comercial providers of flashlights will bring about product with these LED's because of competition among themselves.

These companies will not be disclosing bin information now for the same reasons they have not provided it in the past. There are a number of reasons I can think of but not to get side tracked.....

Now on CPF, we go by bin so what's the deal here?

Well with the Cree XR-E, a reel of LED's contains 1000 LED's. Cree will sell these with bin preference bringing you down to say 4 possible tints within a certain flux range. The price of lottery tickets is pretty dang high!!! :green: There are some of us like myself that can step up to the plate for a single reel but what I get is what I build with, plain and simple! Couple that with the fact that IMHO, these lights are close enough to white to serve their intended function of illumination then I personally will not open the lottery door in my offerings! I am still sitting on hundreds and hundreds of premium Luxeons with no demand for them now. WHy so many? Needed to have various bins available.... :rolleyes:

Ironically, had the EZ1000 not taken the wind from Luxeon's sails, we would be dealing with a larger number of possible tint bins than last year in case no one has noticed. :green:

Does a known bin tint of a Cree XR-E insure a LED of known and predictable tint? I say no if it is a bin region that straddles the P line. Hell, a Luxeon X1 could be one of a couple colors in my experience and this is no doubt why Lumileds has further broken down the bins.

If the manufacturer or distributor will sell specific bins in small numbers then it is one thing to expect a builder to offer this information but even then, the builder may not have the flavor you want or will they be able to keep up with the ever changing flavor of the month. :rolleyes:

To make specific bin LED's available in small quantities, someone has to step up to the plate and buy a bunch of LED's!!! Be my guest.

Now in the case of the Seoul P4, this LED is so new that we haven't been able to get a taste for what is being offered. Newbie has done some investigation with a small sampling of one or a couple bins and seen variations among the LED's as well as as a function of drive level. Uh Oh! I am working with a reel of 250 pieces and fortunately I have not seen tint issues with them that I feel justify any concern beyond recognition that the LED's do have a tint! Duh! They all do!

What does the P4 have to offer? Well it has the EZ1000 at its core and from my bench testing, the EZ1000 does shine through. Is it as controlled as in the case of the Cree XR-E? possibly not. Does it have some advantages over the Cree XR-E or the Luxeons for that matter? Well if you want greater lux from an existing optic, probably yes.

The CPF market is very much demand driven but if expectations or requests are unrealistic, don't expect supply to supply. :shrug: I have stated in the past few months that I felt things were going to get very confusing on CPF and that the market would be unstable. After sampling the Cree and Seoul LED's I felt justified in making these statements and for personal reasons, elected not to justify the statements at the time I made them.

There is a revolution under way and there will be blood let. Many of us may end up leaving the field entirely.

I think it is real safe to say that the revolution is not over and really, it is just beginning!

Consumers will have more and more choices provided someone elects to make them available. This will be true here on CPF as well as in the "real" market overall.

I have recently read some suggested bars to clear and hoops to jump through that are simply unrealistic and if such an obstacle course is set by the consumer, don't be surprised if there are a small number of entries to the contest; if any. Limit enough players from the contest with your rules and don't expect those who do elect to play to have to compete very hard!

Hellbore

Enlightened
I am surprised Lumileds hasn't responded already, maybe they don't have anything yet that matches the XR-E?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDcandle: good observations. I'm not too worried about tint for some reason and I just realized why, it's because the cree is so bright, that the tint isn't as noticeable. For some reason the brighter the light, the less you notice tint. Plus the ones I have are pleasing to the eye, and I have WH warm ones, which I'm not a warm fan. Things look great under them, but probably a colder tint would appear brighter to my eyes. But since there is plenty of light, I'm not thirsting for more so bad.

LightScene: the P1DCE circuit made for luxeon, and doesn't work with Cree well? How so both are current devices. I don't understand this at all.... ???? Also if you look at a luxeon and cree P1 side by side, you'll see its a different reflector in the Cree one.

RE: lumileds. It's not an issue of what they will respond with, but "when". And by when I mean something as good or better in flux... I'm not gonna hold my breath.

For the longest time Luxeons were the main and near only thing we knew. Now Cree has something that has shaken us up and we now no longer are staring at the same luxeons and trying to pick out the very best out of the pile. Now we can stop staring at the luxeons, turn our head and see something different and better. Once the Cree becomes "boring" and nothing better is out for a while, I'm sure we will start to pick through them for the best cree of the bunch.

Until then we are still excited with the extra lumens. Once we bore of that we'll probably get picky and start sifting again :)

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forgive me for being the farthest from a "led expert" responding to this thread. The reason I (and possibly many other incan fans) am so interested in Cree lights is because they are BRIGHT.

It sounds simple, but I have wanted to get excited about leds for a long time. But, I have been dissapointed by the brightness of every one of them I have ever bought. If there is even the hope of a led light (not a huge magsized one with multiple leds and no runtime) that can put out 120 plus real lumens and give over an hour of runtime with a couple or three 123's, I am VERRY interested. Add to this the fact that it can be done for less than $100.00 and I am amazed.

For me, I can only compare it to what has recently happened in photography. For several years there was a debate if digital could ever beat film when it comes to picture quality...not just ease of use ect....the debate is now over. I have always been in the Incan side of the "Leds vs. Incans" battle. But like many, I would be more than happy to switch sides if the leds could meet my desires. For me, the new Cree leds at least make me believe the switch might be possible.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many good points brought up in this thread. The sheer brightness eliminates tint issues and it seems Cree has got their products better controlled as well with less variations. It's true that it is quite a big leap from the current top luxeons offered; same brightness for double the runtime or double brightness for the same runtime.

Isaac, we'll definitely start sifting thru the bins very soon, I suspect :D I think once the Q3s are out, I might be tempted to replace the P4s...haha... but it's wiser to wait for a little bit.

McGizmo, thanks for the great post. You've provided collectors with some of the best stuff out there and have contributed so much to the community here. I hope the Luxeon overstocking on your side isn't too much to bear. With the excellent performance in all Cree XR-Es regardless of tint/bin, I'm sure there will be little problems not having to deal with specific bins and risk overstocking again!

I fully expect to see you around in this revolution and the next and the next and the next....... :D

PAB

Enlightened
I may not know where I am, but I'm not lost
I think we will become more picky about the bins as more are available and we have more time to get use to the Crees. Have to wait until people start thinking of the Cree XR-E as "normal". Then they will start paying more attention to the bin and flux of the LED. Right now, there just isn't much to compare it to. In 6 months or a year as other lights come out and other LED manufacturers start to compete in the market place, then it'll be a more pervasive topic. IMHO

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightScene
...2. The P1D-CE has multiple problems. First of all they are using a circuit designed for a Lux 3 and it just doesn't work properly, if at all, with the Cree. Yet people are gobbling them up...

My two P1D-CE's have been in heavy daily use since I got them. So far, no problems of any kind.

Brightnorm