Near-record low temperatures this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Here in Sacramento CA. USA, we're expecting near-record low temperatures this week. Lows are expected to be approximately 20°F (-6.7°C) tonight and tomorrow night.
The record low for Sacramento is 17°F (-8.3°C).

For comparison, the record lows in the two cities I lived in before were:
Seattle WA.: 0°F (-17.8°C)
Juneau AK.: -22°F (-30°C)

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
Highs here just above freezing so the streets get wet and freeze overnight making all the roads icy as hell.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The_LED_Museum said:
For comparison, the record lows in the two cities I lived in before were:
Seattle WA.: 0°F (-17.8°C)
Juneau AK.: -22°F (-30°C)
wow i fugured the low for the two citys would have been lower. once here in kansas about a year ago it got to -17. every thing froze to a stop.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Wow... and to think, Chicago was 49°F today! We're having record highs! Ha!

Global Warming doesn't exist guys... come on - trust our government! :whistle:

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
We who live in California have a hard time understanding what a lot of teh world means when they say cold.
Here, iIf there's still ice in a cup left in the car the next morning it was *COLD*
Most winter days and nights, you can wear shorts and a T-shirt. It might not be real comfortable but is safe.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Bright Scouter said:
I'm amazed! Juneau has only gotten as low as -22?

Good luck Craig, stay inside.
Juneau is right near the ocean, which moderates the climate. So it stays cool in the summer, and relatively mild in the winter.

bitslammer

Enlightened
AndyTiedye said:
We just dug out our old incandescent xmas lights and put them on some of the more sensitive plants to keep them warm.

WOW! F'ing brilliant...I had not heard of this technique before. As I said..brillliant.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
It seems that the effects of el Nino are fairly strong this year:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_nino
"In North America, typically, winters are warmer than normal in the upper Midwest states, the Northeast, and Canada, while central and southern California, northwest Mexico and the southwestern U.S., are wetter and cooler than normal...."
I guess you'll have to find your long underwear tonight <grin>.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
tis getting a bit nippy at night here..I think several records were set last night, and new records are expected this weekend at night.

I have never in 2 years or so, turned on the gas convection 'furnace' (code required) built into this little house..I have always heated it sufficiently with just the burner on the range set on medium.. tonight, as last night, I'll go to two burners = 100% efficient heat vs. the furnace like 40% maybe? most all it's heat goes up the flue..I have plenty of air in here, no danger of asphyxiation..

the temperature in the shed this morning was 50F.. that's .25 volts compensation in the reading for the battery bank capacity; a good 25% diminishment due to cold.. !

I'M DK

Newly Enlightened
Ted,
Your main concern is not asphyxiation. That requires oxygen depletion.
Your concern is carbon monoxide poisioning due to a lack of proper venting of exhaust gases. It happens every year. :shakehead

Please use your heater for heating & the stove for stov.. um..:thinking: cooking yeah that's it.

Just 30 years in the heating industry with constant continuing education speaking.

DK

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still in the 30's outside.

I heard it also snowed a little near my area (Chino, Upland, Rancho Cucamonga, Fontana) this morning. I kept my furnace running mostly throughout the day but my parents don't usually like having the heat on (They complain about feeling burning sensations and getting hot and itchy) It's off for now and around 65 degrees in my room.

There's also a frost adversiry tonight.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took a walk yesterday morning at 5 am here in San Jose. There was frost on the cars and the water along the curb had a thin sheet of ice on top. We are expected to get even lower temps this morning.

iced_theater

Enlightened
Well I tried to measure the temperature right now with my Blue Point Infrared thermometer, but apparently it wont measure after -10 F. The weather report said down to -15 tonight and with the wind chill -33 degrees. The high for tomorrow is 6 above zero.

Kinnza

Enlightened
Climate is mad! Here is Spain, i dont remember so much warm winter in my life. Yesterday i go for a walk at 22:00 and it was 11ºC (i live near 1000m above sea level inland).

Status
Not open for further replies.