looking for best throw reflector

brighter

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and a flashlight fan, especially from the first release of luxeon lights.
Currently, I'm interested to make red luxIII pocket/li-ion powered light with best throw possible regarding of size which would be around 30mm in diameter. Side spill isn't important for this project.
I have various reflectors/optics but neither one is giving me what i want, for example mcr20, fraens, l2optics 5deg and 3deg.
What would You suggest?
Thanx a lot!

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
How far do you want it to throw?
How large of a beam do you want?
or you can buy a Cree light and use a red gel or color lens. The Lumapower D-Mini has the throw.
brighter said:
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and a flashlight fan, especially from the first release of luxeon lights.
Currently, I'm interested to make red luxIII pocket/li-ion powered light with best throw possible regarding of size which would be around 30mm in diameter. Side spill isn't important for this project.
I have various reflectors/optics but neither one is giving me what i want, for example mcr20, fraens, l2optics 5deg and 3deg.
What would You suggest?
Thanx a lot!

Last edited:

brighter

Newly Enlightened
You misunderstand my thread, i'm not looking for complete flashlight, I only need reflector/optic for very narrow beam.

brighter

Newly Enlightened
I thought of that reflector earlier but it seems to me that OP reflectors arent best for maximum throw. I have compared for example mcr20 to VINET reflector (they are same outlet diameter) and found that mcr is great for overall using but the beam is not as tight as VINETs. I also have KENBAR reflector and it is tihgtest beam reflector I have but will not fit my needs as it is too large. I'm still open for suggestions...

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my experience the larger the reflector the narrower the beam. I would look for a 3 inch reflector. I have a light called a VIP which had an aftermarket reflector made for it this is a large 3" reflector which is fairly deep.
You did say that you aren't looking for a complete light. Too bad because it would be easier to recommend a flashlight rather that a single reflector for throw.
I suppose you could just use a MAG reflector which has had the cam cut off.
Maglite reflectors and their after market replacements with no cam are excellent throwers. They need to be housed of course.
I would go with a mag reflector and just hold it in place with the led in the focal point and See if you get the results you are looking for.
Good luck
yaesumofo