The old Surefire G2 (60 lms incan bulb) more brightest than P1D-CE 135 lms ?

zerafull

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody !

I see the comparison chart of flashlightreviews here :
http://flashlightreviews.com/features/chart_manu.htm

And i see, the throw is 51,96 for Fenix P1D CE max (135 lumens)

And for the surefire G2 60 lumens (p61 incan bulb) : 59.45

The incan bulb are 2X more brightest than the LED (and cree) ?

I would more explains about that please..

Thanks by advance

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 'throw' is NOT the total output, it is the maximum intensity. If a beam is tightly focussed, it will have a higher 'throw' value. 'Lumens' is the total light output. If you look at the 'overall output' for the two lights, you will see that the P1D-CE is greater.

zerafull

Newly Enlightened
MikeSalt, thank you for your fast reply !

Ok, but if i see the Overal value for the G2 , it's 70, and the P1D CE : 78,50 (for 135 lumens vs 60 lumens) it's better for the P1D-CE but not 2X better....

the "overal output" is different of "overal" ?

zerafull

Newly Enlightened
ok , finally the P61 bulb produce 120 lumens, it's conventional battle with the p1D ce

113 real lumens for the G2 and 109 real lumens for the p1D-ce

but last question : the incan flashlight produce light more agressive to see no ?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
nope, even much more powerful incans "seem" to be dim, compared to the white light of a Led.

If these 2 lights are even (52 to 59 or 113 to 109 is equal), then You will always think the batts of the incan are already depleted, when both are running side-by-side.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light from good incans doesn't seem to be as irritating, glaring, or "unnatural" as that from an LED. Perhaps this is the perception that LEDs look "brighter".

luigi

Enlightened
Hi Zerafull,

I'm not an expert but my understanding is that in both the tests and what the manufacturers claim and the perception there is a lot of ambiguity and subjectivty. It is not the same as measuring electric current or the weight of something.

Comparing LED lights with incadescents is very difficult because the "spectrum" of the light is completely different, and thus the brightness measured in different tests and the perceived brigthness by the human eye can be very different.

For example if you take an incadescent light and a led light with exactly the same brightness and optics outside in a foggy night the incandescent will reach a lot lot better than the LED, probably because it has more yellow and orange light that penetrates better the fog than the LED.

The same two lights indoors pointed at the ceiling of a room will probably make you think the LED light is better because the white light will produce more ambient illumination.

So without being very knowledgeable about it my opinion is that you can use the values to compare LED vs LED or incandescent vs Incandescent but cross-spectrum comparissons have little value. And even in LED vs LED or Incan vs Incan you should take numbers as only an indication and not an exact value.

Luigi

The Fenix ain't much when it comes to collimated long range projection (aka throw). The Streamlight 4AA Luxeon with a Luxeon I even has a slight edge over the P1D-CE.

A 40W fluorescent lamp produces about 3,300 lumen, but it is spread out. A flashlight may produce 80 lumen, but it is far more collimated and goes a long way, but not as much total quantity of light output. Make sense?