Who's into cameras? Canon EOS-1Ds

yclo

Flashaholic*
Who\'s into cameras? Canon EOS-1Ds

I'm sure many of you here are into photography, who can tell me something about the Canon EOS-1Ds and whether or not it's worth the $6k+?

-YC

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Who\'s into cameras? Canon EOS-1Ds

According to this very long and in depth review it's "Highly Recommended"

Wish I could afford one
bluesigh.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh Lordy, I would so dearly love to own this camera and required lens and accessories! Read this guy's take here.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/shootout.shtml

A real photographer, not just a digicam reviewer and he says it's better then medium format. Other nice pictures and articles on his site as well.

I was looking at a higher end 5 megapixel such as a Nikon 5700 and then I saw review pictures from this camera and it spoiled me. Actually the Canon EOS-D60 at $2200 is a good compromise but it's still too high. A few years ago, a D60 equivalent sold for $10 grand so I'm hoping that in another year or so, it may become more affordable.

yclo

Flashaholic*

Wish I could afford it too....

But then again that'd be pointless to since there'll be the lens + all the other stuff that goes with it which will probably be more than the camera body itself!

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast

I feel that it's pretty good, but technology should be allowed to mature a little more before jumping into anything. I believe in a few more months, they might anounce something. But of cos that's just purely speculation on my part.

Sorridsky

Newly Enlightened

the luminous landscape guy is wonderfull,
but his claims about the 1Ds is rather silly.
He says it is better then medium format, when in reality, hes comparing the 1Ds to a scanned medium format Transparency.
He should have compared a digital print from the 1Ds and a cibachrome print from the Medium format neg, or else its not a fair test!

AluminumOvercast

Enlightened

I agree with Nerd. By biggest dillema is either getting one now or waiting a few more months for the full frame CCDs. I believe at that stage, it would be a good time to buy since full frame would be newer technology and 6.5mp and under SLRs will begin to drop in price. But for what I do, the current line of SLR's would be more than enough. I usually never compare film to digital. I still take a lot of 35mm.

Patrick Hayes

Newly Enlightened

Scince you guys know what your talking about I'm going to throw this out. On the other end of the spectrum, if you had $150 to spend on a digital camera what would you get. I'm buying my wife one for her B-day on the 26th.
Thanks
Patrick Hayes

Kercheval

Newly Enlightened

We have had several high end 35mm cameras, a Rollei 6008i (6x6 medium format) and a Mamiya RZ Pro II (6x7 medium format).

Except for our favorite 35mm (Canon EOS-3), all of our film cameras have been sold. Our Canon EOS D60 mated to an Epson 1280 clearly surpassed the 35mm film and is MUCH more convenient than the film cameras of all sizes. For most work (to 8x10) the D60 surpassed the typical quality work coming out of our medium format systems as well (professional developing and black and white darkroom).

The Canon 1Ds paired with an Epson 2200 is yet one more step up. The Epson 2200 is certainly in price range now, but the 1Ds is still a bit high. When the bodies hit about $2K, they will get snapped up like candy left in an office.

Is the 1Ds worth the $6K now? No. Not unless you are doing professional work in which your pay depends on the results. Even something low end (like the Sony Mavica 4 MPixel) will serve you better for standard work to 8x10.

Reasonable results can be had starting about the $500 range (right now) and $2K will pick up a Canon D60 (assuming you already have this lens line). IMO you should stick it out a year or two for the higher resolution equipment.

Kercheval

Newly Enlightened

Originally posted by Patrick Hayes:
... if you had $150 to spend on a digital camera what would you get. I'm buying my wife one for her B-day on the 26th.
Thanks
Patrick Hayes
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Patrick, at $150, I don't think you can get something reasonable. The primary issue is not necessarily the camera but is the output. You need a reasonable printer using good quality paper to get results you will actually enjoy. Assume at least $150 - $300 for a good printer, $30 per ink cartridge (you will go through them quickly if you shoot a lot) and $.75 per sheet for good paper.

Assuming you already have the printer, Nikon and Canon both have reasonable stuff in the $200-$500 range.

If you go with an Epson printer, you will probably be happiest with Premium Glossy Photo or Luster "E" paper. The Matte Heavyweight is very nice for the really dark tones but lacks some range.

Make sure you have a decent photo retouch package (Photoshop Elements or equiv) and if you really want decent work where the output should look like the screen, you may want to obtain a calibration package for your monitor (OptiCal or equiv). Printer calibration is important as well, but not nearly as important as monitor calibration.

Good luck.

Patrick Hayes

Newly Enlightened

Kercheval,
Thanks for the response. I think that's a little more in depth than we want to go. This will mostly be used for taking pics of our 2 year old to email to the grandparents.
I'm looking at the Fuji Finepix 2600 around $150 on Ebay.
Thanks

Kercheval

Newly Enlightened

For cameras in that range, I would take a look at Amazon reviews. The low end stuff changes VERY quickly.

Again, good luck in your purchase, Patrick.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Kercheval, (or any film expert)

If one were to purchase an EOS-D60 and needs to buy a lens collection as well, I see "consumer" grade lens for about $250 in one example and an equivalent "professional" lens for a grand or more. I'm sure the professional one is physically more robust but how much of a difference is there optically? Easy to spot differences with a typical 8x10?

I read on some rumor mill forum that Canon might come out with a replacement for the D60 perhaps in the Spring. If I could get equivalent quality (just D60, not 1DS) along with storage media and other necessary accesories as well as a starter lens for under two grand then I think I would bite.

Kercheval

Newly Enlightened

smile.gif
Now you are getting into religion, but...

'Consumer' vs. 'Professional' lenses.

The line between consumer and professional is usually clear based on price point, but the differences are often NOT as clear in terms of quality. Typically the professional lenses are capable of a stop or two more light input at any given shutter speed. This is really important for the speed types who often need to use very long focal lengths with subjects in rapid motion. Surprisingly, the optical quality differences between these classes of lenses are very small. In fact, the consumer grade lenses are often of a slightly better quality optically because the glass sizes are quite a bit smaller and there is less opportunity for errors due to small manufacturing defects (just think of chip yield as an analogy).

Will you see the difference for any of these lenses on an 8x10? Nope...

One caveat. There is a large difference between the low end consumer brand lenses and the higher quality consumer lenses. For instance, a low end Tamron will have noticeable quality issues compared to a Canon IS (Image Stabilizer) lens on a Canon body (there are some good Tamron lenses, but use care). Most of the camera manufacturers have great zoom starter lenses, but make sure to get one with lower starting range (ie. 28-105mm) since the digital cameras have a smaller surface for light input than the 35mm film surface does and this will affect perspective.

...that Canon might come out with a replacement for the D60...

Yep, every 3-6 months for the next several years. This technology is moving as fast as all of the other digital technologies around and all of the manufacturers are pouring money in hand over fist. Decide when you want/need to step in and and just go with what is good at the moment (just like PCs, flashlights, etc.)

I can't stress enough that the biggest things you can do to produce good output is to obtain a good printer and calibrate your monitor.

James Van Artsdalen

Enlightened

I like Kercheval's comments, although I wonder if a discerning eye might not see the differences in lenses - printers are good enough to show the aberrations. But the biggest issue is if you want to do outdoor action/wildlife photography. Some (but not all) Canon L lenses have extra seals for water resistance.

Keep in mind that the 1D is still King for action photography due to the very fast frame rate and deep buffer – up to 20 frames and 8 fps. Depending on what you do the 1D may well be preferable if you're in this price range.

It's safe to assume the D60's replacement is well into the manufacturing engineering process and that its replacement in turn is in early engineering specification or development. The pace may well be picking up due to the recent transition to CMOS from CCD.

The challenge in the class of photography is likely to be getting good output. Plan on spending a lot of time learning about monitor and printer calibration standards, applications, software, etc. Actually, this is a real problem at any level – you don't want to spend 1Ds money and have it painfully obvious it's a digital print on an inkjet printer.

There are lots of good digital camera review sites and forums. I like Digital Photography Review (lots of reviews, active forums). Spend some time before committing significant money.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

James and Kercheval, thanks for the advice. Maybe by the time the Canon EOS-D240 (third generation of D60)arrives, it will be in my price range. For now, none of the five megapixel consumer digicams are significantly better then my Nikon CP990 to warrant the money which is why I will hold out for an affordable digital SLR or the quality of the consumer digicams will have to improve significantly.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've read a lot of good reviews on the Sigma 28-200mm and 28-300mm zoom lenses. They supposedly give professional level results (if not perfect) for under three hundred bucks, and the zoom range will cover 95% of what most people need most of the time. (although on most digitals, the equivalent WA will only be 35-38mm with them.)

I was planning on getting one of them if I had built up my courage enough to invest in a Nikon D-100, along with a fixed 17 or 19mm lens to do some of the stuff for which I need true WA.

iddibhai

Enlightened

for US$150 and emailing or web use, I say find the canon Powershot A10 or 20, discontinued models replaced by A30/40 and promptly canon decided to kill the A30 as well. A100 also is in the price range, but has no optical zoom, so that puts it out of my running. here's the A10 for 170 + shipping:

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=539053/ut=3f5d5286d3578f55

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Silviron, you would get a Nikon D100 over a Canon EOS-D60? Any particular reasons or have you compared the two at all?

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast

Haven't really looked at the Canon that closely- I suppose the $200-600 (depending on where you buy) price difference (Canon higher) would enter into decision.

Plus I already have some Nikon dedicated flashes and stuff.

Both are apparently very good cameras.

Mostly though, I just like Nikon.
wink.gif