dont ever buy a build ya own shed unless you wanna turn into

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not with my channel! I've literally had folks stumble upon my ASMR channel. Stick around for awhile, watching my vids., and then telling me my ASMR channel is the best kept secret in the entire ASMR community; on YouTube! Yes, yes it is.

A dubious title, but I'll take it! That channel is a labor of Love where I can truly let my creativity fly! Heck, I don't even monitize my channels.

Thus far, my exposure to ASMR has been tool repair, vintage restorations & survival/remote shelter construction, initially I wondered why there was no narration but came to understand that the work speaks for itself 👍

I wouldn't consider monetisation either and consider content a means of contributing back to the YT community (thanks for all the DIY videos) 😉

I laid this slab back in December:

This was the shed I wanted to buy.

Unfortunately, an entire series of events conspired to delay this project. I had been ready to lay the slab back in 2019. I caught something which laid me low for over 2 months. By the time it passed, it was already December and too cold to do concrete outside. Then the pandemic hit. That shed I linked to had been $1,400 when I first chose it. The price went through the roof during the pandemic. I couldn't order it until I was ready to assemble it since I really had no place to store it. We also have to repair rotted wood in the garage roof before I put up any shed as the shed would block access to it. I've been waiting on my brother for that for a while. It's a two-person job, plus he has a van to get the wood. Things finally got back to normal enough to at least lay the slab last year. So now it's repair the garage roof, and wait until the price of that shed drops back to what it was pre-pandemic.

That window frame will require some TLC as well, looks like the roof has been leaking for sometime from the staining on the wall, you will have your work cut out for you 😉

jtr1962

Flashaholic
That window frame will require some TLC as well, looks like the roof has been leaking for sometime from the staining on the wall, you will have your work cut out for you 😉
I think my brother might have an aluminum frame window left over from one of his projects. As for the wall, that staining was caused by ivy growing up it. The main problem with the rotting wood under the roof was that it allowed a pair of raccoons to take up residence in the garage last winter. They're gone now, but they made a mess.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Don't build a shed the way I did - will take you a good 6 months of weekends' to complete.

A few photos from 2018:
1694197138041.png

Piers after they'd been levelled and the support frame laid but prior to pouring the concrete. 2x8 outer perimeter with 2x6 joists within.

1694197247198.png

Built the walls in sections I could manage alone. Used L-brackets at all corners to supplement the screws through the plates into the studs - all pilot-drilled.

1694197338623.png

The completed framing. The 1x4 let-in bracing took ... a lot of time.

1694197612010.png

Applied housewrap before putting up the siding. The roof design eventually proved to be suboptimal.

1694197692518.png

Minimal completion. I finished out the interior some time later.

1694197812657.png

Subsequent roof de-knackering. Don't recommend using polycarbonate roofing for this sort of application for reasons beyond my original ill-advised near-zero overhang design.

turbodog

Flashaholic
As long as we are in the mood...

16x16 floor

1694203354687.png

1694203543701.png

1694203738135.png

Didn't actually get any _good_ pics from completion.

I remember putting shingles up in 100 degree weather. I would nail a shingle, swap the gun for an air nozzle, cool myself down, swap the gun back, and nail another shingle. Took a while. Learned I didn't want to do shingle roofing anymore.

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
Putting all those block/bricks under the floor was a MAJOR pain, but I learned from the past about sagging floors when you park a 1500lb mower in your building.

I've used the lexan panels before and like them quite well for something where uv exposure is ok.

While building another building (metal this time) the roof crew said to put the screws in the flat part of the roof panels, saying something about high winds causing panels to deform is the screw is on the ridge. I'd have to do some actual research, but think there's merit to this. So far, the metal building is 5 years old and no roof leaks...

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Nevertheless, that's an impressive build and most worthy of pride and praise. 👍 👍
Thanks. Suspect pro carpenters can spot a few design errors in my build. The roof design is still dissatisfactory and I'll re-engineer it someday with a more conventional design. The interior was minimally finished out with an eye towards power and climate control and maybe future conversion to ADU.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as we are in the mood...

16x16 floor

View attachment 48637

View attachment 48638
View attachment 48639

Didn't actually get any _good_ pics from completion.

I remember putting shingles up in 100 degree weather. I would nail a shingle, swap the gun for an air nozzle, cool myself down, swap the gun back, and nail another shingle. Took a while. Learned I didn't want to do shingle roofing anymore.
TechWood?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I wouldn't consider monetisation either....
Just to clarify:
ASMR channel = Labor of Love.
Main channel = Screw every single disgusting, lying shill.
They can all go to hell! Couldn't find a single, non-sponsored
channel. So, I created my own! Even the big ones.... Lying scum!
Smart though. Point out one big issue. But downplay it as minor.
The rest of the review as positive as you can lie to make it!

Poppy

Flashaholic
@jtr1962 regarding that window. It is probably allowing rain water to get inside the wall. I'm sure you are familiar with the saying: "A stitch in time saves nine"

1694258292211.png

A ten minute fix would be to use some Bondo body filler, or fiberglass and resin.

The window sill had rotted out in the bathroom in my first house. It was in the tub/shower area, and was tiled in place. It would have been too big of a project to replace it, so I used fiberglass resin, and a little fiberglass insulation (to act as a bulking agent) to waterproof it. It worked out great!

Poppy

Flashaholic
Don't build a shed the way I did - will take you a good 6 months of weekends' to complete.

A few photos from 2018:
View attachment 48626
Piers after they'd been levelled and the support frame laid but prior to pouring the concrete. 2x8 outer perimeter with 2x6 joists within.

View attachment 48627
Built the walls in sections I could manage alone. Used L-brackets at all corners to supplement the screws through the plates into the studs - all pilot-drilled.

View attachment 48628
The completed framing. The 1x4 let-in bracing took ... a lot of time.

View attachment 48629
Applied housewrap before putting up the siding. The roof design eventually proved to be suboptimal.

View attachment 48630
Minimal completion. I finished out the interior some time later.

View attachment 48631
Subsequent roof de-knackering. Don't recommend using polycarbonate roofing for this sort of application for reasons beyond my original ill-advised near-zero overhang design.
@idleprocess were you trying to make it tornado proof?
Otherwise it is certainly over engineered.

I'm guessing that six months of weekends, is something that you know about from first hand experience.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
@idleprocess were you trying to make it tornado proof?
Otherwise it is certainly over engineered.
Tornado proof is a lot to ask of something on piers held down by perhaps 600lbs of concrete; over engineered is a good description of what I was shooting for. Now that the roof has been sorted the only issue I'm dealing with is the paint store's unfortunate decision to mistakenly supply indoor paint base rather than outdoor for some of the trim.