dont ever move to a big city

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
A buddy of mine was almost hit by a tow truck who made a turn and never looked if it was clear, he crashed into a parked car, he was hurt a bit but nothing serious. since then he rides with an action cam, from what I saw, cars are just as bad as scooters, and bikes if not worse, he gets cut off, and pushed off the road quite often, even in bike lanes. sometimes it feels like they do it on purpose. He lives in Queens. So there are good people on both sides, and there are morons on both sides too, The scooter he rides is 2000w dual motor scooter that I gave him, it can go 40mph, I bought it rode it for a while then I read about all those battery fires, I felt kinda uneasy to charge it in an apartment, if it vents i would have no fast way to remove it, it has a 52v 18ah battery, it would burn and smoke a lot, so i gave it to my buddy who charges and keeps it on his terrace.
I bought a mid drive motor for my mtb, it has a removable battery I charge it next to an open window, if anything I can always drop it down, there is a lawn under my windows, it is gated so no one walks there. I had plenty of closed calls myself even riding regular bike. Good portion of drivers are morons. but I mostly ride my motorized mtb off road, away from cars, so not as dangerous.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, no I'm going to take exception to that last part. Do you know how many times I've had to swerve out of the way from reckless/suicidal teens on those frickin' e-Bikes and e-scooters? Countless times heading to my 3rd Shift job at night. I've almost side-swiped several parked cars over this past year alone making sure I don't hit these fools who NEVER obey traffic laws. Constantly fly past red lights without even literally pausing to see if there's on-coming traffic that has the right of way. This is on side streets where 25mph speed limits exist and are camera-enforced.

Mommy & Daddy happily buy them these things, stupidly thinking there's no difference between them and old-fashioned bicycles that require pedal-power. You know what they don't buy them? Helmets, elbow-pads, reflective vests. Some don't even bother getting a headlight installed on those things. They go outside to play, and being young and dumb just assume that drivers will automatically watch out for them, their dark colored "vehicle," and all their black clothes that make them look like modern-day ninjas! No-nothing, irresponsible, lazy excuses for parents who actually allow their Pride & Joy to ride at night. Again, no headlamp dressed as a ninja. Don't even bother telling their children to go upstairs and change into an outfit with bright colors so that at least drivers on the road will be able to see them from a bit of a distance.

Don't blame drivers, just because we don't end up being the ones injured in collisions with e-bikes and e-scooters. We're the ones who obey traffic laws. We're the ones who turn the lights on in our cars when driving at night. Blame the idiot parents who buy these things, give them to their kids, and just send them out there onto the streets with zero instructions and zero precautions.

I wouldn't be this upset if it wasn't for the fact that my mom has been comforting a young woman in our building for the last 2 weeks. The young woman being the driver of a car that struck an e-scooter teen who zipped right in front of her. Camera in her car shows she had the green light. Reckless teen wasn't hurt. Family tried to sue her until they learned she has a dash-mounted camera. But according to mom, this young woman is traumatized by the event. Has nightmares.

So don't blame drivers in NYC. We're not the problem. We get blamed for everything. Maybe if parents took their jobs as parents seriously, and maybe if the NYPD didn't turn a blind eye to everyone on an e-bike or e-scooter pretending that traffic laws don't apply to them; you'd see a lot less horrific trauma at your job.
Look on the bright side - sooner or later those things will burst into flames while charging the batteries (and hopefully won't burn the house down).

Monocrom

Flashaholic
A buddy of mine was almost hit by a tow truck who made a turn and never looked if it was clear, he crashed into a parked car, he was hurt a bit but nothing serious. since then he rides with an action cam, from what I saw, cars are just as bad as scooters, and bikes if not worse, he gets cut off, and pushed off the road quite often, even in bike lanes. sometimes it feels like they do it on purpose. He lives in Queens. So there are good people on both sides, and there are morons on both sides too, The scooter he rides is 2000w dual motor scooter that I gave him, it can go 40mph, I bought it rode it for a while then I read about all those battery fires, I felt kinda uneasy to charge it in an apartment, if it vents i would have no fast way to remove it, it has a 52v 18ah battery, it would burn and smoke a lot, so i gave it to my buddy who charges and keeps it on his terrace.
I bought a mid drive motor for my mtb, it has a removable battery I charge it next to an open window, if anything I can always drop it down, there is a lawn under my windows, it is gated so no one walks there. I had plenty of closed calls myself even riding regular bike. Good portion of drivers are morons. but I mostly ride my motorized mtb off road, away from cars, so not as dangerous.
Even on a terrace, those fumes waft inside, your buddy is screwed.
But, I'm assuming you told him of the potential dangers. If he wants to risk it, that's on him. Also, I can only mention my personal experiences. I also live in Queens. I don't see drivers being oblivious or obnoxious towards cyclists or individuals on scooters. But I do see plenty of incidents the other way around. On a daily basis.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even on a terrace, those fumes waft inside, your buddy is screwed.
But, I'm assuming you told him of the potential dangers. If he wants to risk it, that's on him. Also, I can only mention my personal experiences. I also live in Queens. I don't see drivers being oblivious or obnoxious towards cyclists or individuals on scooters. But I do see plenty of incidents the other way around. On a daily basis.
Yep, he knows, he flies drones, and rc helicopters, he had few lipoly vent on him, he has more experience with it than i do.

I had, and seen plenty of closed calls on Ocean parkway alone, there is a bike lane next to it, it uses the same light as pedestrian crossings, it is a little distance away from main road, so when cars turn they pay no attention to it. I ride there often. so i know if a car has a blinker on, i'll wait even if my light says walk, cuz if there are no people crossing.. they will turn. sometimes they hit bikes, sometimes bikes hit them. but in any case it is cars fault, they supposed to yield to pedestrians and bikes. riding in shared lanes not any better. Hell I get cut off even when I drive a huge suv, never mind a bicycle.

A while ago I designed a special light just for that, so the cars see you when they turn, a light that you turn on as you approach the intersection, that shines sideways and down, and installed on seat tube of the frame, where a bottle holder usually installed, things kinds delayed with the move, but i'll finish it one day,

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Monocrom, I was talking mostly about the kids on the E- scooters. Adults add their own craziness and recklessness. I both bike and drive and get to see both sides. It's not an either or case to lay the blame.

I have seen both drivers and riders on scooters get worse over the years. My previous comment was going on the increase in serious traumas specifically regarding E bikes.

My observations are with working EMS for the 911 system for many years and then working in a few hospitals, currently in a Trauma center.

I used to live on an avenue with a 10 block stretch of no stop signs or lights and witnessed dozens of car accidents in just the first year of living there. Most were car vs car. A handful were car vs bike/scooter.

In my facility we tend to see more scooter incidents from other areas. Really has many factors influencing.

A dashcam is a prudent and necessary addition for a car. They save from frivolous lawsuits (scams) and make dealing with insurance companies so much easier when you are in the right.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
@alpg88 ~

I hope you finish it soon and that one of the big bicycle companies buys the patent off of you. Ironically, you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned that some drivers hit bicyclists because they honestly can't see them. A problem that could easily be greatly reduced if riders didn't insist on wearing all-black, not wearing reflective vests, not having installed a headlamp, along with a rear red bike-light, and reflectors on the wheels. It is ridiculous holding drivers fully responsible if a reckless bicyclist peddles out in front of them by blowing past a red light. Which I see all the time. The Law is one thing. But from a pragmatic perspective, whose going to take the worst of it in a collision between a bike and a car? The law says drivers are always responsible. Well, what good is being right if a bicyclist ends up being literally dead right?

Dress accordingly, have the right accessories on one's bike, and acknowledge the fact that sometimes drivers honestly can't see you. Watching out for each other means fewer accidents.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol, this guy is hard to please

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I both bike and drive and get to see both sides. It's not an either or case to lay the blame.
I mean, this is targeted at automobiles but also has applications to bicycles, scooters, etc...
1697825908694.png

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
My observations are with working EMS for the 911 system for many years and then working in a few hospitals, currently in a Trauma center.

ts (scams) and make dealing with insurance companies so much easier when you are in the right.
Yep, very few of those e scooter wear helmets, and some scooters are so fast you need a motorcycle helmet. Few years back there was a video of a guy slamming into a parked van at around 40mph on such scooter, the guy was pretty bulky, the van jumped forward a bit from the impact. he died on the spot,. the newspaper article said he was given this scooter on his BD that day.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Look on the bright side - sooner or later those things will burst into flames while charging the batteries (and hopefully won't burn the house down).
This is why we need to push the e-bike industry towards LiFePO4 batteries. EVs are already moving in that direction.
I was talking mostly about the kids on the E- scooters. Adults add their own craziness and recklessness. I both bike and drive and get to see both sides. It's not an either or case to lay the blame.
I've seen both sides of the coin. I see a lot of kids on e-bikes, dirt bikes, and those stupid ATVs doing all sorts of really dumb things. Then again, drivers have gotten much worse as cars have increased in power. Now they use the power to squirt into any opening in traffic. I also see a fair number driving on sidewalks to gain a few places in the queues at red signals. Maybe it's time to limit acceleration rates when driving on local streets, and to govern to the speed limit on those same streets. Allow wide open power only on highways or entrance ramps. You don't need to get to 60 mph in 3.8 seconds on NYC streets.

Drivers in NYC violate traffic laws like crazy. More and more are passing red signals. Nearly everyone speeds. Many don't yield to pedestrians when turning. It's a free for all.
I hope you finish it soon and that one of the big bicycle companies buys the patent off of you. Ironically, you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned that some drivers hit bicyclists because they honestly can't see them. A problem that could easily be greatly reduced if riders didn't insist on wearing all-black, not wearing reflective vests, not having installed a headlamp, along with a rear red bike-light, and reflectors on the wheels.
While lights should be used when riding after dark (I have north of 600 lumens with both my headlights on, plus a rear flasher), a good cyclist rides so that their safety doesn't depend upon others seeing them.

I don't bother with wheel reflectors. They tend to unbalance the wheel, plus they're not as effective as many think. Lights are the key to being seen.

It is ridiculous holding drivers fully responsible if a reckless bicyclist peddles out in front of them by blowing past a red light. Which I see all the time. The Law is one thing. But from a pragmatic perspective, whose going to take the worst of it in a collision between a bike and a car? The law says drivers are always responsible. Well, what good is being right if a bicyclist ends up being literally dead right?
NYC needs to legalize yielding at stop signs or red signals precisely so police can go after those who *don't* yield. Also, if this behavior were legalized, any group teaching new cyclists would show them how to properly pass red signals. Right now those same groups won't touch that with a ten foot pole lest they be accused of encouraging illegal behavior.

For a bunch of reasons it's far safer for cyclists (and pedestrians) to go on red, but they also need to learn to do so safety (as well as when NOT to do it). I pass red signals all the time. I haven't even had a near miss, never mind an actual collision. I generally start scanning the cross street when I'm a block away. If there's a lot of cross traffic, I know I'm not going to be able to safely pass that red signal, so I just coast to the intersection. I try to adjust my speed so I hit the intersection just as the signal flips back to green, thereby avoiding a full stop. If traffic is light, I reduce speed to 8 to 10 mph before I reach the intersection. I cover my brake, continue to scan in both directions. Right before entering the intersection, I make my go/no go decision, depending upon what I see. If it's clear, I accelerate rapidly through the intersection to clear it as quickly as possible. If not, I slow or stop as needed to let anything coming pass, then accelerate through the intersection. This stuff isn't hard to teach novice riders.

Bottom line, there's zero reason for cyclists to blow red signals without slowing or looking. They're putting their own lives in jeopardy.

On another note, and I see this often, it's "red signal", not "red light". Or using railroad parlance, stop aspect, although most people don't get that one. Red light is something you see outside a bordello.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
You never hear " a car driver was killed in a collision with a scooter" unless a scooter rides shots the driver, but just type into google video search "dies on scooter" and you get never ending feed of videos and articles of scooter riders dead starting from 3y.o. and half of those or even more hit and runs.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
On another note, and I see this often, it's "red signal", not "red light". Or using railroad parlance, stop aspect, although most people don't get that one. Red light is something you see outside a bordello.
Popular usage is red light and I would not bet against that inertia.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I read an article back in the summer suggesting folks not charge their e-cycles/scooters near entrances since so many people were being injured trying to flee after it burst into flames.

My wife and I were at a restaraunt one evening where two e-bikes were parked in a parking spot. The issue I saw was the baby seat on the back. The road leading to the place is no place to take your kid. Forget what the law says. Others may disagree but I never road my bicycle on a busy thoroughfare when either of my son's was on the bike too. And that was way before things got so crowded and the average motorist goes 55 in a 35.

My neighbor has one. I asked if he'd ever ride it with his grandson on the back. He said "are you kidding? No way".

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see people ride bikes with kids all the time in NYC, there are very few dedicated bike lanes, even if there are, roads cross them in some places, mostly bike lanes are shared with cars. seen one lady ride a cargo bike with 2 kids, across 3 lane road on red signal. people were screaming " you idiot what are you doing with kids on a bike" one lady was so angry she actually called 911 and reported her, but doubt it did any good.
However just because there is a child seat does not mean child is riding there all the time, I have a child seat on my bike's top tube, it is permanently attached, but most of the time I do not ride with a child sitting there,

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Saw a video last week with a bicycle that was doing overnight 50 mph and if I recall motors was like 25000 watts it was a heavy moded sur Ron

I watched 10 mins of that and was really hoping that a car swerved over, or car door opened to stop these idiots. Need Darwinian selection.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I watched 10 mins of that and was really hoping that a car swerved over, or car door opened to stop these idiots. Need Darwinian selection.
I feel like banging both their heads together. It's thanks to idiots like these that lots of places are talking about heavy-handed regulation for e-bikes. Not that it'll stop people like them, but it'll make life harder for everyone else.

WTF is it with the wheelies? Maybe it's OK once or twice, but doing wheelies at 50+ mph? Great way to get killed. And 25+ mph on some sidewalks? The rare times I ride on sidewalks I keep it to ~10 mph or less. Don't get me started on them going through multiple red signals at high speeds. They're lucky they didn't end up as a bumper ornament on a bus.

Keep the high speeds for the highway where they belong. They should stay out of bike lanes too, unless they keep the speed down to normal pedal bike speeds.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Honestly gotten to the point where if stupid people on bikes or scooters get themselves killed, I don't care. As long as I live, I will never understand why God allows so many genuinely stupid people to exist on the face of this Earth. It can't simply be to test good people on a regular basis. I don't pretend to understand His ways.

Problem is, stupid people oftentimes have spouses and children who depend on them, and their income. That's the only thing that bothers me.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly gotten to the point where if stupid people on bikes or scooters get themselves killed, I don't care. As long as I live, I will never understand why God allows so many genuinely stupid people to exist on the face of this Earth. It can't simply be to test good people on a regular basis. I don't pretend to understand His ways.

Problem is, stupid people oftentimes have spouses and children who depend on them, and their income. That's the only thing that bothers me.
We need bicyclists and motorcyclists to provide the donated organs to save the sane people, and me too. :crazy: