Battery Death Thoes in SureFire Kroma

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
How a flashlight goes dead is as important, to me, as how it performs normally.

I use my Kroma a lot. I like to walk around under the low level's dim light. When I want to see something in the distance, I punch the button and light up the scene with the bright main LED. There are brighter flashlights, but in the darkness of my rural setting, my Kroma's main beam does very well at lighting up the shadows.

That is, when it lights up.

I was taking my dog out before bedtime last night. And, like I always do, I walked with him for a ways te make sure he didn't do his business in the yard (which he prefers), but went all the way back to his bathroom. I hit the button and saw green eyes where they were supposed to be. Then I hit the button again and nothing. Just dim red.

That's how this thing dies. It goes along fine, then all of a sudden, no bright main beam. No gradual decline, it just stops. I still have the low beam(s), but without warning I lose the bright one.

I use the Kroma for self defense. The sudden death of the main beam frankly is a bit disappointing. I really like the low red/bright white combination for checking bumps in the night. I would hate to go for the bright white and find nothing.

Have others with Kromas noticed this same behavior?

Scott

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

You know... I EDC my Kroma and personally find it to be the perfect flashlight for my needs, in all respects EXCEPT for what you are talking about. Surefire lights, in general, seem to have the "sudden death" problem you describe... my L1 does it, my L2 does it, and my Kroma does it. No warning, no flashing or dimming output - just OFF. However, I've learned to live with this because you DO still have the low-output modes to fall back on, so it's not "left-in-the-dark-catastrophic" as a result. I'm hoping that in future models, Surefire does some kind of strobing warning or dimming when the batteries are about to die... just to let you know. If the Gladius can do it, there's nothing to keep Surefire from doing the same.

BTW, I've found that the High-Red mode is the longest lasting mode on my Kroma when the batteries go down... I turn the light to that setting after the dim-white has lost it's usefulness.

Best wishes,
Bawko