very tight, intense beam - which flashlight?

kodi

Newly Enlightened
this is one of my first posts, so be gentle, please ;)

I was digging in the archives for past two months, an still no satisfactory solution. I'm looking for relatively small flashlight for night target shooting (airgun). Distance to targets is up to 45 meters. Practically I don't need any spill. Currently I'm using Streamlight 2L3W for this purpose - mounted on my rifle scope. And it barely works for me (if target is @38-40m - It's clearly visible, when it's further - it's just too dark) I have Tri-Star Phazer from Elektrolumens and tried to mount it under the barrel. Almost worked, but having additional 1kg in that place ruins the balance (I ended with lower score than with 2L3W, and the course was simplier :( ). The beam profile of 2L3W is what I like, but it's just too weak :( I'm considering buying another 2L3W and mod it with a CREE or SSC LED, but I thought that it will be wiser to ask experts @CPF first :).

So is there other flashlight of this size with such concentrated beam and higher output, or I should just go for modding the 2L3W?

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lumacraft D-Mini is the closest light I know to what you want. It weighs about 110 g with battery and has a very intense and tight beam. The run time might not be enough for you, though -- with a Li-Ion cell, it's only about 1/2 hour, and with a Lithium primary cell, about an hour to 1/2 output. It'll light a target with 5 - 6 lumens at 40 meters.

Heavier (240 g) and not as bright, but more rugged, longer run time, less expensive and using more common AA cells is the Streamlight ProPoly 4AA Luxeon. This light has a very tight beam also. It'll light a target with about 2 lumens at 40 meters.

c_c

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greatest throwing production light I've seen is the LumaPower M1 with a smooth reflector. For a commercially available modified light there's also the Striker VG SSC P4 which does out-throw M1. See my sig.

Last edited:

LightScene

Enlightened
The Fenix P1D-CE is very small and light and might work.
The Fenix L2D-CE should certainly work, and the L1D-CE might work.
The PalmBlaze from batteryjunction should work.

Ganp

Enlightened
Hi kodi - welcome to CPF.

I have done a fair bit of Field Target shooting and had a use such as yours in mind when I started this project.https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/136404

Fitted with a 1 inch diameter body it will fit a scope mount or extender ring fixed to the scope.

This project is on hold for the moment, but if you would like any info you can PM me.

Colin.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
lasers!

fits your description wonderfully.

tight and intense beam.

ok ok, maybe a cree light with a aspheric(forgot the spelling again!) lens to focus it all nicely?