Why No Seoul or Cree Headlamps???

River Runner

Newly Enlightened
Is the market really that small for headlamps that NOBODY makes one with the new generation LED emitters? I just reviewed the LED flashlight thread and it looks like there are already 52 flashlights using the SSC or Cree emitters with more on the way. Is it a matter of market size? Or, does it have something to do with the fact that there are fewer headlamp manufacturers and they are so large that change is more difficult (ala SF)?

I really need a longer lasting, brighter headlamp soon for nighttime kayak racing. Weight is at a premium, so carrying 1/2 the batteries would really be helpful (not to mention half as many stops to change batteries).

I read that modding the lights is simple, but I've never done that and don't know what kind of epoxies, solders, etc. are required. Likewise, I'm not sure about removing stock emitters.

RR

mdocod

Flashaholic
I'm noticing the same thing. I needed to buy a good headlamp for a caving trip coming up, was really hoping a Cree based would be available. Settled on an Argo HP because the regulation should work fine with a P4 swap.

gunga

Flashaholic
Quick suggestion. Mod a PT EOS. Very easy to swap out the Luxeon star.

I just put in a P4 Cree and IMS17. Beam is a bit ringy, but very bright (I used some PDA film to smooth out the beam at the expense of some lux).

That's one of the easiest mods. I think Seoul swap would be even better (little or no reflector mods needed.)

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will just take a bit of time for Cree/Seoul headlamps to get to market. The makers of quality headlamps aren't quite as nimble as the boutique flashlight makers like Fenix, etc. but they will come.

Meanwhile, mod an existing headlamp. Like gunga said, the PT Eos should be an easy mod. Order a SSC P4 Star from Photonfanatic, and make the swap.

gunga

Flashaholic
Hey, has anyone tried the SSC P4 in an EOS? I have a cree star in mine, ringy beam, had a bunch of modding needed on the reflector.

I'm curious if a seoul is more of a drop-in for the IMS 17 reflector.

gunga

Flashaholic
Ktronic, that is wicked!

BTW, what is IMS17 LS? WHat's the LS stand for? What kind of modding was needed for the reflector? Was it a drop -in mod?

I have a Cree with a modded IMS17 and diffusion film. I may pick up another EOS to put in a seoul and IMS17.

:goodjob:

Nice mods, I'd like to try making a "floody" myself.

Hmmmm, how many headlamps do I really need... (already have a modded EOS and a quad).

:naughty:

ktronik

Enlightened
gunga said:
Ktronic, that is wicked!

BTW, what is IMS17 LS? WHat's the LS stand for? What kind of modding was needed for the reflector? Was it a drop -in mod?

I have a Cree with a modded IMS17 and diffusion film. I may pick up another EOS to put in a seoul and IMS17.

:goodjob:

Nice mods, I'd like to try making a "floody" myself.

Hmmmm, how many headlamps do I really need... (already have a modded EOS and a quad).

:naughty:

LS= light stipple... floods it up a bit more...

K

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Seoul P4's make it easy to take your luxeon based headlamp and modify it. They drop right in (with a little shimming) and you will get roughly twice the output of what you're getting with a Lux I or Lux III based headlamp.

gunga

Flashaholic
Can I drop a seoul into an IMS modded EOS? What kind of shimming? Do I need to drill out the reflector?

Man, don't really want to sputter my reflector. Ktronic, did you buy your ims 17 with stipple or did you do it yourself? If you purchased, it, where do you get textured IMS 17s?

DaveNagy

Newly Enlightened
I'm also interested in modding an EOS to make a bright, floody, headlamp for camping, etc. Sounds like I'd want to go with the Seoul+IMS17 route in that case. A few questions, if by chance someone has the info/links handy:
  1. Where would one procure an IMS17 and/or and IMS17LS?
  2. Same question about a Seoul P4, and are "Q" bins available anywhere yet?
  3. Is there something resembling a how-to for performing the actual mod? Sounds like I'll need to add a heatsink as well?

ktronik

Enlightened
All this is pretty well covered now... do a search for eos... or my eos posts...

PhotonFanatic sells IMS 17/20... both will work...I stippled it myself...don't worry to much about this, effect is only small... don't really need to worry about the heatsink as well...

zgurl

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

as Ktronik said, EOS modding is pretty well covered now. Keep it simple: open the light, swap the emiter with a seoul (or cree), swap the stock optic with IMS... and close the light!

If you are intersted in very long runtime, you can consider a "3AA modding" of your 3AAA headlamp: drill a little hole in the backof the light so that two wires can get inside and can be soldered to the +/- of the light. Then you can use a 3AA pack in your pocket. Simple and really efficient (more than twice the runtime!!) - dont forget to get the AAA off the headlight! :grin2:

With such a modding, my EOS is running on "high" mode at a very bright level for more than 10 hours with costless NiMh :) so that I can run all night long (no more reason to stop).

DaveNagy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, guys. Yeah, I figured the answers were already "out there", I just wasn't sure where. :) Is looks like I'll be ordering the Seoul P4 emitter, and the IMS reflector, and maybe some "Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive" (in case I want to try to bodge together some sort of heatsink) from PhotonFanatic. See his thread here.

I also ordered a diffuser from Lighthound, since that seemed like something that would be worth trying out. Less fiddly than homebrew sputtering at least, and easily reversible. While I was there, I noticed that Lighthound was selling the EOS at a pretty decent price. Too late for me, but something for others to consider.

I was thinking of sanding a penny smooth, and using it as a heatsink. Perhaps I'd want to use two pennies for more thickness? I have no idea. It's not clear to me whether there is enough room (depth) available. I guess there are supporting "pegs' that would need to be removed in order to make space for a heatsink underneath the emitter?

Ktronic, is this how the mod goes, basically?
  • Disassemble the EOS by opening the battery compartment, and then gently prying out the guts.
  • Detach the thermistor from the bottom of the existing star, using a razor blade, or similar. Leave the thermistor wired, and in place.
  • De-solder and remove the existing star, leaving the existing wires in place.
  • (optional) Using an epoxy that is heat-conducting, but not-electrically-conducting, attach some sort of heatsink to the back of the Seoul emitter. Or perhaps attach the heatsink to the board first.
  • Solder the existing wires onto the Seoul emitter.
  • Reattach the thermistor to the emitter?
  • Pluck out the existing optics, and drop in the IMS17 in its place.
  • Sandwich everything back together, making sure the back of the reflector sits down flush onto the emitter.
  • Enjoy!

ktronik

Enlightened
DaveNagy said:
Thanks, guys. Yeah, I figured the answers were already "out there", I just wasn't sure where. :) Is looks like I'll be ordering the Seoul P4 emitter, and the IMS reflector, and maybe some "Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive" (in case I want to try to bodge together some sort of heatsink) from PhotonFanatic. See his thread here.

I also ordered a diffuser from Lighthound, since that seemed like something that would be worth trying out. Less fiddly than homebrew sputtering at least, and easily reversible. While I was there, I noticed that Lighthound was selling the EOS at a pretty decent price. Too late for me, but something for others to consider.

I was thinking of sanding a penny smooth, and using it as a heatsink. Perhaps I'd want to use two pennies for more thickness? I have no idea. It's not clear to me whether there is enough room (depth) available. I guess there are supporting "pegs' that would need to be removed in order to make space for a heatsink underneath the emitter?

Ktronic, is this how the mod goes, basically?
  • Disassemble the EOS by opening the battery compartment, and then gently prying out the guts.
  • Detach the thermistor from the bottom of the existing star, using a razor blade, or similar. Leave the thermistor wired, and in place.
  • De-solder and remove the existing star, leaving the existing wires in place.
  • (optional) Using an epoxy that is heat-conducting, but not-electrically-conducting, attach some sort of heatsink to the back of the Seoul emitter. Or perhaps attach the heatsink to the board first.
  • Solder the existing wires onto the Seoul emitter.
  • Reattach the thermistor to the emitter?
  • Pluck out the existing optics, and drop in the IMS17 in its place.
  • Sandwich everything back together, making sure the back of the reflector sits down flush onto the emitter.
  • Enjoy!

PhotonFanatic is now selling SSC P4 stars... no need to 'make' a SSC P4 star...

just swap the LUX star for the SSC P4 version...

you need to take 0.03" off the bottom of the IMS17, to bring the SSC P4 into focus...just rub the reflectors bum on a file...while holding flat...

ktronik

DaveNagy

Newly Enlightened
Oh, excellent. I just came across that thread, and was in a panic. (Okay, not really) "Wait, P4s don't come on a star? Oh no, what will I do?!?" :shrug:

So, prior to these P4-with-stars coming out, one had to desolder the Lux emitter from its star, and replace it with the P4 emitter? That sounds pretty fiddly. I guess my timing was excellent in that respect. :)

Thanks for the tip about filing down the back of the reflector a smidge. Maybe I need to buy some calipers.