Are we losing our humor?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen some high tension/drama posts from members and those involved in administration.

What's happening? :barf:

Things can often be said in a nicer way.

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
EngrPaul said:
Sigh Are we losing our humor?

NO!
mad71.gif

SHUT UP!
Christo_pull_hair.gif

I HATE YOU!
nana.gif

icon8.gif
crackup.gif

thinking.gif

Actually, I've noticed the same thing lately. There have always been one or two members that come to mind when I think 'grumpy'. Ironically, CPF member Grumpy isn't one of them.

To be honest, I've been away for a while (from about March of last year through Jan of this year and in some ways, it feels like a different place. There are some great new members, and some old members that were just starting out modding flashlights when I left and now they do primo work. But some folks are just flat out unfriendly. I hope this is just their internet persona... that they are living in denial and supressing rage in their real lives, and just allowing their... not so nice side to come out on the internet because if they are ALWAYS has unhappy and agressive as they seem on CPF, I feel sorry for their actual friends.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think there are a few hiding under the anonmymity of the Internet who are trying to stir the pot here and are on a revenge trip for what they feel has been bad treatment.
I'm also reminded of a slightly similar situation when CB Radio first got started. Bunch of local guys very friendly with each other and always courteous. As it grew and everyone jumped on the radio it became a war of ego's and who had the most power to talk over who. Not quite the same deal but as most communities grow there are 'growing pains' to keep everything in harmony. It would appear some people don't have a life outside CPF - a little too much focus in one area can make everything feel way to 'serious' or important. People need to step away from the computer, get outside and get in touch with the 'real world'. Internet addiction, forum addiction, email addiction (there was an article a few days ago on CNN news about this) are all new problems of the digital and Internet age. I've been online 27 years and fairly early on saw the symptoms and pulled myself out to a more even balance. Balance is the magic word people should keep in mind.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Over all and in many posts I've always enjoyed that humor is often employed to defuse more strident responses. While there will always be some drama and genuine differences of opinion, there are a lot of very funny, intelligent, members who really make me ROFLOL.

I'm hungry now, it's time for my Crabby Patty.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i ignore a few members here i dont hate em or even dislike em . i just feel em drain me....

TorchMan

Enlightened
EngrPaul said:
I've seen some high tension/drama posts from members and those involved in administration.

First off, I'm not exactly in love with your tone right now!

Now I've lost my appetite and won't be having the roast duck with mango salsa.

A little loyalty would be nice!

Even my therapist doesn't understand. Mom's calling, I'll put it on speaker...

:grin2:

DoubleDutch

Enlightened
The Netherlands - one foot below sea level
I notice a bit of that too. I'm not on line very often or very long, so I don't often read long threads completely. Some people seem to join the forums just to assert themselves, and won't tolerate any lack of submission. Sometimes people just take themselves so very seriously, and ego's get in the way big time. Once I let it **** me off, so I commented. But mostly I still think posters are courteous and funny and caring.
wink2.gif

Kees

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you're imagining it, it seems to be showing up as discussion topics on other sites as well.

EngrPaul said:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
:crackup: Sounds like someone got up on the wrong side of the rock this morning.

TorchMan said:
First off, I'm not exactly in love with your tone right now!

Now I've lost my appetite and won't be having the roast duck with mango salsa.

A little loyalty would be nice!

Even my therapist doesn't understand. Mom's calling, I'll put it on speaker...

:grin2:

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

I've been a member only for some months by now, but...
My introduction to CPF were the stories, as collected by Carrot:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/109168

about ARC and general flashlight stories. It really was hilarious and made the forum look like loads of good fun. A bunch of "adults" who understood the art of having a good time with something, seemingly" boring as flashlights.

I take a look at the forum on a daily basis but it seems that a certain evolution has taken place, in even a short period of - say the last months. It seems to have become more "serious", duller in a way, with a smaller fun-factor.

But as a whole, it remains a great forum.

Kind regards,

Joris

DrJ

Enlightened
Well what I heard...was that looking at LED flashlight beams stimulated the global anti-humor centers in the brain...so could that be the reason?

Of course, that would mean that the hot-wire and HID only light owners would still have their full sense of humor...until of course a humorless walking LED light zombie sneaks up on them with a light and "converts" then to the humorless side....

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, I'm not sure about a loss of humor, but there sure seems to be a lack of patience and tolerance...

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, I think that years ago, a lot of the posts were about modding lights which seemed to create friendlier and more mutually supportive sorts of discussions among CPF members.

Nowadays, the lights are so advanced there is less modding going on and a lot of the posts are about which factory light to buy - which leads to differences of opinion about which factory lights are better than others (or which country produces better or more socially conscious or whatever than which other country), and these discussions seem to be more adversarial in tone.

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made a few small text replies in "practicing posting". In good humor. Moments later, this stern warning appears, not in good humor in my opinion:

This forum has a specific purpose. If you don't know what it is, then chances are, you don't need to be posting in it.

It is turning into an absolute waste of bandwidth with more nonsense than actual practice and testing of certain functions.

Consider this post of mine to be official notice... if you are not practicing or testing something specific with your post in this forum, don't post. If I continue to see nothing but fluff posting and nonsense, I will close down this forum. There are plenty of other things to do here on CPF rather than waste bandwidth and time with this kind of stuff.

I suddenly feel unwelcome, about the same time I started becoming a supporting member. :(

Last edited:

havand

Enlightened
EngrPaul said:
I suddenly feel unwelcome, about the same time I started becoming a supporting member. :(

I've been reading something along that line far too often in the past few weeks. I havn't been a member long, however. So maybe I don't count yet.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might want to take a look at Rule #6 about "Whining and Complaing about the rules" as well.

EngrPaul said:
I made a few small text replies in "practicing posting". In good humor. Moments later, this stern warning appears, not in good humor in my opinion:

This forum has a specific purpose. If you don't know what it is, then chances are, you don't need to be posting in it.

It is turning into an absolute waste of bandwidth with more nonsense than actual practice and testing of certain functions.

Consider this post of mine to be official notice... if you are not practicing or testing something specific with your post in this forum, don't post. If I continue to see nothing but fluff posting and nonsense, I will close down this forum. There are plenty of other things to do here on CPF rather than waste bandwidth and time with this kind of stuff.