Please tell me if I'm being unreasonable with this CPFer

What do you think about this situation?

• I overreacting and should let it go because the parts aren't that useful or expensive.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I should expect the seller to compensate me fairly as per our original deal

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Something else (Please specifly in the thread)

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I'm having a problem with a light that I bought from a CPFer, and I'm curious if others think I'm overreacting. I'll give an overview of the deal and save the specifcs (names, etc) for a possible Jeers thread.

I bought a light from a CPFer and was told that certain parts would be included. When the light arrived 2 of the parts were missing. The light can function without the parts.

After what I would consider slow communication with the seller where he kept saying he was trying to find the parts, I offered to price out replacements. 1 part is available for $6 and the other similar part appears to not be available unless I got lucky in the BST.

I offered the seller these options:
1. Send me the parts
2. Refund me $15 ($6 for the part I can replace and $9 for the part I might be able to replace
3. Refund all my money and cover the cost of return on the light($1.85)

The seller is currently getting upset and accusing me of doing this because I want my money back (not true, I want the light and the parts or I wouldn't have bought it).

He suggested I just resell the light without the parts because I should be able to get my money back.

He is contending that because these parts suck, why woudl I want them because I'd never use them.

I don't think he has the parts or wants to send them. I'm curious what other CPFers think about this situation.

Last edited:

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think your three options are very reasonable. Everyone should represent their sales fairly and cover any 'accidental' misrepresentations. To tell you to sell it and recoup your money that way is definitely bad form! :mad:

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to your story the error, however minor, was made by the seller, and the seller needs to make it right. You've even offered the seller alternatives if he/she can't meet the terms of the original deal.

Maybe we need a "CPF Court"

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
" I bought a light from a CPFer and was told that certain parts would be included."

IMO, it's really simple..........you made a deal and missing parts weren't sent as promised.

You offered IMO very viable solutions and spent more time than necessary, due to sellers not meeting stated terms (integrity and credibility).

I would give the seller a deadline and if not met, post a jeer and take appropriate action to have money returned. It is the sellers place to re-sell the light, due to not meeting conditions of sale.

It doesn't matter what opinion the seller has regarding the value of the parts and it is rude and IMO wrong to expect you to re-sell.

This is a seller I would chose not to deal with if I knew of this history.

jeffb

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish we had seller ratings here.

People should be motivated to not be slackers.

Please point your seller to this thread.

Empath

Flashaholic
We have a Jeers forum that is intended for these types of problems. I'd move this there for you, but it's got a poll attached and doesn't identify the one toward whom the anticipated jeer is directed.

Please use the Jeers forum to post about your negative experiences in B/S/T, and be sure to review all the rules there before creating your thread.

This one is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.