Bicyclists! What do you ride?

Gran Nismo

Newly Enlightened
Not having been in a bicycle for a long time, I have narrowed my choice to Fuji Absolute, Gary Fisher Kaitai, and Trek 7500. I will do mostly paved roads, and venture offroad every now and then in the enormouse trails New England has to offer from CT to Maine.

I am leaning towards the Kaitai due to the nice disc brakes, and treaded tires.

Oh yeah, I will definitely research ideas for modified bicycle lights too.

Here is the picture of the bicycle I chosed.

mykaitai.jpg

Last edited:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a Gary fisher Kaitai, (older model with no disc brakes). I think Gary Fisher and Trek are very similar except you usually get a bit more equipment for your money with the GF. The GF is more of a proper off road bike than a road bike though.

WNG

Enlightened
Old school rider here too. Road biker. I recently got back into riding. And I have an old Vitus aluminum, Campy Super Record/Shimano Dura Ace/Modolo equipped road bike. Updated it with a Kestral CF fork. I try not to ride it much as it's practically an antique, non-SIS era.
:)
I have a self-modified 90's Specialized Sirrus race/sport for daily city street abuse.
Shimano 105/600, Nashbar, components. And a GT carbon fiber aero fork.

I need to add an ATB to my bike inventory.

Danbo

Enlightened
I've got a pretty nice mid level grade Giant mountain bike. Not sure of the model, or if they even make it anymore, but it cost about $700 about 5 years ago. I know, a person can spend a ton more on a bike nowadays, but this one is way more than I ever need. I haven't ridden it in a while, but am getting ready to knock the dust off of it soon. :)

beautifully-stupid

Newly Enlightened
I ride a fuji road bike and love it, but the black kaitai looks pretty sweet for the price. Plus it's got disk brakes.

I guess it truly depends on how much trail riding you intend on doing. The fuji looks like a rigid frame... carbon fork at that.

You could always buy some slicks for the kaitai, swap the tires out for a dedicated road bike.

good luck

emitter

Newly Enlightened
'98 jamis dragon frame/manitou sx/r, pieced together,
'04 'bikesdirect' sprintour aka kenesis frame w/ full ultegra & ritchey kit,
huffy single speed balloon tire repro cruiser,
'34 hawthorne balloon tire motobike, restoring/ gentle riding

zgurl

Newly Enlightened
I definitely ride Lapierre (French for "The stone") a French bike maker which finds some really good balance between price and quality.

My road bike is full carbon (similar to that model, but one year older) and is really nice while my MTB is XC-410 with full suspension and less than 12kg. Perfect for night (and day) riding !!

If your are intersted in bike ligths do not miss AndyTiedye thread gathering all threads on bike lights.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Got a '91 model Trek 830 mountain bike. No springs, no shocks. Doesn't see too much use these days. Also have an ancient (60's) Raleigh touring 10-speed with a strange dyno-hub generator.

Geoff

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I ride a vintage-1980s Raleigh complete with downtube shifters:

Raleigh.jpg

It may be old, but as this screenshot of my bike computer from a few months ago shows it can still get up to a nice pace:

45mph.jpg

keysandslots

Newly Enlightened
I have an old Cannondale mountain bike, 24" rear wheel, 26" front (long time ago), set up for riding bicycle trials. Lots of custom equipment on it. It's a lousy road bike but an amazing off-road ride (14" high bottom bracket).

Also have a Campy-equipped Miele that I bought from the manufacturer. It hasn't had the final coat of paint applied yet (still white primer, no clear-coat). Has sew-ups, still haven't had to change a flat, thankfully. Weighs almost nothing, goes like stink. Of course, now that I'm approaching 50, it's hard to get my stomach out of the way when I try and ride it.

Randy

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some older road bikes:

Vitus 979 circa '90 with full Shimano 600 gruppo
Atala circa '90 with Shimano 600 also
(I'll have to see if I have a pic of them.)

MTB
Fisher HKII which has been my rafter decoration.