Super Projection 3W Cree P4 Flashlight at DX

lexina

Enlightened
The deep reflector looks interesting. The heading says 2 X 18650 / 2 X CR123 but the extender looks like a single 123-cell which would make it 2 X 18500 / 2 X 18650. In any case, there must be a buck driver since it can run on 3.6V to 9V.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3356

Last edited:

davenlei

Newly Enlightened
Looks interesting. Need more info though.

So many new lights coming out lately. This is getting crazy.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitiely interesting. Shoudl have a good combination of throw and runtime. Might be a nice alternative to carrying a Mag with an LED installed in it. I also noticed that DX just added some Cree LEDs on cylindrical stars -- 16mm and 18mm. Very nice for upgrading small cylindrical flashlight.

davenlei

Newly Enlightened
They updated their info on the light.

18,500+ lux throw!?!? Wow that is pretty bright.

Does anyone know what the lux throw of a Seoul modded 3 'D' MagLED is? Wondering how it compares to my Mag.

lhivernant

Newly Enlightened
How about 2 X 18650 or 3 X CR123. That would give about the same practical voltage and the one cell extender make sense then. It looks like they pulled the 3.6 to 9V range from the description anyway.

Joel

lexina

Enlightened
lhivernant said:
How about 2 X 18650 or 3 X CR123. That would give about the same practical voltage and the one cell extender make sense then. It looks like they pulled the 3.6 to 9V range from the description anyway.

Joel

That makes sense. Guess we won't know until someone reports here. Wouldn't it be great it the threads were compatible with SF? The extender would then be a cheap A19.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
matrixshaman said:
Looks like identical body to the Scorpion R500 - sort of big but it's probably a throw monster.
Nah. The Scorpion has a relatively wide head and shallower parabolic curve -- fine for throw with incandescent, but leads to mostly spill when an LED such as a Cree is installed. This is something different -- a narrow reflector which will capture a greater portion of the light from the emitter, leading to a highly concentrated beam.

Here
Is an example of the Scorpion with a Cree module installed.

As for the runtime, that seems very low. That's about what I'd expect for runtime for a Cree light on ONE 18650 cell. Either the test was done using crapped out cells (a possibility), the emitter is being severely overdriven, or the buck converter is extremely inefficient. Or all of the above.

LEDite

Enlightened
Something does not look correct in the pictures.

Without the extension, it says it holds 2 x 123 cells (should also hold 1 #18650).

With the short extension (about 2" reflector length),
it claims to hold 2 #18650 cells.

You've been warned.

Larry Cobb

Last edited:

lexina

Enlightened
LEDite said:
Something does not look correct in the pictures.

Without the extension, it says it holds 2 x 123 cells (should also hold 1 #18650).

With the short extension (about 2" reflector length),
it claims to hold 2 #18650 cells.

You've been warned.

Larry Cobb

I think it's just a mis-description. As lhivernant suggested above, it could actually be 2 X 18650 and 3 X CR123. This kind of setup was also used in the Ultrafire WF500 sold by Kaidomain:-

http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=1265

Patriot

Flashaholic
Ahhh, does that runtime chart look strange to anyone else? We're talking about a pair of 18650s and that's all it will do with an efficent P4??

lexina

Enlightened
taiji said:
this looks like the upcoming MRV from Lumapower. Ordered 1.

Great! Hope you will be able to clear up all the speculation here about cell combinations, run-time etc :).

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm. If 3xCR123 fits, then 2x18500 should also physically fit as well. That might be a nice option to cut down on the length a little bit, for those who have those types of cells.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
2xTrinity said:
Definitiely interesting. Shoudl have a good combination of throw and runtime. Might be a nice alternative to carrying a Mag with an LED installed in it. I also noticed that DX just added some Cree LEDs on cylindrical stars -- 16mm and 18mm. Very nice for upgrading small cylindrical flashlight.
and
2xTrinity said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixshaman
Looks like identical body to the Scorpion R500 - sort of big but it's probably a throw monster.

Nah. The Scorpion has a relatively wide head and shallower parabolic curve -- fine for throw with incandescent, but leads to mostly spill when an LED such as a Cree is installed. This is something different -- a narrow reflector which will capture a greater portion of the light from the emitter, leading to a highly concentrated beam.
Nah. 14mm and 16mm - :nana: :D
Yep I saw them too and broke as I am now had to have one of the 14mm's. Yes - I'm sure the reflector will be deeper on these but the outside body looks nearly identical. And as much as I like the Scorpion I'd jump on one of these Cree versions if - as I said I wasn't :broke:

LEDite

Enlightened
Lexina;

Still doesn't make sense.

What batteries does it run on without the extension ???

Larry Cobb

axolotls

Enlightened
3 x CR123's w/o Extension
2 x 18650's with Extension (which is the same length as 4 x CR123's)

I assume 4 x CR123's in there would blow the circuit.
That's my guess.

Last edited:

lexina

Enlightened
LEDite said:
Lexina;

Still doesn't make sense.

What batteries does it run on without the extension ???

Larry Cobb

The body of the light says it will run on 3.6v-9v and I am guessing the tube without the small extension will fit 3 X 123 cells. Hence, without the extension, it should accept 1 X 18650/17670 (with spacer), 2 X 14500 (with wrapper), 2 X 17500, 2 X 18500 or 3 X primary CR123. With the extension (which I am assuming is a single-123 size), it should accept either 2 X 17670 or 2 X 18650. Pretty much covers everything out there! Of course all this is speculation until someone buys one and reports here :).