L2d ce, anyone found a good diffuser for it?

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
I have a water bottle cap that fits my l1p PERFECTLY, so nicely that I superglued a GID oring around it so it's a nice little lamp with afterglow.

I can't for the life of me find a cap that fits my l2d-ce, anyone found anything yet? I want something that can be slipped on and off as needed. no glad wrap paper or anything :)

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
really? you found one that fits snug and won't fall off? what kinda sports drink? I have tried several different things with no luck so far.

cliff

Newly Enlightened
I wrapped the head of mine with some electric tape so a Surefire FO4 diffuser would stay on. It works great, but I would like to fine a bottle cap diffuser with a little smaller diameter.

kurni

Enlightened
Pardon my low-quality photos. My mobile phone only has auto exposure & balance. The material happens to reduce the blue tint tho...

The victims: CD sleeve & spray cap
img001.jpg

With diffuser
img002.jpg

Without diffuser
img003.jpg

With diffuser
img004.jpg

Without diffuser
img005.jpg

phil000

Newly Enlightened
You should try ACTUAL things meant for diffusion, in the theater world, we have stuff called frost, which is a clear sheet, that doesn't cut the output but does diffuse the light very little all the way to totally obscuring any circular beam shape.

Go to your local theatrical lighting supply (Vincent lighting etc...) place and ask if they have a swatch book, OR you can buy a massive sheet of frost (diffusion) for cheap.

Phil

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you looking to just diffuse (soften the beam) or get more of a lantern effect with side spill, like when you put a traslucent cap on. If you just want to soften the beam, that press and seal plastic wrap works well. Press it onto the lens and then use a sharp knife to cut around the perimiter of the lens. Keep one finger on the wrap over the lens and then peel away the excess.

Ousanas

Newly Enlightened
no, more lantern effect actually, like I get with the cut down water bottle cap on my L1p.

if all I wanted was to smooth the beam I'd get the paper or whatnot. Want to be able to convert it to "lantern" for beside the bed or camping or whatnot, but still have the throw stuff for when I want it, so it's gotta be something slip on/off.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Want to be able to convert it to "lantern" for beside the bed or camping or whatnot, but still have the throw stuff for when I want it, so it's gotta be something slip on/off."

I hear ya. I'm on the same search for my L1D-CE. I don't want to use anything where I have to build up the rim of the light first. Looking for that perfect fitting, properly translucent item. For the L0D-CE it was the Chapstick Natural cap. Don't know what it will be for the L1D or L2D yet.

Genesis 1:3

Newly Enlightened
Just got some semi-transparent sticker sheet (often used on restaurant windows etc.) from the hardware store. Haven't figure it out how to cut it yet. Not sure if heating up is going to be an issue.

flyingbrass

Newly Enlightened
A plastic Coke/Dr. Pepper/Sprite/whatever bottle provides a perfectly sized ring for a press-on fit. It has to go on bottle side toward the light because the rim is slightly narrower. You could leave the threads as they are and attach an appropriately colored cap. I want a slimmer profile, so I ground them off. Here's one snuggly pressed on my L2D.

f_L2DCokem_77135f2.jpg

I got sidetracked with other things and haven't completed it yet. For the "lense" I plan to use part of CD case cover along with some diffusion film from a swatch book (the one from Lee contains many options). I'll paint the ring with semi-gloss black paint to approximate the Fenix finish.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Been looking for this myself . . . .

Will let y'all know if/when i find it.

grinser2.gif

Cydonia

Enlightened
A sudden unexpected spontaneous clouding, with some dimming and diffusing, may occur at any time... as the poor guy in this current thread found out.

Couldn't resist, sorry ;)

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are not worried about size, then a transluscent 35mm film canister works great. Just take a knife and cut a hole in the lid just tad smaller than the diameter of the bezel and then cut some slits in the hole (8 or so) so the bezel slips through. It works awesome as a makeshift lantern it still provides a little throw. (Sorry if you are already aware of this as this has been discussed on the forums before.)

HarveyRich

Enlightened
Aha, I think I've found the perfect L2D-CE light diffuser. I started by browsing my local grocery and drug store shelves and found a bottle of "Kids, No More Tangles" which looked as if it would work since it had an angled cap, but it was shrink wrapped and clear and would cost $3.69 to find out, so I passed. However, in the travel aisle I found a rectangular translucent toothbrush holder than worked surprisingly well. The narrow side gripped the head of the light almost perfectly. Although the long side was too long, the holder didn't move much. One could easily insert a sticky piece of foam and make sure that it wouldn't move from side to side. The round ones didn't work because the opening was too wide.

Here are a few photos (my first upload on this board):
l2dce3pq0.jpg

p4270124zl5.jpg

l2dce2aq1.jpg

toothbrushwp6.jpg

The "orange" is really the surface of my desk, which is an orangish wood grain--not as much as in the photo. The toothbrush holder is really translucent, but takes on the color of the desk because you can see through it somewhat.

Last edited:

Dobbler

Enlightened
Do you have a brand/model/exact name of the toothbrush holder product?

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am also searching for a diffuser - I think that the diffuser from Petzl Tikka XP would be great. IMHO one of the best diffuser designs, it doesn't cut the output and the beam is really great for working arround the camp. I have Tikka XP at home, I am just waiting for the L1D CE to arrive (already 13 days on the way :ohgeez: ), I'll let you know how it works. I still would need to find a way to attach it... The clear diffuser lens (and also red,blue,green) can be bought separately from Petzl.

qmxzaejjao2.jpg

wykeite

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the process of knocking one up at the moment. I've got a couple of plastic tube bottles made from polystyrene that had craft knife blades in. I think they came from Ace Hardware. They are about a half a mm larger in diameter than the LxD-CE head. The cap is screw on and white, the bottle is clear so I'm wrapping some white Tamiya plasticard around the outside.

Will post some pics when I crack it:) .