LE now available in small numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
LE order page.

The Arc-AAA LE (Limited Edition) is now back in stock for an indeterminant time (until they run out).

These are the latest version (3.1). List is $39.95. Dealers should be getting their stock this week and the next.

Peter Gransee

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Welcome back Peter.
Great to see you posting on the forum, and I hope your break/honeymoon/vacation went well. Good luck from all of us in your new lives :)

D

**DONOTDELETE**

How many rotations from "off" to when the head comes off the body?

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK...been reading about the LE a bit more...kinda confused...
some say buy one no matter what
some say save the $12 and buy another flashlight with the $12.

Opinions?

B@rt

Flashaholic
It is at the moment the only way to obtain a natural colored Arc AAA. If that matters to you, get one. If however you don't care about the color, save your money...
rolleyes.gif

When possible, get both!
grin.gif
tongue.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
For what it is worth, my vote is to buy the standard 3.1. If you've gotta have the natural HA, or the warmer LED, go for the LE. If you want a great value in the best single-LED light out there, get the standard.

In the last year I bought about 12 LEs and 50 standards. After all the dust settled, I only kept one LE just *because* and the rest of the 20 or so Arcs I have left around here are standards. I do like the natural HA, but I like the beam tint and the price of the standard better.

Hmmm. It occurs to me that you could always get one (some?) of each...

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Ted the Led:
How many rotations from "off" to when the head comes off the body?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have a 3.1 version LE, it takes 5 full rotations from the off position until the head comes off.

Why do you ask ?

Darell

Flashaholic
I can only assume that Ted is thinking about the LS problem of there not being enough threads. The AAA's never had that problem. Takes quite a few spinds to get the head off.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have any beamshots of the differences in color/temp between the LE and standard white Arc?

Anyone know how many quantities are availalbe?
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

yeah, X-Ray; I worry about the head twisting off and getting lost..somewhat like my own head..
I dangle my Arcs on a chain from my keyring, so bumping around the head could twist and...!... As I asked in the Arc AAAA string, is there Loctite stuff to make the turning stiffer, but still keep it turnable?
About the HA surface vs. the black..I don't carry my HA around as much as the regular black, and my oldest black looks pretty darn worn and battered after a couple years..(that's it in the photo on the AAAA body) the HA still looks new, but it never goes out much...

Darell

Flashaholic
I've carried an AAA around my neck every day for months and months and months. Not once has the head rotated even a tiny bit. If the O-ring is doing its job, you shouldn't have to worry about the head every falling off. Don't locktite the head! Most of us go through all kinds of trouble to make these things turn EASIER! Maybe I should trade you some of my stiff ones...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah it's such an old fat head, it uses the old flat o-ring, not as much friction I guess, I really should go and try it with my newer heads - I forget - are the flat o-rings replaceable with the newer cylindrical o-rings?

Darell

Flashaholic
They're replaceable if they fit! Big help, as always... I know.

I really can't say though - I came into the game just after the flat O-rings. I'm SURE that you can do something with the O-ring to make yours harder to turn though....

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by ChrisM:
Anyone have any beamshots of the differences in color/temp between the LE and standard white Arc?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Here you go:
Picture+025.jpg

Picture+024.jpg

Standard AAA on the Left, LE on the Right

(ok I'm not that good at beam shots yet
smile.gif
)

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right on.
Thanks X-Ray!
grin.gif

Giving............in...................
Must..............resist...............

Banshee

Enlightened
Just curious..how "LIMITED" will the LE be ?

Is there a finite number of units that will be produced?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are limited by the availability of the LED used. That's it I believe.

I hope Peter considers making natural HA part of his regular line of Arc AAA's so those of us who love to go "natural"
grin.gif
can do so in a less limited fashion.
smile.gif

nihraguk

Enlightened
Originally posted by darell:
I've carried an AAA around my neck every day for months and months and months. Not once has the head rotated even a tiny bit. If the O-ring is doing its job, you shouldn't have to worry about the head every falling off. Don't locktite the head! Most of us go through all kinds of trouble to make these things turn EASIER! Maybe I should trade you some of my stiff ones...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">hmm i think there're basically two things that make head of the arc aaa hard to turn. first, the o ring and secondly the foam patch.

what i did was lubricate the area -under- the o ring, as i noticed that once the o ring got squeezed between the barrel and head, the o ring did not move relative to the barrel, and the head turned inside the o ring. i think this is due to the oring having more room between itself and the head, than between itself and the barrel.

another thing that can be done is to cut down the edge of the foam patch. what i think happens when the head is tightened to turn the light on, the foam patch which is already pressing against the barrel when not compresseds, gets compressed and expands outwards which presses against the inside of the barrel and creates more friction.

perhaps this could be a design improvement in the next version? seems like the threads ate up a bit of of the foam patch when i first started using it cos i found a lot of foam bits stuck in the threads and i had to fish them out with needle.

a third reason for the head being hard to turn is unlike the earlier versions which i noticed did not have a foam patch, the battery now turns together with the head as the foam patch has more grip against the entire top (except the "nipple) of the battery, as opposed to the small smooth metal nub in the bottom of the barrel. the battery also tends to scrape against the inside of the barrel, which also creates more friction and the grinding you can feel when you screw in the head enough for the foam patch to contact the battery. this is what causes the scrape marks on the battery jacket at the - end of the battery. i don't think this can be rectified though, as it seems its inherent to the design of the light.

maybe the next version of the arc aaa could reverse the way the battery is inserted into the barrel, with the + end of the battery going in first. a foam patch could then be placed at the bottom of the tube instead of the head, so only the head would be turning instead of both the head and battery. but then again, it would be hard to change the foam patch should the need arrive.

well as i'm new here i don't know if all the above has already been mentioned and elaborated upon, so don't mind me
smile.gif

winston

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I ordered one from Pocketlights about a week back, but might have preferred to get it direct from Peter.

It'll be a gift for my girlfriend, who is enamored with my CPF Edition Arc. Hopefully, she likes the natural finish-- I think she plans on wearing it around her neck on the outside of her blouse... That's what she said she'd do if she had a light like mine (she has no idea I ordered one for her.)

Arc AAA's make great gifts, don't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.