Patently absurd...The Supreme Court strikes a blow for common sense

cy

Flashaholic
THE DIRTY little secret about American patents is that they are too easy to file, too easy to defend, and too easy to use for nobbling legitimate competition. The patents exploited last year to extract $612m from Research in Motion, the maker of the BlackBerry e-mail gizmo, would have barely passed muster in another country. Nor would Vonage, the internet-telephony pioneer, have had to cough up $58m recently for infringing three unbelievably broad patents if they had been filed in Europe or Japan instead of America.

Patent law exists to encourage inventors by granting a monopoly for a limited period (now 20 years) in exchange for publishing their work so others can see how it affects their own innovations. Implicit in the deal is a trade-off between private incentive and public good.

Of late, the balance in America has been tipped too much in the patent-holder's favour. In the process, American consumers have paid dearly through their loss of choice. The country's competitiveness has also suffered, as one innovative idea after another has been squelched, neutered or withdrawn from the market because of the threat of patent litigation.

http://www.economist.com/daily/columns/techview/displaystory.cfm?story_id=9134111

Carabidae

Newly Enlightened
They should make a law prohibiting patent trolls so that if someone invents something, they should be required to market it within a certain amount of time to prevent laying dormant and then suing somoene with a similar idea. It's gone too far, like somewhere I read that the happy birthday song is patented and in some cases, copyright infrigment can be held against you for that. I can't beleive there are companies that only exist to make up ideas, patent them and them wait for someone to have a similar product then they can sue them. They should also limit patents to less time that belong to companies to promote innovation. It's getting Rediculous. Eveyone seems to want to patent everything, even DNA in certain sequences is patented to certain companies.
just my .02 cents.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember recently reading/hearing about the Happy Birthday song being copyrighted. As I recall, a composer, thinking the melody was in the public domain, used a variation of it in a musical composition, and was sued. I also heard that the original lyrics to the tune were "Good Morning to you..."

Just a bit of trivia for the day.

Getting back on topic, I think Gaglite may be a prime example of a company making "good use" of patent laws. (if you can't tell, I'm being extremely sarcastic here.)

RCatR

Enlightened
I feel that the patent process may be "easy" but it's way too costly for the little guy. I have several thing I have wanted to patent but I can't afford the several thousand it would cost to push through. Not to mention the long wait:barf:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
If had dealings with some people who file patents and then try and go around and bully everyone and try to get a hand out. This one company was doing this and going after websites basically saying they had a patent for streaming content, pop up ads, etc. Basically it would be like someone getting a patent on water pipes and flowing water and trying to make everyone pay them for the right to run water through pipes. :shrug:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
IMHO,

A patent should protect real R&D costs as well as other expenses incurred in bringing a novel idea to fruition. It can also be a reward and protection granted to an inventor who has really come up with a clever invention. There is some verbage about one schooled or fluent in the art. Many patents today are obvious if not already considered by others active in the art and granting ownership of the ideas within the patent really is a disservice. One is advised to paint with the largest brush strokes possible when making a patent application and to hopefully cover or embrace applications and variations not even anticipated or within the scope of the original patent?!? Everyone shoots for the moon but there is only one moon and does it make sense that one person could own it while we all view it and know it?

The US has rules of engagement in terms of creation and inovation which preclude active and progressive endeavors while the rest of the world moves forward.
icon3.gif

It would seem that Yankee Ingenuity is now limited to the legal and financial and protection industries. By protection industries, let me include Insurance, homeland and private securtity, unions and other unnamed agencies and industries which assume resoponsibility and liability and protection of and on, our behalf. Sheesh! It seems like "Can Do" has been replaced by "Better Not".

binky

Flashlight Enthusiast
Carabidae said:
... even DNA in certain sequences is patented to certain companies.

That's my biggest objection to the currently granted patents. They're granting patents for knowledge itself. That was never in the charter for the patent office. It's not like the companies created the DNA. It just simply exists, and does what it does. Duh. I get so worked up about that. I'll stop here.

Latest posts