Overall you guys like the Seoul better or the Cree?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't bought a flashlight in a real long time (like non in 2007) and getting the urge to pick up a single or double AA light and just wondered overall, you guys like the Cree better or the Seoul? I would say I prefer a wider light versus a thrower. Have either of these proven to put out more lumens per watt then the other?

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recall some of Newbie's tests showed the Crees put out a tiny bit (maybe 5% - not visible to the eye) more than the Seouls, but basically the same. I think they both use the same solid state component (the actual di) but their encapsulation is different.

The Seoul's have a soft dome, so they probably should be used only under glass. Other than that, about equal, I think.

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the Cree over the Seoul, however, there are some applications where one will be a better choice over the other.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally give the edge to the SSCP4 at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I like the CreeXRE too, but like the SSCP4 just a tiny bit more...

Spin

Enlightened
I was under the impression the Seoul is used for flood & the Cree for distance?

moon lander

Enlightened
the seoul has a much wider beam pattern which makes it better for throw lights because more light hits the reflector. i like to use the cree without a reflector for indoor lights and floods. the seoul's wide and even projection gives it a nice beam with lots of reflectors, the cree usually needs a custom or textured reflector to avoid rings.

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Seoul beam pattern is so much smoother that it looks great in virtually any reflector and may be used to retrofit all kinds of Luxeon lights. The CREE package is more rugged, doesn't attract dust so it may be used in candle mode (the kind where the head unscrews, not ceiling bounce), doesn't have a positive base, and has a much more even tint.

All of the Seouls I have produce noticeably more yellowish light the further off-axis you look. Since off-axis light is what hits the reflector, this means they all have a yellowish hotspot that blends gradually into a smooth white spill (not a bad thing at all since the yellow spot will punch through fog if you hold it away at arms length). Because of the smooth beam it can be so subtle that it's only obvious if you hold the light flat sideways against a wall, but it's there.

It really depends on what is more important to you.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
bfg9000 said:
The Seoul beam pattern is so much smoother that it looks great in virtually any reflector and may be used to retrofit all kinds of Luxeon lights. The CREE package is more rugged, doesn't attract dust so it may be used in candle mode (the kind where the head unscrews, not ceiling bounce), doesn't have a positive base, and has a much more even tint.

All of the Seouls I have produce noticeably more yellowish light the further off-axis you look. Since off-axis light is what hits the reflector, this means they all have a yellowish hotspot that blends gradually into a smooth white spill (not a bad thing at all since the yellow spot will punch through fog if you hold it away at arms length). Because of the smooth beam it can be so subtle that it's only obvious if you hold the light flat sideways against a wall, but it's there.

It really depends on what is more important to you.
The Crees produce more yellow light off-axis as well. The difference is that a lot of the "off axis" light is reflected off of the aluminum ring holding the dome down, which is what creates the distinctive "yellow ring" artifact. Some woudl describe it as a dark ring, but that's actually an optical illusion -- the spill is actually all at uniform intensity, but because there is a bright ring, and a bright hotspot, the brain interprets the portion in between as being "darker". In real practical use the effect isn't really noticeable.

I personally prefer the Cree, I like the tint/color rendering from the Crees I've been able to get my hands on, and like how the dome is actually glass rather than a sticky, goopy dust-magnet. Howevfer, I believe that Cree is better suited for optics -- for one thing, the Cree projects most of its light straight forward -- this convenient as more is going to be effectively captured/redirected using optics. For use with reflectors, the Seoul is the better choice for throw. Right now, a lot of my floodly lights I've modified to use the 20 degree cree optic, and for throwy lights I'm using aspheric lenses, which work well with Cree due to the narrow angle of projection. I personally like working with optics though moreso than reflectors.

Last edited:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are both good depending on the application. Seoul's seem better for mod's.
Cree's seem better for custom. Take your pick. Surefire get's to decide.

RustyKnee

Enlightened
Seoul, but mainly because it is easier to swap it into luxeon based lights already. The Cree formfactor is quite different.

Stu

Yapo

Enlightened
The only seoul i have is the AA MTE light from DX and from what i can see the beam is smoother when compared to the cree in my P1D-CE but its tint seems a little strange...its got a warmer tint but it also has a slight bluish tint around the hotspot and the hotspot looks kinda "flat"...so i guess i prefer the Cree

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
And to think, CREE could probably lose the ring artifact just by making that aluminum ring black. But that would hurt their efficiency numbers.

Newbie showed a U-bin SSC puts out about 8% more than a P4-bin XR-E:
seocree.jpg

jtr1962 expects the Q3 bin XR-E (when it becomes available) should be close to the current U-bin SSC. 8% is a lot less than the difference in advertised outputs (240L@1A for the SSC P4 and 210L@1A for the Q2 bin XR-E that is now available) but it's still more and not less.

By far the biggest question mark is the durability of these emitters over time, in terms of both lumen maintenance and color shift.

ROK

Enlightened
Prefer Seoul because of easier handling, easier beam control and direct swap with Luxeon.

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on those I've handled, I prefer the Seoul's 'ease of use' and the beam pattern. I prefer the tint on the Crees I've seen though; all consistently very bright and W0 white whereas the Seoul's I've seen are mostly X1ish (slightly green tint).

From what I've read around the forums, the Cree are more robust with higher junction temp tolerance too. The Seoul's have had issues of delaminating dyes and browning etc...

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
glockboy said:
The Seoul cannot go over 1 amp.

That's not correct.

All depends on a propper heatsink with a good thermal path, right vf and well constructed configuration.

To overdrive any Led up to 2Amps, I personally have no need for.
When I'll have the use for more light, I'll take my multiple Led-lights.

Best regards

____
Tom