Up On The Roof...

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
There I was, sitting in the smallest room in my house, when suddenly I hear CRACK-CRACK-CRACKITY-CRACK...KA-BOOM. I now have a tree on my roof. Film at eleven.

sejvaar

Newly Enlightened
So you were on the pot is what you are saying? Hope you accomplished your mission before having to run outside :laughing:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
sejvaar said:
So you were on the pot is what you are saying?...
Well it's a good thing that's where he was - as the biological result would probably have been the same no matter what room he was in! :ohgeez:

Glad you wern't hurt!

CLHC

Flashaholic
Sigman said:
Well it's a good thing that's were he was - as the biological result would probably have been the same no matter what room he was in! :Ohgeez:
Whoa Hey Mai! :huh:

Glad to know nikon's alright and able to write about it. Any pix?

Illum

Flashaholic
probably some damage on the flashing surrounding the roof overhang.

unless its a big tree [non-huggable by one person] it usually has the ability to support itself on your roof by separate branches....so instead of having the bulk of it sinking a hole in the roof, you get pockmarks:ohgeez:

1.5 trees have hit mine [one tree uprooted and other other half-collapsed]

GALD YOU WERENT HURT!:)

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a couple of pics I took this morning. It's a fairly large tree. It came through the roof and cracked several joists. It also took out the side of my back porch.

View from the front

MVC-001F-2.jpg

Here's where it hit. I was sitting just inside the small window. I never knew I could run so fast with my shorts around my ankles.

MVC-006F-3.jpg

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Good luck getting it fixed promptly. We had a visit from a large hickory tree in the wake of Hurricane Floyd some years back. Luckily it uprooted and must have come down slowly. They had to bring in a crane to remove it. I think it was 3-4 months before everything was finally back to normal.

Geoff

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
K A said:
Strange. Any idea why it fell over?
It appears to have been dead. There are two trees near it which are probably in the same condition, and we're going to have those taken down.

Here's a picture of the bottom.

MVC-009F-2.jpg

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
That happened a couple months ago at the school where I work. There was a dead tree between buildings, and its limbs started falling onto the buildings over a short (couple days) period. When I looked inside, it looked pretty much the same as the one in your above picture.

Hope everyone's okay and that you can get everything shipshape in a speedy fashion.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Holy H E double hockey sticks, Henry! Glad you made it out with relatively little damage. We had to have a black cherry tree cut down in our yard a couple years ago and two days later, the anchorman of one of the local news stations had $200,000 damage to his house from a single tree... Of course, it was about a $2,000,000 house with a slate roof and the tree actually crushed all the way through the attic, upstairs and into the downstairs rooms.

Again, cost issues aside, glad you made it out OK!

Last edited: