has the Inova x5 ever been updated?

falafelfro

Newly Enlightened
It seems like each new round of Inovas skip updates for the X5. Are the x5's in 2007 packaging the same as x5's from 2005?

greenLED

Flashaholic
I thought they changed the rank/bin on the LED's :thinking:
The body went some changes a while back as well.

rycen

Enlightened
They have changed the leds to the same as the new arc uses.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
To my knowledge they are on their 3rd version of the X5 currently. They had the original fluted body, then changed to the current body style, then they upgraded the LEDs (last year 2006 I believe it was).

Cydonia

Enlightened
That's right, 2006 version went to Nichia CS led's which are much brighter. Flashlightreviews.com X5 review shows the side by side beam (or flood) shots of the new X5 with Nichia CS leds VS the older version. Big difference. Now, I wonder if this increase in output is paid for by a decrease in run time? Flashlightreviews has the New run time graph for the X5... but where is the Old run time graph? Was there any difference between new and old versions in terms of run time?

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
They also made a MILSPEC version as well. Pea green with no markings and green
bezel. Not the brightest in the world but TOUGH,RELIABLE, and lonngg funtime, whoops
I meant runtime. I have one that I was told spent a couple years in Iraq and
nary a mark on it. :)

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Cydonia said:
Now, I wonder if this increase in output is paid for by a decrease in run time? ... Was there any difference between new and old versions in terms of run time?
IIRC, the new rank Nichias emit more light for the same power - so, no difference in runtime, but brighter.

MARNAV1 said:
They also made a MILSPEC version as well. Pea green with no markings and green bezel.
That'd be the X5-HA-NAT. The bezel on switch rings on mine are black, though, not green. It's a beautiful light.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's actually on its fourth generation.

Inova started out with the X5: a fluted body light that was activated by twisting the head; there was no tail switch.

The X5t was intro'd with a tail switch and fluted body. Then it was switched to the hexagonal body. Current generation has the same body, with the newest LED's.

-dan

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
gunga said:
I just picked up one of the latest X5's. Pretty neat and tough. Not as wild as the new cree stuff, but should be pretty bombproof when the sky is falling...

In addition to the Arc AAA-P, I think of the Inova X5 (latest generation) as my most reliable flashlight. Besides the super strong construction, the multi hour battery life inspires confidence.

gunga

Flashaholic
Can the same be said about the X1, gen2? Looking for a dependable, simple, long running light with AA for emergencies and gift for mom...

I was thinking Inova X1 or Gerber Infinity Ultra...

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
The X5 latest version and the X1 in both 1 and 2 versions are probably the most used lights I own. They are, in my experience, perhaps the most reliable, tough, long running lights I own. They are quite simply the lights I trust my butt on most and easiest.

The X0 (old straight body version) is probably a close third.

I like all the old straight body Inovas best.

Cydonia

Enlightened
For what it's worth I'll tack on another factoid ;) The X5 with red LED's uses a single CR123A cell! The extra space inside is made up with a built in black plastic "riser" on top of which is the normal shock absorbing piston for the Cr123A. The red X5 is my favorite Inova. Compared to the blue white glare of the white X5's I've had before... (The red, as expected, is soothing and assists your night vision instead of destroying it.)

MattK of batteryjunction recently stated here (when someone else asked why there is no red X1 version) that the red X5 is the best selling color!! I thought that was quite surprising.

flashlightsnlasers

Newly Enlightened
The X5 flashlight is the best carry light for daily carry..long run time..strong construction..bright enough for most situations,and it just looks good too..a real winner.:)

dlrflyer

Newly Enlightened
Actually the X5 with the old leds had a 20hr runtime, now you're lucky to get 8hrs. I think with the switch to Nichia CS led came a hefty overdrive, because there shouldn't have been a change in runtime otherwise. If you could get 20hrs with the current level of brightness, I'd be all over the current X5 because I love everything else about it.(Well I'd prefer AA to 123, but.....that's another story)

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I recall, someone said also that the older version of the X-5 had a much better tint than the current, brighter version. They said the newer [2006] version's tint was very blue. Can anyone confirm this?

Is there a new [2007] version of the X-5?