Exchanging huge files (and entire folders) over the web

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnarama

Banned
GigaTribe is fun and practical new software that allows you to share specific folders on your computer with friends (or professionals!) located anywhere there is an internet connection, and best of all, it's free!

Basically, you select specific folders (and therefore files) on your computer which you want to share and then you invite your friends into your network. They can therefore download files (and even entire folders of files) onto their computer and you can do the same from the folders on their computer that they're willing to share. You can even use GigaTribe to access your computer from a remote location (work, etc...).

It's 100% safe (128-bit blowfish encryption, no spyware/adware), you can transfer huge files (no-limit) and it's easy to set up. Furthermore, all exchanges are encrypted, so your exchanges remain confidential. For more info or to download free GigaTribe, go to www.gigatribe.com. I'm open to any feedback or questions you may have, just post them here or shoot me an email at john at gigatribe dot com.

screenshot1.gif

gigatribe-200x228.jpg

Greta

Flashaholic
Migs... yeah, we caught it. But figured that seeing as how this kind of stuff is discussed here in the Cafe often, we'd wait and see what you all think of it.

I believe it's SPAM... what do the rest of you think? :cool:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kinda - I'm guessing this concept uses peer-to-peer file-distribution protocol and of course that sets your computer up as a server thus slowing other activities. For that reason I won't use them but I'm curious if that IS what this is about (very likely IMO). Since it is free it would seem that there must be some catch to it or is it just that they need more servers out there (everyone who uses it becomes a server) to possibly transfer some data of their own that would otherwise cost them money. Sorry but I don't trust this stuff any more than a message from Nigeria.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the other hand having now checked it out a bit it appears it's limited in the free version and the catch is to get you to subscribe for $4/month or buy a permanent subscription. It does look interesting but I'll pass. And I think that fact that it's an attempt to get pay subscriptions makes this thread basically SPAM.

Darell

Flashaholic
What is most telling is if the OP ever comes back to respond...

This also isn't my favorite way of introduction on a flashlight board! This is his first post.

Greta

Flashaholic
LOL! good one Alex... :thumbsup: Ok... I'll close this now... but I won't delete it... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.