Fenix Cree Turbo mode affect LED life?

RoyJ

Enlightened
Just ordered an L2D, and have been wondering about this question: does the "turbo mode" lower the LED's claimed 50,000 hr life span?

The turbo mode seems like an overdriving circuit to me, with the "high" being the regular driving current. My biggest concern is how much life would the "Turbo" take away.

If it's 25,000 hrs versus 50,000, or even down to 10,000 hours, I'm perfectly okay. I mean, chances are I'm not gonna use a flashlight for more than 10,000 hrs. If we're talking 500 hrs however, then that's a problem (meaning Turbo mode is really not a continuous duty).

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all because 50,000 hours is nearly six years of continuous use nobody has really experienced whether the estimated life of a latest generation LED is accurate or not.

Concerning your specific question Fenix have only advised to limit the use of the turbo mode on P3D CE where the CREE XR-E is fed at 6V and the high heat generated at maximum level may age the LED itself.

In the case of L2D where the same LED is fed at 3V you are far below its operating limits so you can expect from your light its maximum lifespan whatever it really is.