Mini Mag CE or P4 Sandwiches?

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dumb question but I can't keep up with all that goes on here anymore. Is there anyone producing CREE or P4 pills, (or "sammies"), for mini mags like Wayne from the Sandwich Shoppe provided luxeon sammies?

customh

Newly Enlightened
That'd be MattK over at batteryjunction with the TLE-5EX. I have one, and its great.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, like customh said, only they're not actually sammies, they're droppin replacements, with the pins, which is better, IMO.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah the Terralux MiniMag dropins are great for what they do. What I've recently come to realize about them is that they make the head only partially screw down and therefore making them a little wobbly. A sandwich on the other hand stays within the body of the MiniMag, therefore allowing the head the screw all the way down. If you bought one of the MM Strike Bezels that were sold here, it makes difference on how solid the head feels. It doesn't look like The Sandwich Shoppe has been cranking out any sandwiches lately. If you've got some soldering skills, you could buy one of Lambda's MiniPro kits and slap an SSCP4 on it:

http://home.mchsi.com/~testlight/miniprokit2.htm

I've got one of those and it's by far the best MiniMag mod I've ever used...it outputs about 700mA, which according to SSC specs is 160 lumens at the emitter. It's too bad Terralux couldn't make their dropins a little more flat...

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks gents. I'll look at those but I'd rather not have anything where the head doesn't screw down tightly.

Effulgence

Newly Enlightened
Where can you get just the MiniMag heatsinks? I'm interested in direct drive on an SSC P4 since the top voltage is 3.8 and Li-Ions usually are 3.6/3.7V flavors. A 14500 and dummy cell would do just the trick.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah the Terralux MiniMag dropins are great for what they do. What I've recently come to realize about them is that they make the head only partially screw down and therefore making them a little wobbly. A sandwich on the other hand stays within the body of the MiniMag, therefore allowing the head the screw all the way down. If you bought one of the MM Strike Bezels that were sold here, it makes difference on how solid the head feels. It doesn't look like The Sandwich Shoppe has been cranking out any sandwiches lately. If you've got some soldering skills, you could buy one of Lambda's MiniPro kits and slap an SSCP4 on it:

http://home.mchsi.com/~testlight/miniprokit2.htm

I've got one of those and it's by far the best MiniMag mod I've ever used...it outputs about 700mA, which according to SSC specs is 160 lumens at the emitter. It's too bad Terralux couldn't make their dropins a little more flat...

you did take the plastic piece off right...thats whats preventing you to screw all the way down .....mine has no wobble at all, its perfectly snug tight ...and the sandwiches i see are just to costly , a drop in for 25 cant be beat and the 5ex puts out 700ma & heatsinked

customh

Newly Enlightened
qip forgets to mention a very important point though. I will be doing this washer heatsink mod once I address that point myself. The point is that the washer mod kills the twisty switch functionality, thus requiring a tailcap switch. One problem. All the minimag tailcap switches on the market either are of poor quality (nite-ize regular), have too much resistance (nite-ize IQ), poor quality control (tle-1), or have plastic threads and look stupid imho (kroll), so I decided to make my own mcclicky-based switch for minimag out of Al (and the mcclicky) which will have tailstanding capability, which the best of all those switches don't have (kroll and tle-1). There's incentive to wait till i start cranking them out. :D

Last edited:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
you did take the plastic piece off right...thats whats preventing you to screw all the way down .....mine has no wobble at all, its perfectly snug tight ...and the sandwiches i see are just to costly , a drop in for 25 cant be beat and the 5ex puts out 700ma & heatsinked

It didn't dawn upon me that you could take off the plastic piece. I do have a 5ex but my Lambda MiniPro is a hair brighter...I like the fact that the sandwich type MM mods sit inside the body rather than on the tip...and what sets the Lambda MiniPro apart from other Sandwiches is that is has a heatsink that makes direct contact with the MM body.

More info on the Lambda MiniPro kit can be found here:
http://customlightfactory.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36

qip forgets to mention a very important point though. I will be doing this washer heatsink mod once I address that point myself. The point is that the washer mod kills the twisty switch functionality, thus requiring a tailcap switch. One problem. All the minimag tailcap switches on the market either are of poor quality (nite-ize regular), have too much resistance (nite-ize IQ), poor quality control (tle-1), or have plastic threads and look stupid imho (kroll), so I decided to make my own mcclicky-based switch for minimag out of Al (and the mcclicky) which will have tailstanding capability, which the best of all those switches don't have (kroll and tle-1). There's incentive to wait till i start cranking them out. :D

The Lambda MiniPro Kit does retain the twisty functionality, but I prefer a tail switch. Not being able to stand on the tail withstanding, I think the original NiteIze tailswitch is pretty good. For one thing, it's not a reverse clicky (like the terralux), everyone I've used so far has had solid quality control (unlike the terralux) and even Wayne (Elektrolumens) uses it in his custom built Lucidus flashlights. I don't think Wayne would use the original NiteIze tailswitch in his flashlights if he felt that they were crap. I do like the idea and design behind the IQ switch, but it's too bad it takes a hit on total output capability. But if you do decide to make a batch of your custom MiniMag tailswitches, I would be interested in a couple.

customh

Newly Enlightened
The only reason why i said that about the Nite-Ize is because the switch itself wobbles/rattles a bit. I have also heard that it isnt waterproof. Just my .02

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only reason why i said that about the Nite-Ize is because the switch itself wobbles/rattles a bit. I have also heard that it isnt waterproof. Just my .02

Alrighty well if you start making that tailswitch you're talking about, please let me know. In the meantime, I may experiment with taking off the plastic piece so that I can screw the head down tighter with the Terralux drop in...

customh

Newly Enlightened
Alrighty well if you start making that tailswitch you're talking about, please let me know. In the meantime, I may experiment with taking off the plastic piece so that I can screw the head down tighter with the Terralux drop in...
Give it about 3 weeks and there SHOULD be a thread in the custom/mod BST to order them.