What camera are you guys shooting with?

EV_007

Enlightened
I see a lot of awesome beamshots and photos of lights of all kinds taken by fellow CPF members.. I was just admiring them all and was wondering what you guys used to shoot them?

I've been shooting with an older Canon G3. A 4 mega pixel, but it does take pretty good shots as long as I don't need 11x17 prints from them.

I just got a Canon S3 IS moving up to 6 MP. The super macro really lets me get close while maintaining a wide angle lens effect. The optical zoom is something else. The stereo sound recording while shooting movie clips is also cool . All for under $350.

I'm really getting into photography and may move up to a DSLR very soon.

So what's your picture maker and what special techniques do you employ, if any, in making such cool imagery?

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
My newest camera is an old Sony V1. I'm sure it's capable of much better shots than I've ever made. Good lighting seems to be the key. Older still is my 2MP Canon Elph S110 that is still a great little camera, but a bit short on settings and zoom.

Geoff

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
My digicam used to be a Sony CD200, which I got for €50 old-stock in a small shop. One of the best deals I ever struck; the pictures were really good for such an outdated digicam.
Then I got the voltage wrong on an external battery pack and blew it (thank you Sony for not including a €0.1 voltage protection diode in your originally €800 digicam).

I went back to using my hacked Nikon Coolpix 2100 for a while, then I got my present digicam which is a Kodak Z612... basically a cheaper Canon S3IS.

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
kodak easyshare V550. a simple, compact point-and-shoot digital with surprising results. 5 megapixel, less than $200 by now.
i want the wide angle, dual lens version now:)

Illum

Flashaholic
Canon SD350 powershot,
tiny, simple to operate, EDCable...inadequate for stingy experts, perfect for a clueless n00b...that I am:):ohgeez:

cutlerylover

Banned
I use mny camera alot on the forums, but I find I use the lowest quality setting to post pictures the right size...So it doesnt see its potential unless i am on vacation or somethgin...

Pentax Optio 30 - 3.2 megapixel

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Canon. Is there anything else?
5D, 30D, G7, S80. What ever I get in my hands. Unless I am setting up for a shoot, then it's the 5D hands down.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
For pics to upload on the CPF, previously a Ricoh GX, now a Canon G7.
Both have macro capabilities of up to 1cm on the wide side (28mm),
great for flashlight and parts pics.

Manual exposure is good for beam shots.

For other stuff, I just got meself a Canon 1D MkIII :D

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sony V3 for small handheld use. Zeiss optics and great macro depth of field. Sony R1 for larger "bridge camera" work. Sony Alpha 100 (Minolta Dynax) for bigger multi lens work. Switched this year from Nikon. I spend less time tinkering with the image out of the camera with the Sony's than I had to with the D-100.

The A-100 kit lens is obviously not that great. The Minolta 75-300 (now a sony lens) and the Tamron 11-18 (also rebranded a Sony for +$100) far outdistance the 18-70 kit lens.

But the V3 gets most of the CPF duties.

Bogie

Enlightened
I have not posted any beam shots yet but my cameras are Canon 20D & a 1D Mark II N, but I do sports photography.

thanos

Newly Enlightened
+1 for the nikon d80. Great inbetweener/prosumer, got the basic point and shoot dslr d40 modes and much of the semi-pro d200 tweaks. Needs the d200 light meter though. But damn, will those 18-200mm VRs ever go down in price....

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
My main camera is a Canon S3 IS, but I don't use it for beamshots. High-ISO shots with that camera are particularly noisy. I rarely use it at ISO higher than 100. I agree with you that the movie mode on the S3 is excellent, especially the quiet zoom and stereo audio.

For the beamshot pictures I use an Olympus C-4000. Actually, since this one is usually mounted to my tripod anyway, I tend to use it for all my "EDC" pictures including knives, flashlights, etc. Even though it's an older camera, the macro mode is equal to that of the S3 IS.

Bomo

Newly Enlightened
My main camera is an old Olympus C2100UZ. A real fun camera to use and I have had some very nice 8x10's made even though it's just 2MP. My edc camera is a Canon A520 - inexpensive but very nice point and shoot. I use an Olympus C4000 also - just annoyed at the max 128MB (obsolete) memory cards. For the 2MP C2100UZ it's not too much of an issue but is restrictive for use with w 4MP cam.