Advance Auto Parts 3W vs. Mini-Mag 3AA vs. MagLite 2D

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
While this has already been posted I thought it deserved its own thread... In the context of similarly sized lights. I do not have that 4AA light to test against it, which would have been a more fair comparison. Anyway,

AAP3W vs. MagLite 2D 3W and MagLite 3AA 3W...

I've used all 3 extensively...

Here is my review after 1 week of AAP3W...

Very practical, 2C is awesome. The 2D Maglite is huge by comparison.

The spill/throw/flood balance is just right and better than MM3AA. The overall size is shorter but not very suitable for EDC as it tends to sag and print badly in the dress pants. Jeans, might be OK.

Can one assume that given 2 C cells, NiMH each one being 5,000 MaH it's equivalent to a 4AA light with each AA cell being 2500MaH?

The run time is OK, but I think it would do better (meaning consistently) with NiMH.

All in all very neat tool to have when fixing your car, or hiking, or just EDC perhaps if you use the holster that comes with it. It's much smaller than 2D Mag.

Fit and finish: MagLites are nicer made. It has a cheap taste to it, frankly. I had to take a newspaper and insert it under the rubber grip, which was way too loose. Furthermore, the cells were rattling inside - not bad, just enough to annoy me and inserted rolled up paper inside which fixed it.

Switch This is where AAP3W totally dominates the MagLites, both of them. It's just so easy and intuitive to use. Very fast and can use *one-handed*, which cannot be said of MM3AA. Possible, but annoying.

Will I get rid of my MagLites? No way. One place where the 2D MagLites dominates is throw. (Which makes the Mag not so practical inside for example) And the thing about 3AA MagLite is that it uses AA cells which I use everywhere else. So chances are, for a serious mission, I will be using the MagLite 3AA. It too can only be carried in a holster comfortably.

I cannot wait until I get some decent NiMH for this 2C lite.. and upgrade the internals. Then it will truly shine.

Recommend, and give it 4.5 stars overall.

AAP3W.jpg