Rookie here... Surefire 6P = Fenix??

Bruce-YVR

Newly Enlightened
Hi all... a 40-year-old-virgin here [ LED flashlight, that is :) ] I would like to get a "nice" LED flashlight... and have read a lot of good stuff on Surefire and Fenix. I like the SF 6P a lot and would like to know what is Fenix's model that would be a fair model to compare with SF 6P??

TIA

Bruce

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
look into "general", there are 2 treads there that deal with exactly this topic
(at least they started with it)

:)

Talas

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the forums Bruce! Surefire's 6p is an entirely different animal from any Fenix model... primarily because it is an incandescent (although there are numerous LED upgrades available for it, I'm assuming you want an LED flashlight ready to go out of the box), and all Fenix models are LED. Surefires are expensive, and it shows in their quality; and although Fenix is less expensive and not manufactured for hard military use... they are much more expensive than most people are used to paying for "just a flashlight." That being said, I think that being new to LED lights that if you got a Fenix (start with an L2D) you would be blown away by the output and runtimes compared to what you might be used to (Maglites perhaps?) and feel that you got more than your money's worth. Careful though... you're at the top of a very slippery slope!!!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
A Fenix model that will compare with a 6P with the p60 lamp output wise is the L1/2D-CE according to Flashlighreviews(64 lumen 6P vs 61 of the L1D-CE on high/turbo vs 69 of the L2D-CE on high, 122 on turbo for the L2D-CE). Battery wise, the P3D-CE uses 2 CR123 batteries.

Toughness wise, none of the Fenix modes compare. Huntlight, Lumapower and maybe a few others are closer to Surefire in toughness but they are more expensive.

The Fenix 2 Cell models are Brighter them most 2 CR123 battery Surefires but the Surefire still hold the upper hand with quality. It all depends what you will need the light for.

And to others, please don't start another Surefire VS Fenix debate.

Welcome to CPF!

Last edited:

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF Bruce! You might consider a Surefire G2 (less expensive) and a Fenix. Incan and Led and you are off and running. Then never visit this site again if you want to keep some of your money. :twothumbs

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenixs' are surely more bang for the buck, but they don't come close to the feelsogood in your hand of an E2E.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
like to know what is Fenix's model that would be a fair model to compare with SF 6P??
Hi Bruce.
as to Your question: none.

imho the only fair thing to compare in battery powered lights is power consumed.
A single led is somewhat limited here, while the incans are not.
So to compare a consumer led light (all running on more-or-less 3.7 V and about 700 mAh), the SF-light to compare would be a 3P (3 V, 1.1 A)
These two are the same energy-eating-wise.

The great part is, that the leds are in a league with lights of double power like the 6P.

tman11

Newly Enlightened
Bruce,

I own a SF 6P and a Fenix P3D and love them both. They are both exceptional lights and are about the same price. You can't beat SF quality, but the P3D I've found is much more practical around the home with several light settings, lo, med, high, SOS, turbo, and strobe. You can always upgrade the 6P lamp with drop ins if you want more brightness later on. I'd say just get them both!!!!:D

the fuzz

Enlightened
Word to the wize

You have 2 choices to make

Choice one : Leave and dont look back (thats what i sholdve done)

Choice 2 : save the mucking around and purchasing step down lights, just go to the top and grab an m3.

it will save you alot of mony . Just get a great light now , then a handful of small lights b/c no matter how much lights you get it will lead you to the m3 SF

"One light to rule them all " Im still on the quest

good luck buddie

Hi all... a 40-year-old-virgin here [ LED flashlight, that is :) ] I would like to get a "nice" LED flashlight... and have read a lot of good stuff on Surefire and Fenix. I like the SF 6P a lot and would like to know what is Fenix's model that would be a fair model to compare with SF 6P??

TIA

Bruce

I feel there is more to it than just the specs. Even if the two have the same specs and performance, there is often a drastic difference.

Would you ever think along the line that Mercedes-Benz C230 = Hyundai Elantra?

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF, There are plenty of nice lights out there, Fenix would have to be one of the best for value