Problems with Mag 3AA LED?

h2xblive

Enlightened
I have a 3AA Mag LED flashlight, but it's been a real pain lately. The batteries leaked (probably not the flashlight's fault), but the LED rarely comes on like it should. I have to jiggle the head and hit it against my hand to get the flickering light to stay on. Anyone have this problem and/or know how to remedy it?

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the batteries leaked, you may have some corrosion causing the problem. Take it apart and check all the contacts, especially the shiny parts of the tailcap, the tip of the spring, and peek in at the contact at the head-end of the tube. If you see corrosion, you'll need to clean it off and make the contacts shiny again. Here's some helpful info and some products you can use.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/care.htm

Optionally, if they were big-name-brand batteries, and they seem to have caused the problem, you can contact the battery manufacturer. They'll probably want you to send them the light so they can inspect it and if it's the fault of the batteries they should send you a check to get a new one. Duracell, energizer, and rayovac all have a guarantee to cover products damaged by leaking batteries. If you go this route, do NOT try to clean it up first - just contact them and send it in if they ask for it.

h2xblive

Enlightened
I looked inside my 3AA LED Mag and cleaned up some dried up battery acid (or whatever comes out of a battery when it leaks). The light still works, but it's "flickery" just like it was before the batteries leaked.

Anyways, I have put this light away for good in the back of the drawer.

Now I need a new "main" flashlight...

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a problem with MiniMagLED flickering. The cause seems to be due to poor contact between the circuit board inside the module and the battery/case contacts at either end of the module. I solved it by pulling the module apart and adding a dab of solder to each of the circuit board contacts. This makes much firmer contact and I haven't had a problem since. Here's the procedure:

As for disassembly, first remove the batteries and the head. Then I used two small screwdrivers to push down on the metal case of the LED module where it is visible through the slots in the plastic retainer. It took a fair amount of force, but when it popped loose the module just dropped out the bottom.

Before you disassemble the module, mark the metal case where the groove in the plastic part goes so you can reassemble it with the correct polarity when you are done.

To get the module apart, just push in the plastic tabs on the side to seperate the plastic bottom from the metal shell. I alternated sides, pushing each tab in a little until it came loose. The circuit board may stay in the plastic part or it may stay clipped to the bottom of the LED which is glued to the metal shell. If so, just pull it loose from the LED leads, it just clips on.

Now add a dab of solder to the contacts in the middle of the circuit board on either end.

Do the positive battery contact on the plastic part too if you want. Then insert the circuit board in the slot in the plastic part. To observe proper polarity, you will notice that the plastic piece has a wider cutout on one side. The wider round component on the circuit board goes on this side, with the LED clips toward the open end.

Carefully reassemble the plastic circuit colder to the metal shell with the LED. Line up the slot with the mark you made earlier and be carefull you don't bend the LED leads. You may have to wiggle things a little to get everything to fall into place, but a gentle push will clip the circuit board to the LED leads. Once the module is reassembled, just put it back into the body. I used an unsharpened pencil to hold the module at the end as I pushed on the plastic retainer with the slots. Put the head back on and reinstall the batteries and you should be good to go.

One final note: Although I don't suspect it's the case since you just replaced some leaked batteries, the flickering can also be caused by low batteries.