Aspherical Mag project

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to build my own aspherical mag. Here's the idea: 4D mag body, this lens, SOB 1000, Cree running @ 1A, four of these NiMHs, and this charger, and maybe a crenellated bezel to protect the lens.

I conservatively estimate the runtime of this beast at around 12 hrs.

Or, the same setup but in a 2- or 3D mag with 2 or 3 NiMHs and a BBNexgen 1000, and runtime of about 6-9 hours.

Which should I build?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm...it seems that a BBNexgen 1A needs ~3.4v to start up, so the 2D mag is out. It's looking like the 3D mag is going to be it.

fletch31

Newly Enlightened
Shame surplusshed is all out of the 52mm aspheric lenses. They resulted in a much higher lux for the spot.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shame surplusshed is all out of the 52mm aspheric lenses. They resulted in a much higher lux for the spot.

Yeah. But I can still upgrade if I find a 52mm lens with a 37mm FL somewhere.

Anyway, it's still a hell of a light for $67 total.

KrisP

Enlightened
LukeA... Did you end up making this? I'm about to do exactly the same thing, when my heatsink arrives.

How did you secure the lens? With the stock Mag reflector the lens is held in place and the stock bezel won't screw down all the way. Without the stock reflector (how it would be if heatsink and cree was installed) the bezel screws all the way down but the lens still moves around... Does anyone know how this is meant to be done so that the lens is secured?

wintermute

Enlightened
I am interested as well - thinking about doing a cutdown mag with a 1 x LiIon C or D protected rechargeable for long runtimes and super small size (considering). I'm also wondering where he secured the aspherical lens.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lens actually fits perfectly in the rim behind where the lens sits in a stock mag. I'll get some pics up tomorrow. The only thing I've still got to do is cut some aluminum to use as a heat transferer from the emitter to the light body and mount the emitter to that.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
LukeA... Did you end up making this? I'm about to do exactly the same thing, when my heatsink arrives.

How did you secure the lens? With the stock Mag reflector the lens is held in place and the stock bezel won't screw down all the way. Without the stock reflector (how it would be if heatsink and cree was installed) the bezel screws all the way down but the lens still moves around... Does anyone know how this is meant to be done so that the lens is secured?

The 50mm lens fits. The 52mm lens, which was discussed earlier in this thread, and is not currently available, is the one that requires sanding down the bezel in order to fit it.

KrisP

Enlightened
I have the 50mm x 35mm lens (PL1028) here and as I said, it doesn't fit without the reflector fitted. The bezel screws down completely but that's not far to hold the lens tightly, it has about a 1mm space so the lens wobbles around if the flashlight is moved. This is in a 2D Mag.

Cydonia

Enlightened
They sell extra thick glass lens for Maglites without a reflector. That is the easy solution... 2.84mm thickness VS the stock 1.90. flashlightlens.com has em, but is sold out it seems. Other places sell these glass lens too, I think lighthound was one of them.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 50mm x 35mm lens (PL1028) here and as I said, it doesn't fit without the reflector fitted. The bezel screws down completely but that's not far to hold the lens tightly, it has about a 1mm space so the lens wobbles around if the flashlight is moved. This is in a 2D Mag.

You know the rim on the lens? That fits right into the rim in a D-cell head. It'll be fairly tight, but it'll fit.

KrisP

Enlightened
The lens is sitting down in the rim, the bezel is screwed on and this is the result below. Take note of the gap between the fully screwed down bezel and the lens. This gap causes the lens to move around and change angle if the flashlight is moved in any way. With the bezel screwed down completely there is still about 1-2mm space between the bezel and lens.
wontfit.jpg

Here is the lens seated into the head before the bezel is screwed down. It slots in perfectly.
seated.jpg

Last edited:

acourvil

Enlightened
Looks like a job for a thin 50mm o-ring or a small amount of RTV . . .

BTW, what is the optimum focal length for maximizing throw? Is it it the 37mm referenced above?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lens is sitting down in the rim, the bezel is screwed on and this is the result below. Take note of the gap between the fully screwed down bezel and the lens. This gap causes the lens to move around and change angle if the flashlight is moved in any way. With the bezel screwed down completely there is still about 1-2mm space between the bezel and lens.

Here is the lens seated into the head before the bezel is screwed down. It slots in perfectly.

I just put a 55mm dia., 3mm thick O-ring which fits perfectly.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was about to volunteer for this, but I see you're in Australia. It would be an easy job with a lathe to cut a whisker off the Mag head so the bezel ring seats firmly over the lens!

KrisP

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know a source of 50mm rubber O-rings?

[edit] Plumbing store didn't have any that large, but I looked in the online telephone directory and found a local business that deals in seals and various similar items. I'm going to see if they have any tomorrow.

Can anyone tell me why no one else seems to have had this issue??? :confused:

Last edited: