Gerber Infinity Ultra-M, worth the $30 price tag?

Modern_Major_General

Newly Enlightened
I'd love to know from someone who has the military spec version of the Infinity Ultra if it's worth the rather steep price tag of $30. Thanks.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back then--Yes. Now--probably not. Light still looks nice and works fine (have three of them).

Depending on your needs, the new LEDs are brighter (and last longer than overdriving 5mm's) and/or give you longer battery life (by 2-4x).

I would suggest looking for the new LEDs (like Cree's) better lights. Get one with at least two settings (very low and high) that uses a converter (more efficient)--and you will have a much more usable light (or backup light--since we always carry at least two).

But, for a backup light, a AAA version may be better (I keep one ARC AAA in my wallet with three extra AAA cells). The AA size light is just not as easy to stow.

-Bill

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have to agree with BB. There are better options now depending on what you think of as good. Others have reported that the mil version puts out LESS light than the regular (maybe the mil spec was for stealth?) which would suit most users less. Lots of options for less than $30 (Fenix E0? E1?..). Or if your heart says you want the Infinity, then don't ask and just get it.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say it's absolutely not worth it.
I don't think even the standard infinity ultra is worth its $15+ price, let alone the military version...
You can get CREE 1xAAA lights on DX for the same money (actually maybe less) that will blow the infinity ultra into the weeds.
It's still useful if you want superlong battery life, and you can mod it with a brighter LED, but it should cost $5 to $10, definitely not more than that.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get CREE 1xAAA lights on DX for the same money (actually maybe less) that will blow the infinity ultra into the weeds.
Yeah, the output on the new Cree lights will spank an IU. But those DX/Chinese lights aren't (as)waterproof and durable like an IU. I don't think we'll be hearing stories in the years to come about "How My DX-whichever Light survived a __________"
Drop down a mountian, trip through the washer, 5' drop from my hands to concrete, a season buried in the snow, runover by the lawnmower, run over by the car, etc.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have several of each. CMGs not Gerber. Bought a Gerber and gave it away. Output about the same. Milspec has collector appeal.

Yes the new lights will certainly out perform the Inf in everything except getting runover by a truck.

If I could have only one light and it was important to life/livlihood it would probably be the Inf Ultra (CMG, not Gerber)

cv3po

Banned
Nope, not worth it. In the current age of brighter is better and the more gimmicks (I mean features) the better, lights like the original infinity ultra sometimes get left in the dust. It shouldn't. The -M version is a waste, however. The original is almost bulletproof so I cannot justify the additional cost but the "normal" version is still a fine light for close up long runtime works when you need it apps.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the output on the new Cree lights will spank an IU. But those DX/Chinese lights aren't (as)waterproof and durable like an IU. I don't think we'll be hearing stories in the years to come about "How My DX-whichever Light survived a __________"
Drop down a mountian, trip through the washer, 5' drop from my hands to concrete, a season buried in the snow, runover by the lawnmower, run over by the car, etc.
I concur, but you can get two to four 1AA Simply Cree lights from DX for the price of a single Infinity Ultra (depending on type and shipping).
If one breaks, you shrug and get another one. Four Simply Crees would definitely last as long as a single IU (very likely a lot more), while giving a lot more light.

If I could have only one light and it was important to life/livlihood it would probably be the Inf Ultra (CMG, not Gerber)
What are the differences between the old CMG and the new Gerber versions?

paulr

Flashaholic
The Ultra-M was never well-received, it's just the Gerber design with a different finish and some narrowing of the beam. If you want a toughened Ultra, look for an old Ultra-G on BST. As for the DX Crees and whatsises, they're a totally different idea of a light, the Infinity series (including the Ultras) were never designed to put out high lumens, they were designed to be simple and functional and run a long time on a cell, and the CMG design was built like a tank.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's been a recent thread wherein someone posted the vital statistics (i.e. actual measurements) of the CMG. Essentially, it's a fairly thick anodized aluminum body with lug and a sealed twisty head. Not a lot of light but long runtime and very robust.

The Gerbers, to me, are pretty lightweight, different body design altogether. Not even close.

I like to play with the toys, but I consider the CMG a tool.

We're planning a trip that will take us pretty much away from civilization for a week or so. I'll take and use the L1D, P3D and a headlight, The Fenixs will probably work just fine but I'll have one or two InfinityUltras in the duffle, just in case. I know they'll work when I need them.

Maybe someone could post a pic of each?

edit Thanks Paul. My comments were regarding the Ultra and Ultra-G. I wasn't thinking of the Ultra-M.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
FR has photos of the CMG and Gerber versions of the Ultra (links below). The Ultra-G is like the CMG Ultra but has a less glossy green HA3 finish and has "U.S. Government" (in some instances with an NSN number) engraved on it. The Ultra-M is like the Gerber version but is black(?) and has that narrow beam deal. The closest thing being made to the Ultra-G today is probably the single led Peak Kilimanjaro, but the CMG design had a very thick, strong lug tail that I think looked a lot more no-nonsense than the (just as functional I'm sure) Peak keychain tail. Actually one thing about the CMG tail was its fairly large lanyard hole that you could easily run paracord through.

http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/cmg_infinity_ultra.htm
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/gerber_infinityultra.htm

Last edited:

Nell

Enlightened
I agree with Bigiron. It is not the brightest single cell AA, hasn't been for awhile. Fenix L1P took it into the current era. However I have a few of them in my emergency kit. When I travel, I carry it as I may not need the brightest thing with me. I love the long run time and the dependability of the unit. Super for reading and general lighting. If I need more throw, I need something else. It depends on what you are looking for. Think of it as a diesel, not fast, but it will get you there and back. Likely on the same cell.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't get me wrong, I still very much like my Ultra-G's... But (links to FlashlightReviews.com):

11 hours to 50%, 15 hours to 20% (Gerber Ultra) on Alkaline

~20 hours flat on AA Alkaline (more using Ni-MH or Lithium) (LID-CE)

And the L1D-CE has two more higher modes of light (best using Ni-MH or Lithium batteries--the Alkaline batteries don't do nearly as well).

I just did a quick check on my old Ultra-G and the P3D-CE on low (should be ~9 lumen) swamps it by ~10x (just a SWAG). It is possible that the old Ultra-G overdriven (IIRC) LED has been failing due to many hours of use. The P3D-CE is slightly brighter and whiter than my late production (first ARC incorporation) lightly used ARC AAA.

Granted the xxD-CE's from Fenix have glass lenses and might not do well when run over by a car--but there is little to recommend the older technologies (like the Gerber-Ultra) when comparing to what is available today (other than a more solid mechanical construction).

It is nice to have fond thoughts of old friends--but sometimes the memories are better because they are memories of good times.

-Bill

PS: FlashlightReviews.com does show the Fenix L1D-CE having about 10x the throw and overall light vs the Gerber-Ultra. So maybe mine is operating as designed.

Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't misunderstand me. The modern lights are great. I use mine and enjoy them. They haven't proven their reliability and toughness to me. Maybe they will after a while (I hope so, I really like them) The Infs have, so I trust them and until I've gained confidence in the newer lights I'll always have one (or an ARC aaa) around.

As I said earlier, the newer lights are still pretty much amazing and delightful toys to me. The CMG and ARC's are proven, dependable tools.

Spordin

Enlightened
Wha? I don't know how much the M model differs from the old CMG Infinity Ultra model, but I do know the old CMG I.U. model gives over 72 hours of usable light. In fact I remember there were a few runtime charts here long ago that showed almost 100 hrs of output. What Cree model does that?

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just hauled out my two old CMG Infinity regular and Ultra (before Gerber) lights. I haven't actually used either one in at least two years. I'll agree they are built like a tank but man they are so dim compared to what's out there I would only carry it as a emergency backup.

As mentioned they are very rugged, blows away my L1P in that regard but then again the L1P never failed me before although I guess I'd feel more confident about throwing one of the Infinity's against a brick wall.

Do they have a simple twist on 5mm AA light now that uses a more advanced LED (like a Nichia CS) then the old Infinity and Infinity Ultra but is just as rugged?

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the original CMG Ultra FR.com review... 41 hours (no runtime charts that I could find)...

CMG Infinity--
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Throw[/FONT] ~ 5 at beam center. (2.30) [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Overall
[/FONT]
~ 58 (0.58)

CMG Infinity Ultra--
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Throw [/FONT] ~ 25 at beam center. (4.97) [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Overall
[/FONT]
~ 282 (2.82)

Gerber Infinity Ultra--
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Throw [/FONT] ~ 22 at beam center. (4.7) [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Overall
[/FONT]
212 (2.12)

L1/2D-CE--
Level: Throw /Overall Output / Runtime hrs. (advertised)
L1D low: 270 (16.43) / 817 (8.17) / 25.0
L1D med: 887 (29.78) / 2730 (27.30) / 5.0
L1D high: 1300 (36.06)* / 4450 (44.50)* / 2.0
L1D max: 1300 (36.06)* / 4450 (44.50)* / 1.5

Assuming that the measurements are consistent over the years, That 1x AA battery in the original (should be) Infinity gave ~41 hours at 0.58 (at best a constantly declining light starting at 0.58 and ramping down to "zero"); the LxD-CE gives ~20 hours at 8.17 or 14x the light for 1/2 the runtime (put in a Ni-MH or lithium AA, and get 24-32 hours).

Maybe somebody should create a -CE AA light with the brightness of a Gerber Infinity--according to these numbers it would last ~[1/(1/14)light-level]x20hours=280 hours or more (~560 hours if cranked to 50% of the Infinity's midpoint power curve--assuming the regulator efficiency stays high enough at these low power levels).

I think, that these "moon" levels are what some of us were wondering if Fenix were to add or set their initial level at--instead of the ~9 lumen that they are doing now.

Throw that in a "bullet-proof" 1xAA body--would anybody buy it? Single or multi-Level light?

The new LED's and electronics are just incredible compared to that of five years ago...

-Bill

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Sadly, many people brush aside good lights just because the output to price ratio is lower than some of the new pocket rockets we see. Just because it has low output does not mean it is not worth the cash if it is a quality, well-built light. That said, I would rather have the Infinity Ultra than the IU-M unless you are specifically looking for a more covert model. Yes, I think the IU is worth it, in Gerber or CMG form.

paulr

Flashaholic
The current Peak Kilimanjaro's are the closest replacement for the Ultra-G. If anything their build quality is better, though a bit more "refined" (translation: metal is less thick). Peak uses modern led's which are maybe 2x as efficient as the ones from the CMG era. The more recent Gerber IU's also use modern efficient leds.

Throw means nothing for this type of light (Infinity series). They're intended for close-up use, finding your way around a room, fixing a circuit board that's directly in front of you, that type of thing. They use a 5mm led with no lens and no reflector, so they get a wider beam than the reflectorized Fenix. That means less throw but more spill. And for this application, spill is more desirable than throw.

This next part may be a bit of a rationalization but it seems to me that once you're at the 10+ hour range, runtime normally won't be that important either. The Infinity series work quite nicely with any AA cell including the absolute crap zinc-carbon ones that are about 5 cents each and in some places are basically all you can find. Higher powered lights like the Fenixes really want lithium or rechargeables--even alkalines can't really supply enough juice to run them at the high modes. I'd be interested in seeing some runtime measurements in the low modes on crap AA's, for both the Fenix and 5mm lights. So one finds oneself wishing for a way to lock out the Fenix's power hungry modes when low quality batteries are in it. Fenix unfortunately doesn't make a non-digital, AA powered flashlight with the most efficient led's at the moment.

Anyway the Infinities aren't high-tech any more but they're still very simple and rock-solid. I probably still have about ten of them (various models) and am quite fond of them.