Cree Announces Breakthrough 100-Lumen XLamp LEDs Available in Volume Quantities

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Even more interesting is the fact that they have a Q5 bin (107.0-113.6 lm). Evidently enough parts are hitting this range to warrant sorting them separately. If Vf is similar to the parts I've tested then the lm/W of Q4 bin should be in the mid-80s and the Q5 bin in the low 90s. We'll probably have volume production of 100 lm/W parts well before the year is out at this rate. :thumbsup:

LEDninja said:
Just a reminder both Cree and SSC have been making mutterings about a 167 lumen from 350mA LED by 1st quarter 2008.
This would be ~145 lm/W. Assuming they reach this in volume production, this means we'll be a good 3 to 4 years ahead of the projections of 150 lm/W by 2012. I wonder if there's been any unannounced breakthroughs in the lab. Last official announcement from Cree was 131 lm/W almost exactly a year ago. They had to have improved upon that significantly by now.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a reminder both Cree and SSC have been making mutterings about a 167 lumen from 350mA LED by 1st quarter 2008.
I remember hearing remarks when I first joined up about a year ago joking about a 200 lumen out the front keychain light with at least 30 minutes runtime being a "pie in the sky" fantasy that would never happen in the near future... One of those running off a 10440 at 500mA should be able to do just that :D

Anyway, this just reinforces my notion that it's best to buy lights that are modular, or that can be upgraded after the fact. If this actually pans out, that means we will have been seeing a doubling of single-emitter maximum output every 18 months, essentially similar to Moore's Law with microchips. I suspect this time that will come due to efficiency, and after that, due to increases in the amount of current that the chips will be able to tolerate (once efficiency starts to approach 100, even incremental improvements in efficiency lead to large improvements in waste heat production)

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
who wants to guess how many lumens its putting out at 917ma?
According to Newbie's measurements the P3 bin produces 80 lumens at 350mA and 160 lumens at 920 mA.
The Q4 bin produces 100 lumens at 350 mA.
The Q4 bin should produce 160*100/80=200 lumens at 920 mA.

reference:
Production CREE XR-E Testing
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=138503

my l1-s is obsolete before it even gets to me. dang it
oh well ill wait for my 27lt to get seoulmation.
I feel sorry for those who paid extra for a Q2 bin special edition Fenix.

Last edited:

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although there hasn't been much talk about this, I seriously hope that with this improving efficiency someone decides to come out with some LEDs that have more optimized color rendering -- perhaps using two phosphors, separate red and green. I would be willing to sacrifice some efficiency to have something like that, and I'm sure many others would as well. I would love to be able to replace my existing Cree P3 and P4 bin emitters with new emitters that produced the same flux, but with much higher quality output -- IMHO I would prefer that even more to greater flux with similar spectra.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm going to go broke trying to keep up! :) Be something to have a P2D type light putting out over 200 lumens or more by this time next year or sooner.

flashlite

Enlightened
What's the trade-off? Lumin maintenance? Color shift? There's got to be a trade-off. Always is.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Although there hasn't been much talk about this, I seriously hope that with this improving efficiency someone decides to come out with some LEDs that have more optimized color rendering -- perhaps using two phosphors, separate red and green. I would be willing to sacrifice some efficiency to have something like that, and I'm sure many others would as well. I would love to be able to replace my existing Cree P3 and P4 bin emitters with new emitters that produced the same flux, but with much higher quality output -- IMHO I would prefer that even more to greater flux with similar spectra.
I suspect they will do something like this to get in on the much larger general lighting market. After all, it is really this market which is driving LED R&D, not the much smaller torch market. Only problem is it seems LED manufacturers have it in their heads that ~3000K is what is needed for general lighting instead of a more optimal 3500K to 5500K (varies depending upon the person and the light intensity). I blame lighting designers who act like incandescent lighting is the holy grail mostly for that. Maybe some independent studies with the general public might confirm that 3500K and up is indeed what the majority prefer, and they will design high-CRI LEDs to cater to that. Even if efficiency of these LEDs is only in the 70s or 80s, it is still better than CFL. Incidentally, for RGB white, the most efficient spectra occur at a CCT of roughly 4000K. Again, this is pretty much optimal for general interior lighting.

Juctuc

Newly Enlightened
Its good news for the products like halogen replacements (mr16).I have few of those with XR-E at 700mA.It was good allready!.Just waiting new ones now!

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
you know what bothers me i just ordered two Q4's for my L1/2d P3d and 2 days later the Q5 comes in :ohgeez:....im telling myself its not that big of a deal considering its only a few lumens jump from q4 100 to q5 107 as compared to the stock that came with fenix which was 80

wintermute

Enlightened
you know what bothers me i just ordered two Q4's for my L1/2d P3d and 2 days later the Q5 comes in :ohgeez:....im telling myself its not that big of a deal considering its only a few lumens jump from q4 100 to q5 107 as compared to the stock that came with fenix which was 80

Where are you getting the Q5???

These were listed in a whitesheet back in March - the Q4s have just been shipped (within the last week). Q5s won't be mass produced for general modders for a few months. If you have found them somewhere - please let us know.

I think that Q5s aren't going to be available for modders for quite a while. I suspect that large companies, like SureFire, are going to grab up all of the Q5s for production - hence why we are getting the Q4s right now.

wintermute

Enlightened
Also, from jtr1962's post here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2054529&postcount=6
In any case this new blue chip seems to be roughly twice as efficient as the best EZ1000s. This should translate to white LEDs with about 150 or 160 lumens at 350 mA, or roughly 130 to 140 lm/W.
We should see a big jump in LED lumen/watts by the beginning of 2008. This is why flashligh manufacturers (see Fenix) should stop making it so difficult to change out LEDs. The new ones run on the same boards as the old ones with just more and more brightness.