Personal Defense

TAC AIRLIFT

Newly Enlightened
I'm asking for recommendations concerning an appropriate illumination tool that would serve to accompany my person during concealed carry. My goal if the opportunity should presents itself, is to temporaily blind and disorient an attacker, giving me time to engage as appropriate with spray, or weapon as necessary.

I have reviewed the following illumination tools:

*SureFire L4 & L5 ($165-$190 standard price).

*Bright-Strike BD-2C-3W-MH ($130 on sale from eguns.com).

*StreamLight TL-3 ($110)

*Inova T-3 (Non-TIROS 2007) ($58 on Sale)

The above selections decrease in price from top to bottom. I am not opposed to paying top dollar for the Surefires if it is truly warranted. The Bright-Strike was designed by an active LE for that specific community.
The Streamlight and the Inova appear to present well made lights without the high end pricing. However as the illumination tool will be used for strictly defensive purposes, I realize that you get what you pay for in most cases, but I don't want to pay for the status of a SureFire versus Inova if the quality and reliability are basically equal.

I also reviewed the LumaPower M1 as it is rated with 115 Lumen versus 100 Lumen for the SF L4-L5, and Inova T-3, and 90 Lumen for the Bright-Strike and Streamlight TL-3. I would prefer to stay away from the Chinese made and asembled lights, as I just don't feel comfortable with their overall quality. I also want to avoid the Cree versus Luxeon debate.

Your assistance is appreciated in advance.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'd go with the L4, unless you wanted a light to illuminate targets at some distance. In that case, the L5 is probably a better choice between the two.

BSBG

Enlightened
I have an L4 and highly recommend it. Bright and small enough to be carried virtually all the time. It does not throw as far as a 6P incandescent, but the bulb doesn't stand a chance of breaking if you drop it.

waynejitsu

Enlightened
For personal defense, try a Tigerlight or Cobra Stun Light.
They have the pepper spray built into the light.

LowTEC

Enlightened
the only light that possibly able to disable anyone with a flash would be Mac's torch or any 623 for that matter, a 3D would be good for a swing after blinding them as well, 2 in 1 weapon IMHO :whistle:

if hitting their head with a maglite wasn't enough, burn them

Last edited:

bones_708

Enlightened
Since you are looking for a light to work with you handgun, which I assume you will be carrying concealed, I would go with a two celled cr123 light for the smaller form. Personally I find the G2 hard to beat for price and quality. The size is so standard that it's easy to find off the self carry gear for any and all needs. You have accessories and aftermarket gear and parts. You can turn it into so many different lights it's hard to believe. From your list I can see you're a LED guy so drop in a cree and you're good to go (well ok the cree drop in seems like it needs some modifying) or you can chose many different lamps for the brightness you want in incan. As an added bonus if you later upgrade it will be a great backup/glove box light.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I too carry my light to serve double-duty as both a flashlight and as something to blind an attacker just long enough for me to get away, or to fight back.

Here's my take. (Please keep in mind that I'm not some arm-chair Warrior).

Surefire L4
This is my EDC most of the time. It's output at close range is excellent! The other light I EDC is my Surefire E2d. It's strike-bezel makes it better as a self-defense tool since you can both blind and counter-attack with the same tool. The 1 hour of runtime makes it less useful as a light compared to the L4. The shallow scallops on the head of the L4 means that the light can be pressed into service as a strike tool. But the E2d is better for that.

Streamlight TL-3
Despite the pocket-carry clip, the downside to this light is the length and the diameter of the head. Since it runs on 3 batteries, the barrel needs to be long enough to accomedate them. For me, reaching down to grab the light and orient it properly in my hand to access the tailcap switch is, awkward. That might not apply to others. The diameter of the bezel is another problem. I believe it's too wide for an EDC. Here's another option....

Streamlight TL-2
This one uses 2 batteries, and produces 114 Lumens of light. The barrel is shorter and the head is smaller, compared to the TL-3. One thing to watch out for, the pocket clip tends to loosen just a bit, over time. This will allow you to access the light faster since there won't be any hint of snag. But if you end up on the ground, fighting off an attacker; there's a good chance your light will fall out. Overall, the clip on the L4 is better designed.

Inova T3
I have more experience with the older model. But the main problem with all Inovas, except the X5, is the lack of a good holster. Many folks don't realize that a great sidearm means nothing if you don't have a well-made holster to go with it. The T3 is a good option. But keep in mind you'll have to spend extra for a good holster or quick-release belt pouch for it. And you might have to get a custom-made one. I live in NYC, when I bought my Trios-equipped T2, I couldn't find a holster for it. There's nothing wrong with the light, but since it's a pain to carry, I leave it at home. (Usually, you can find anything in NYC. But I still don't have a good holster for my T2). The other thing is that Inova has a reputation for being generous with their lights' Lumens numbers. So, you're not exactly getting what's printed on the packaging. Don't get me wrong, I love the Inovas I own, but I have to be honest.

Night-ops Gladius
Since this was brought up in the thread, I feel I should point out a big disadvantage of this light. (Don't worry, you'll have tons of CPFers telling you it's the greatest thing since sliced bread). Although there is a well-made holster for it, the main problem with the light is that unless carried with the tailcap locked out, it has a common tendency to turn itself on while you move about with the light in the holster, on your belt. This means that the only way to prevent this from happening is to always carry the light with the tailcap locked out. Problem is, if someone is getting ready to attack you, you can't just grab the light and instantly hit the tailcap button. For your needs, that's a big disadvantage.

Overall - I'd say go with the Surefire L4. If you want the disorienting strobe feature of the Gladius, rotate the tailcap switch on the L4 until it no longer comes on once you click it all the way, but does come on if you lightly press on the switch. Now, just press your thumb on that switch as hard and as fast as you can, several times; there's your strobe feature.

Based on size, the lack of needing to find and use a holster, and weight; I think the L4 would be the overall best choice.

Hope this helped.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Personally I recommend the Surefire G2Z. It is a good, tough light and is, in my opinion, the very best design for multiple grip options. You can hold it cigar-style to use with a handgun or you can grip it icepick-style with better hand retention than a light without the rubber CombatGrip rings. I found mine on CPF B/S/T for $50.

northjames

Newly Enlightened
ASP Triad LED. I have one and it is a great light. It is probably brighter than any of the lights you listed.

This light is more than enough to illuminate/identify a threat. I don't put any of my eggs in the "temporarily blind an attacker" basket.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Personally I recommend the Surefire G2Z. It is a good, tough light and is, in my opinion, the very best design for multiple grip options. You can hold it cigar-style to use with a handgun or you can grip it icepick-style with better hand retention than a light without the rubber CombatGrip rings. I found mine on CPF B/S/T for $50.

The only thing I'd add to your suggestion is that he get Surefire's Quick-release holster for all of Surefire's 6P and 9P-based lights, including the G2Z.

NelsonFlashlites

Enlightened
I'm surprised that no one mentioned the E2d. It's a nice light in it's own right, but considering the upgrades available...well, I'd at least give it a look.

-Blitzer strobe tailcap
-Lumens Factory lamp assemblies
-Rechargeable batteries

Just my thoughts...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm surprised that no one mentioned the E2d. It's a nice light in it's own right, but considering the upgrades available...well, I'd at least give it a look....

I actually mentioned it.... It's buried in my somewhat long post. ;)

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire L4
This is my EDC most of the time. It's output at close range is excellent! The other light I EDC is my Surefire E2d. It's strike-bezel makes it better as a self-defense tool since you can both blind and counter-attack with the same tool. The 1 hour of runtime makes it less useful as a light compared to the L4. The shallow scallops on the head of the L4 means that the light can be pressed into service as a strike tool. But the E2d is better for that.

Why don't you just take the bezel ring off an E2D and stick on your L4? Sounds like it would the best of both worlds for you. :)