2xAAA radiant versus bolt - worth buying?

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
I currently own a 2xAAA radiant and like it. However, I'm tempted by the new "bolt" 2xAAA. Does anyone that own both think the bolt is better and if so, why?

I've got an order with batteryjunction pending but want some info before I buy.

Also considering buying a 2xAA bolt as well for the wife around the house.

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have either of those lights, but I used to own both a 2AA Radiant and a 2AA Bolt, and I found the Bolt to be of much better quality.

RV7

Newly Enlightened
I don't really get the point of 2xAAA. Less capacity than 1AA but bigger profile. :shrug:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Have you considered the Victorinox 2AAA LED flashlight made for Victorinox by Inova?

LINK

Don't waste your money, here's why....

Best to stay away from the Vic lights made by Inova's Parent company. I bought a 2AA Vic model from a Brick & Mortar store. You have to twist the head to turn the light on, and unscrew it to change batteries. Imagine my surprise when the head got stuck, while I was slowly unscrewing it. (The light comes with batteries already inside of it, and they weren't working). The threads were bone-dry! I tossed that piece of junk in the trash....

Then I bought another one because I thought I had gotten a rare lemon. Nope! Once again, the light didn't turn on. I went around the block, bought a small jar of Vasoline, and very slowly unscrewed the head. It started to get stuck again! I backed off a bit, and tried again. After quite a bit of effort, I got the bezel off. Not only was this one also bone dry, but the threads were actually cutting tiny slivers off of the O-ring!

I changed the batteries, applied an obscene amount of lube to the threads, and slowly screwed the head back on. Now, it works. But I have no confidence in it.

I can't believe that Inova's Parent Company (Emerssive Energy) makes both Vic's line of lights and Inova's! I love Victorinox knives. I love my Inova lights. But the Vic lights are absolute junk! :thumbsdow

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
.... I bought a 2AA Vic model from a Brick & Mortar store. You have to twist the head to turn the light on, and unscrew it to change batteries. Imagine my surprise when the head got stuck, while I was slowly unscrewing it. ...

I had read your earlier post about the trouble you had with the 2AA Victorinox lights. That's disappointing.

The 2AAA I bought from Felinevet did not have that problem. The threads were fine, but I lubed both the thread and the O-ring anyway -- standard procedure for all my flashlights.

The Victorinox 2AAA construction is impressive. I have the version without the red rubber grip. The aluminum body is very thick and the window is glass. I viewed a 2AAA Bolt in the store but the rubber cushion grip made it thicker than I wanted for a 2AAA form factor.

I wonder if the 2AAA Bolt and 2AAA Victorinox employ the exact same LED and electronics? I suspect they do.

The tint on my Victorinox 2AAA is fairly neutral -- not too blue or yellow. But, it isn't much brighter than my Arc AAA-Ps which surprised me.

victorinox-2aaa.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I had read your earlier post about the trouble you had with the 2AA Victorinox lights. That's disappointing.

The 2AAA I bought from Felinevet did not have that problem. The threads were fine, but I lubed both the thread and the O-ring anyway -- standard procedure for all my flashlights.

The Victorinox 2AAA construction is impressive....

The two I purchased also didn't have the rubber sleeves. I lube my lights too. But I believe it's reasonable to expect a certain amount of lube to already be on the light when you buy it. Keep in mind, I couldn't get the head off of the first light the very first time I tried. There was no way for me to lube the threads in order to prevent the problem described.

I must admit that, as far as construction goes, it's quite good on the Vic models. The checkering pattern is nearly ideal. Sharp enough to prevent slippage, but not so much as to cut into your hand. The tint is also good. However, despite those positives, the Vic models I purchased proved themselves to be unreliable right out of the box. (Well, in this case, right out of the blister packs).

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must admit that, as far as construction goes, it's quite good on the Vic models. The checkering pattern is nearly ideal. Sharp enough to prevent slippage, but not so much as to cut into your hand. The tint is also good. However, despite those positives, the Vic models I purchased proved themselves to be unreliable right out of the box. (Well, in this case, right out of the blister packs).

I was surprised that you trashed one of your 2AA lights. The Victorinox lights have a lifetime warranty. It sounds like a QC problem with your 2AA lights. Perhaps they were among the first manufactured. That won't continue for long before Inova (the manufacturer) corrects the mistake.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I was surprised that you trashed one of your 2AA lights. The Victorinox lights have a lifetime warranty. It sounds like a QC problem with your 2AA lights. Perhaps they were among the first manufactured. That won't continue for long before Inova (the manufacturer) corrects the mistake.

I'll admit to having had a bad day back then and getting angry. So, I tossed that first light in the trash. But I've purchased cheap, no-name, Made in China, lights that were more reliable. I just couldn't believe that the same people behind Inova's line of lights were also the ones making these. I don't know if they were part of the 1st run of lights. The fact that the batteries no longer worked makes it a possibility. Still, no way to tell for sure.

I'm glad you had better results. But based on my personal experiences, when it comes to 2AA lights, I'll recommend the Rayovac 3watt, LED, 2AA model (as made by Nuwai) found at K-Mart. Brighter than the Vic model, comes with a carry-clip, and about 1/3 less expensive.

As far as 2AAA lights go, got to recommend the River Rock 2AAA model (also made by Nuwai) found at Target. Only thing to watch out for is that the blister pack will sometimes deform the included 2AAA batteries just enough that they don't work. Available in both black and polished aluminum, it's bright, reliable, and only $10.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as 2AAA lights go, got to recommend the River Rock 2AAA model (also made by Nuwai) found at Target. ...

We have one of those, too, but it is a disappointment and no comparison with the Victorinox 2AAA. The RR 2AAA we bought is super dim and super blue.

Thanks for your comments on the Rayovac 2AA lights. They are getting good reviews. I saw them at K-Mart, but I was specifically interested in trying out the 2AAA form factor.

Back to topic -- I don't have a 2AAA Bolt and it would be interesting to compare it head-to-head with a Victorinox branded 2AAA.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
So, as I have no interest in the Vic lights... back on subject. LoL

Opinions on the bolts and how they compare to the radiants light wise?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm thinking same company, same electronics, similar performance, but the Bolts would be far more durable than the Radiants. If you don't like the rubber sleeve on the Bolts, you can just slip them off. You'll end up with a thinner grip, but a few layers of friction tape can soon take care of that problem.

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello, I have both the Bolt 2AA and 2AAA.
Of course, the 2AA bolt is a whole lot brighter. I have been comparing both indoor and outdoor, next to other flashlights:

2AA bolt:
Compares very well with Fenix L2P v2 and Peak Mediterranean in output and throw. In my book, this is good output.

2AAA bolt:
When compared to the following lights : Fenix E1 and L0D ce, Peak Pacific 2AAA
The 2AAA bolt seems to fall between the Fenix E1 and the L0D ce on medium. The 2AAA bolt clearly falls behind the 2AAA Peak Pacific high power, certainly when it comes to "throw". When fitted with 1 AA or 1AAA cell, the Pacific HP has about the same output as the little bolt.

Advantages, when compared to these other lights:
- I like the "tail twist" and momentary function
- Neutral color of light
- will not roll off the table
- strong
- simple operation (one stage) + regulation should make it a good light for the non flashaholic, in need for a good flashlight

Disadvantages when compared to these other lights:
- with use, the rubber cover will get a looser fit around the barrel.
- batteries are positioned "in the wrong direction", so: take care!
- 2AA is bright and very useful output (eg: in the backyard) the 2AAA is less bright. Even though I like the 2AAA a whole lot, I must concur, it's power is not really better than a Fenix E1 (which is a whole lot smaller) (at least: my samples)
- Not dunkable

Finally, I like the bolts as I think there is a need for good quality lights with standard cells. I only wished Fenix would make the single output L2P again...:poke:

Hope this helps,
Joris

Last edited: