Question about SF E2L and L2?

tim003

Newly Enlightened
I have both of these SF, for some how the E2L throw more whiter beam than the L2 , is this normal? BTW what is CREE? Sorry for the newbies questions, any help would greatly apprecitate.

Tim

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2 is a flooder, so yes, the E2L will throw better. CREE is a type of LED that is very efficient and puts out more light, at the same current, as a LuxIII LED.

carrot

Flashaholic
The L2 puts out more overall light than the E2L but the E2L concentrates what little light it puts out into a tight beam. That allows the E2L to run for longer periods of time and throw well. The newer Cree E2L released just a month ago runs for much, much longer -- 9 hours before dropping out of regulation.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
tim003, In case you are wondering about the color tint differences between the light:

LEDs have different tints. It's one of the characteristics the manufacturer cannot control completely right now.

Most LED lights have a slightly different tint from each other, even when they're using the same LED from the same manufacturer.

The E2L uses an LED from the manufacturarer Cree, the L2 one from Philips Lumileds. Would be very surprising if both had the same color.

tim003

Newly Enlightened
Wow, thanks for all the responds. I definetely looking into buying the new E2L with CREE feature but how can I tell if it is the new or old model.

lightr07

Newly Enlightened
Wow, thanks for all the responds. I definetely looking into buying the new E2L with CREE feature but how can I tell if it is the new or old model.
The new model's use a new type of TIR optic. Meaning if you look at the lens it won't be rounded. It will be flat, You should be able to slightly see the LED but it should like slightly magnified but you should be able to see it. The packaging will also look different than the current one (Will post pictures)

The front / top of the light should look like this, You should be able to get a good look at the LED, Compared to the previous model where you couldn't see it with the previous type of TIR: (Picture from MorpheusT1, Hosted by me.)
creel1sclearasday.jpg

And also the packing should look like this: The old one will look like that just without the yellow sticker (That package is for an L1 but the E2L is the same really.) (Picture from: EV_001)
l1-package.jpg

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
The new (current) E2L features the KX2 bezel rather than the KL1 bezel used by the old E2L. The bezels are labelled by the model number being laser etched onto them.

Looking out for the 'new yellow' sticker on the box is another way.

Note that SureFire do not, and never have used "TIROS lens".
"TIROS" is a trademark of Inova.

SureFire working with SAIC design completely different TIR (Total Internal Reflection) optics.
(SAIC are R&D experts in non-imaging optics as well as being experts in many other fields)

Also, be careful with using the term 'lens' -

Better to use the terms 'optic' to refer to the "lens" used to create the beam of light.
For example, here is a SureFire TIR optic photographed by Shelby Chan:
TIR-1635sm.jpg

... and to use the term 'window' to refer to the [so called] "lens" used to protect the insides of a flashlight and allow the light beam to escape.
For example, here is a SureFire domed Pyrex (tempered glass) window photographed by Shelby Chan:
06883sm.jpg

and here is a SureFire flat Pyrex window (again, photographed by Shelby):
3629sm2.jpg

Some SureFire windows are domed, or were domed, others are flat.
The KL1 featured a domed window.
The KX2 features a flat window.

I hope this helps?
Al

Last edited: