best mag 3d upgrade?

nitrolight

Newly Enlightened
Hey

What will the best led bulb upgrade be for my magite 3d? I've heard the terralux ones are good but i'm still new to the flashlight world so any suggestions will be appreciated!

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/

I guess it all depends on what you are looking for, and how much you are willing to spend. TerraLUX makes several versions of an LED drop-in that will work in a 3D Mag... but with mixed reviews here on CPF, especially from some of the more inquiring minds that took the time to dissect and analyze the components used to build them. Others have gotten perfectly acceptable results using them.

On the other hand, Gene Malkoff has begun offering these no-holds-barred premium drop-in LEDs that have become somewhat of the gold standard here. Whether the increased cost (over a TerraLUX) is worth it.... only you can decide.

For about the same cost as Gene's drop-in you can get a nice Wolf-Eyes light with a 4 mode digital LED drop-in that puts out about 170 lumens. Hmmmmmm decisions, decisions. Keep reading as many threads here as you can, and pretty soon I think you will begin to see what might suit your needs best. Happy hunting!

zamboniman

Newly Enlightened
The 3d version of the LED drop-in that mag-lite makes is quite good. It has a higher output that any of the other drop-ins that mag-lite makes for their flashlights. I'd say get that, then put a nite-ize upgrade bulb in the tailcap -- you'd get a high and low mode, though it would be hard to switch between them.