Tigerlight versus mountain lion

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Lightraven! You're back! How are you? Good to see a post from you.

Yes, interesting. And yes, it does read like a TL promo. But it's almost certainly not.

And what should be pointed out is that a bright light all by itself would not have detered the mountain lion. A lot of people here on CPF seem to think that a very bright flashlight is some kind of stun gun or something. Not so. Any really determined and pissed off human or animal will be un-detered by a bright light. A bright light is most useful in combination with a real force option such as pepper spray or a handgun. All by itself--not so much.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like an optimal scenario to employ the Tigerlight effectively. Good thing there was no wind. In most cases of mountain lion attack, the cat will be on you before you ever see it and will be unable to do anything but fight for your life...

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like an optimal scenario to employ the Tigerlight effectively. Good thing there was no wind. In most cases of mountain lion attack, the cat will be on you before you ever see it and will be unable to do anything but fight for your life...

right you are. classic ambush predators. often attack from behind (or the side or overhead in some cases). in some areas backpackers actually wear a mask with a face on the back of their heads in an attempt to confuse the big cat.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is why I'm not a cat person.

I started a thread about a dog and my Surefire awhile back. The only thing my Turboheaded 9P did to what turned out to be a very friendly dog was keep him from slobbering on me. He ran up to my light and licked it while it was on!

Know your surroundings!

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Jim,

Yup, I'm back after a little break from the whole flashlight scene. Also back on the afternoon/evening shift where I can get some use from them.

Between Los Angeles Sheriff's Department and reviews by other law enforcement types, the Tigerlight seems to have a good reputation.

Jim, there does seem to be a desire to use a flashlight beam (especially one that strobes) as a complete solution to self defense. It's legal, it's non-injurious, it's not overly expensive--but its benefits are very limited.

I think many people overestimate the number of confrontations, crimes and fights that take place in darkness where a flashlight would be of any benefit. Where it is dark, a flashlight is a good thing to have, we all know that. However, a flashlight beam, strobing or otherwise, offers only a very modest advantage in a confrontation or fight.

Many people may not realize just how violent and determined human predators can be. Some of these guys will fight to the death for no good reason.

lightplay22

Enlightened
Thank goodness for the pepper spray capability or this could have been a very terrible story! YEA Tigerlight!