Fenix or Surefire?

copierguy_mobile

Newly Enlightened
I know that Fenix vs. Surefire sounds like a no brainer but I was looking at a P1-CE with a Q5 mod when I found the SF EL1 cree.

by the time you total up the Q5 and the mod fee the P1 is about $100 and the EL1 is also about $100 (at TADgear). The lights are pretty similar although I would expect the Fenix to be brighter.

So the question is really: is Surefire all that? should I pass up the Fenix based on SF's reputation?

I have an L1T, it's a nice light but I wouldn't call it bullet proof like my Inova's. I've never owned a Surfire, so help me out on this one.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I thought they both had great reputations. That's like saying" Coke or Pepsi "

Is one supposed to be better than the other?
I strongly disagree with your comparison. Comparing Fenix to SF is more like comparing cheap boxed wine to a bottle of fine aged German wine.

Fenix is not bad (I have a bunch of their models), but the quality and engineering that goes into a SF is far beyond whatever Fenix can offer (I have several SF's too).

Copier - given the information you've shared, I'd choose the SF, hands down and eyes closed.

NYCblue

Newly Enlightened
I think they are both great! They don't have to be pitted against one another. We know that folks can develop a little too much of an obssesive attachment to their lights and defend them like they were they own children.
I have both, I like both. If you are someone on a budget, I think the fenix lights are fantastic. They are one of the first lights my family reaches to grab for around the house illumination! When I go out for my night walks there is nothing better I'd like to have in my pocket than my Surefire M3 with the CB bezel sweetened with a High output Lumens factory bulb. Surefires are much more suited for SWAT teams, but hey, I want one! and own some!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I strongly disagree with your comparison. Comparing Fenix to SF is more like comparing cheap boxed wine to a bottle of fine aged German wine.

So you're saying what comes out of a Fenix (light) is inferior to what comes out of a Surefire (light)? :)

No doubt Surefires offer a more solid light, built much more heavy duty. However, I don't know if Surefire's regulation is as good as Fenix's. Also Fenix so far seems to be ahead as far as light output.

So it's not really fair to say Surefire trumps Fenix in every aspect. As far as I'm concerned the only edge Surefire has on Fenix is ruggedness. Fenix offers smaller, lighter lights, which is a plus for many that don't need to deflect bullets with their lights. Fenix also offers multiple light levels that go brighter than what I've seen from Surefire. Fenix also brings out newer LED's much faster than Surefire.

So it all depends on what you want from the light. For me Fenix works better because I don't need a giant gnarled thick piece of alumnium to house my lights, the sleek lighter aluminum Fenix offers is better for my needs.

looman

Enlightened
To be honest, I have both and use them for different and similar roles.

However a direct comparison is not really going to give you much joy as they are really aimed at very different markets and I would happily recommend and buy either.

I would certainly consider the P3D in a Q5 over the rebel as it seems to emit more though for less duration and runs well on primaries. However, you cant do stuff at home like get a smooth and OP reflector and the head is sealed in the P3D.

There are also other things to consider like tail cap function, build quality, warranty and back up/customer support etc.

Both have their place in the market and for use.

I have a U2 that is well built and pretty bomb proof even surving being dropped on concrete.

I have a P3D which I have on me every day as it is cheap, small, slim and a very good output even before the Q5 or the Rebel versions and I now have a Tiablo A8 for that 200+ output from the front and a tight beam than is as wide as Usama bin Ladens circle of friends.

I like and use them all for different reasons.

greenLED

Flashaholic
So you're saying what comes out of a Fenix (light) is inferior to what comes out of a Surefire (light)? :)
That question is similar to me asking you whether you've stopped beating up your wife...

I was mostly mocking the Pepsi vs Coke comparison, but I see now that my twisted humor got lost in translation. See my second post in this thread for a closer statement of what I think:

Each has their place, value, and utility. Each person should look at their own needs and wants and decide accordingly. All these Fenix vs. SF threads have long lost their welcome.

...and that's all I have to say because everybody knows :stupid:

Last edited:

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
All these Fenix vs. SF threads have long lost their welcome.

Thank you green for saying this, I couldn't agree more.

I own about an equal amount of Sure Fires and Fenix lights and choose which light to use based on my needs at the time....and while the debate continues and drags on, the guy who feels you only need dollar keychain light to get by laughs and shakes his head.

Braddah_Bill

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Surefire is quality based on:
1- Craftmanship- Where the threads are smooth, each piece goes together with close tolerance from careful machining, mechanical feel is just right.
2- Style/Design- Appeals to the eye, designed to fit in your hands for easy operation, each model is designed for specific use in mind.
3- Reliability- I found it's the one tailcap that I was able to take a part a repair, since there are no parts soldered, electronics on LED models have great protection which are almost idiot proof, incandescents are designed to easy lamp change, shock isolated on some models when needed.

No doubt Surefires offer a more solid light, built much more heavy duty. However, I don't know if Surefire's regulation is as good as Fenix's. Also Fenix so far seems to be ahead as far as light output.

So it's not really fair to say Surefire trumps Fenix in every aspect. As far as I'm concerned the only edge Surefire has on Fenix is ruggedness. Fenix offers smaller, lighter lights, which is a plus for many that don't need to deflect bullets with their lights. Fenix also offers multiple light levels that go brighter than what I've seen from Surefire. Fenix also brings out newer LED's much faster than Surefire.

So it all depends on what you want from the light. For me Fenix works better because I don't need a giant gnarled thick piece of alumnium to house my lights, the sleek lighter aluminum Fenix offers is better for my needs.

copierguy_mobile

Newly Enlightened
Ditto - and that's why I have such a hard time when people start putting them on a reference scale and comparing them like that.

Comparing them is the only way I know of to make a buying decision. I understand that they are different and if they are not comparable then I guess that's what I needed to know.

:oops: Sorry for starting the SF v. Fenix feud over again. There's no need for folks to take sides, that's not the point.

I'm a technician, I have lots of $$$ tied up in tools (from scopes and meters to screwdrivers and flashlights) and I try to buy the best tools I can afford but I don't like spending money for "high end" brand names if those names don't deliver.

I know Fenix makes a good light, I was just attempting to find out if the SF name is all it cracked up to be when the lights are at the same price point.

Greg

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
As stated before in other threads Surefire has that slight edge on quality that most people would never know the difference. It is like Disneyland and Magic Mountain....I prefer Disneyland for the creativity and details they put in their rides even though they both have good rides. I own Surefire, but I EDC a cheap modded light from DX, since I don't have worry about losing it and it works.
Comparing them is the only way I know of to make a buying decision. I understand that they are different and if they are not comparable then I guess that's what I needed to know.

:oops: Sorry for starting the SF v. Fenix feud over again. There's no need for folks to take sides, that's not the point.

I'm a technician, I have lots of $$$ tied up in tools (from scopes and meters to screwdrivers and flashlights) and I try to buy the best tools I can afford but I don't like spending money for "high end" brand names if those names don't deliver.

I know Fenix makes a good light, I was just attempting to find out if the SF name is all it cracked up to be when the lights are at the same price point.

Greg

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Folks, does it really take 14 posts before we even begin to address the original question?
This seems like it would be an easy decision because the lights are so different.

Let's review what the OP is asking (thats right read the first thread and not just the title, imagine that)

P1-CE with a Q5 mod vs SF EL1 cree

Price: about the same
Brightness: Fenix wins
Multi levels: Both have 1 level. (unless you were talking about the digital model)
Runtime: EL1 wins
Efficiency: Fenix wins (best LED currently available)
Beam: Optic vs textured reflector (on this alone I would go with fenix but its a personal decision)
Size: Fenix way smaller
User interface: Twisty vs tactical clicky. Clicky wins for most, see size.
Long Term Durability: EL1
Short Term Customer service: 4Sevens wins in the short term. Surefire CS has gone to crap.
Long term CS: 3 yrs from now 4Sevens may be retired in Hawaii and surfing with Don, so who knows.

What else am I forgetting?

Last edited:

batmanacw

Enlightened
First Post!!!!!!!Wooohooo!:party:

I have been a Surefire fan for a long time. This last week I recieved my first order of Fenix lights, the cree versions of each size (AAA,AA,2AA,123,2x123).

The quality of the beam on the surefire edges out the Fenix lights for useable flood and smoothness of the beam.

The Fenix lights are bright, small, and efficient.

If I am working around the house, the Fenix wins hands down. If I may have to beat someone or smash something, I want my surefires!

They really are for two completely different situations, but both are really awesome for what they are designed for.

I have the Surefire U2, rated at 100 lumens and it is definitely going to be my first choice for clearing my house during a break in. (If I don't grab the 225 lumen M3 first)

I will have more of both, but the Fenix lights are so much cheaper and they are really impressive for the money. They will both be getting more of my money.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who in the right mind would compare Fenix and Surefire?
Answer: CPFers.

Seriously... unscrew a fenix tailcap and then compare it with the standard E series clicky. Look, gold contact springs in the Fenix, look at the thin walls, then check out the Z tailcap. It's the same with other parts. Fenix is designed to be bright, small and light. The manufacturer exploits it's design, uses minimal amount of alloy to maximize their earnings.

Now pickup a Surefire. Just spend a minute look at the beautiful curves. The contours are not just there for show. It's there for a purpose. They are ergonomics and for better handling. If you got thick gloves on, you'll find yourself warmer, because you don't have to take them off to swap batteries. All these extra machining, extra beefy metal you get are $$$, and they don't come cheap in USA. While your at it, look at the patent numbers, do we really need them?

Put aside the tailcaps, look inside the body tube of a Surefire. It's yellow, why is it yellow? It's alloy, it's suppose to be silver/grey, like my alloy Fenix. Well if you don't know, you don't have the right to say Fenix is better.

Put on the tailcaps, screw it back. The Fenix screws without effort. Now, do the Surefire. Can you feel the resistance of the o-ring between the body and tailcap of the Surefire? So which is more waterproof?

Again, they are two different lights, both serve their useful purposes for what they are designed for. Because of this, they have gained popularity and the fanboys are busy raving on their lights. I say it's very personal opinion when it comes to lights. I love my Fenix for AA cells and lightness, I love my Surefire they impress anyone just by it's looks. I love cpf because this kind of debate is totally useless for a common person, because an average Joe would just buy the cheapest light right? Fenix or Surefire won't stand a chance.

5yjahab.jpg

Last edited:

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Koala, the inside of surefires' tubes are yellowinsh in colour is due to Chemkote, a chemical used to minimise corrosion on aluminium.....

Surefire or Fenix? These can't be compared, totally different. I have owned and used both, and I still prefer Surefires' representation of an Illumination Tool on output pattern, quality, durability and design.

Where cola's are concerned, I prefer Tesco's cola, better taste at the right price!

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know!!!.. You should not let it out here the Fenix fanboys will be jealous... :naughty::naughty::naughty:

Koala, the inside of surefires' tubes are yellowinsh in colour is due to Chemkote, a chemical used to minimise corrosion on aluminium.....