Can the Novatac be modded--?

hds-lover

Banned
Hy, new here but i wondered if the novatac 120p can be modded let`s sy with a Q5 for example as "easy" as the old hds lights? I`m asking because I prefer warmer tints and the increased output would be great.:whistle:

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would ask the mods to move it to the Homemade and Modified Lights section.

As far as modding it, I have no idea how the circuit is configured.
But the light is very easy to take apart like the original HDS.
Once you remove the bezel, and reflector, the led placement looks
very much like an HDS.

Lets see who will be brave enough to try an emmiter swap one day..LOL

hds-lover

Banned
I would ask the mods to move it to the Homemade and Modified Lights section.

As far as modding it, I have no idea how the circuit is configured.
But the light is very easy to take apart like the original HDS.
Once you remove the bezel, and reflector, the led placement looks
very much like an HDS.

Lets see who will be brave enough to try an emmiter swap one day..LOL

I`d love to but have no idea how ;( ...Help move this darn thing:crazy:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

If you can mod a HDS you can mod a Novatac.

No real point though until there is a bigger leap in efficiency. The only disadvantage to the P4 is that they don't heatsink as well. The Novatac is thermal regulated to minimise heat damage. If you use high a lot you might seem some lumen degradation in a year or two.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can prove to me that a Cree would be better than a Seoul. I'll tell you what you would need to do the mod.

PS Nobody to my knowledge has ever modded a HDS or Novatac to a cree, it would require machining the heatsink and a new reflector. The SSC P4 mod on the other hand is super easy.

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Milky did 1 Cree HDS mod. That's right a CREE mod not a Seoul.

I remember he used a cut down Nuwai Q3 reflector and a glowring. I just don't know how he got the Cree in the light.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
according to Mcgizmo's sample test the cree Q4 outperformed the seoul and rebel 100:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2096243&postcount=53

i'm interested in the new Novatac, but i would really want a light that i can upgrade in the future.

it seems like cree is improving the fastest and if their R4 comes out sometime next year then it seems to me that would be a nice upgrade for the Novatac.
that is if seoul doesn't improve, if they do then i'd rather just stick with a seoul upgrade.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you would like a warmer tint in your Novatac, get a USVOH Seoul LED from PhotonFanatic. USVOH will provide the nice warm tint that you desire, and will require no other modifications to your light. Keep it simple.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any light that can be opened can be modded. So yes the Novatac is modable. Which LED is the hottest thing on CPF will change month to month. So it's kind of pointless to discuss if such and such hot LED will fit at this time. Come back when your willing to spend $60 to gain a noticable improvment, which I don't think you'll get at this time.
"All mods are equal, some are just more equal than others."

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
according to Mcgizmo's sample test the cree Q4 outperformed the seoul and rebel 100:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2096243&postcount=53

Keep on reading past the numbers:

... if one starts factoring other considerations in beyond that of efficacy, it gets more confusing as to who has the better LED. For the market at large, there is serious weight attached to things such as price, lumen maintenance, consistancy and availablilty of tint and its control, thermal and electrical considerations in mounting of the LED's and of course the quality and nature of the raw light output and distribution and how it can be managed by additional secondary optics....
I'll personally wait for the V bin Seoul's before I even consider a mod :whistle:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
very good point cave dave,

i guess it's not that easy to drop a cree in place of a seoul.

it seems a lot of work would be needed to get the reflector right with the cree.

i guess i will wait and see what the v bin has to offer.

thankyou for your reply:)

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reflector wouldn't be that hard to deal with. The real problem is the heatsink has a machined slot designed just for the SSC LED. (Note: The SSC is the same size as a Lux III emitter.) Trying to put a Cree in there would be like putting a square peg in a round hole.

This is the HDS module, the Novatac looks similar but colored red.
43wo684.jpg

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well can't be that hard the emitter part of the Cree is about the same size of the Lux 3 including the package. All you gotta do is trim off the excess Cree package with a rotary tool very carefully. I've tried twice and cracked the ceramic.

There still has to be a way.