Fenix LOD-CE switch wear?

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this light. It is my favorite as I take it everywhere. I've "lost" it only twice for a couple days. I'm sure I'll lose it permanently like one of my photon Microlights some day...

I was wondering about the quality of the twist head switch used to control the light. Has anyone wore this out? Sometimes I get poor contact causing flickering and mode jumping. As long as it is kind-of twisted tight it is okay.

Thanks!

cdosrun

Enlightened
HI John,

any flickering is almost always caused by dirt rather than wear. The 'only' place that the light can wear is the tinned positive contact in the head and I think it would take quite a while to wear it enough to cause problems.

To clean the contacts, take the cell out and clean the top of the holder where the cell sticks out, that is the negative connection for the light and tends to accumulate grease and dirt; that will probably solve the problem. If the flickering persists, you can clean off the positive pad on the head and the negative one that runs around the perimeter of the circuit board with an alcohol soaked cotton wool stick.

If a thorough clean doesn't eliminate the flickering then your light may have a problem. I would also recommend lubricating the o-ring and threads after cleaning it off.

Andrew

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Andrew, it was noticable from day one. Like I said, if I turn it firmly, no problem, but I tend to go easy on things.

PegAir

Newly Enlightened
Everytime I replace my battery I use a QTip to clean the center contact that connects to the positive nib on the batter, and the ring on both the head, and the body. No solvents, or anything, just rub with a QTip. Turn the QTip over and run it over the threads a couple times, re lubricate, and I'm good to go.

I use lithiums in mine, and I use it very sparingly, so they last a very long time (A couple months or more). So this cleansing is at about the right service interval for me.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
To me this Fenix (and others) system is by far the best since there really is nothing to wear out or break and it doesn't get gummed up with oxidation very easily. One of my problems with Arc, JetBeam, and the old CMG was the need to frequently clean the threads for good contact. With Fenix lights I seldom do much more than rub the end of the battery tube when changing the cell.

Geoff

paulr

Flashaholic
I use mine fairly frequently and haven't had probs but I figure those PC board contacts will wear out sooner or later. In yours I'd try cleaning the contacts and maybe using some Pro Gold.

sanseiryu

Newly Enlightened
Lubing the threads with a light grease makes a tremendous improvement in the operation, very smooth and light. Should prevent wear to the threads and to the gasket. I got the special edition Q2 LOD CE. I am afraid of losing it. It is so dang small. The amount of light it produces is just brilliant, all from a single aaa battery. Just amazing.
George