Fenix EO CE?

Bearcat

Enlightened
I'm I the only person wanting one of these with a Cree LED?

* 10 Lumens

* Super Long Run-time

* Simple Twist On Off Operation

* No Complicated Modes To Deal With

* Small Compact Dependable Key-chain Light

* $19.95 Free Shipping :)

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
One-mode, low power Cree light? Where can I find one of these?!

Fenix, please read Bearcat's advice :thumbsup:

Oh and take into consideration the JetBeam Jet-u and how some people want to buy it solely due to its looks and design, not necessarily output :)

crocodilo

Enlightened
I'm I the only person wanting one of these with a Cree LED?

* 10 Lumens

* Super Long Run-time

* Simple Twist On Off Operation

* No Complicated Modes To Deal With

* Small Compact Dependable Key-chain Light

* $19.95 Free Shipping :)

I'm a big fan of the E0, I'd love one of those!

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why would you want an LED that can take 1500mA only to just run 50mA through it? At that drive level the CREE XR-E isn't going to be as efficient as the best 5mm LEDs (sure it might last longer but still...).

It's kind of like asking a manufacturer to fit Z-rated 186mph tires to their wheelbarrows.:nana:

Last edited:

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about 9 Lumens at 20 mA Nichia 5mm LED :D

LRI Photon is going to come up first with such a LED light :) .... soon others will follow...

Bearcat

Enlightened
It seems to me after reading the reviews that the Fenix EO is a pretty darn good AAA key-chain light with a great run-time, but there were complaints about it not being quite bright enough.

Without giving up any run-time, it seems to me that a more efficient LED would double the brightness and make it a great simple to use key-chain light.

I don't want one of those overly bright key-chain lights at the expense of run-time leave me in the dark after 45 minutes:candle: or a tiny key chain light with all those modes to deal with.

So what would be the best LED and AAA key-chain light combination to get what I want?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
And to add to Bearcat's comment, . . . a lower output, longer lasting AAA light that wouldn't have that "angry blue" color tint to it.

I would definitely be buying an E1 CE with a single mode and twist head!!!!

+10 to my own comment!!!

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
It seems to me after reading the reviews that the Fenix EO is a pretty darn good AAA key-chain light with a great run-time, but there were complaints about it not being quite bright enough.
So what would be the best LED and AAA key-chain light combination to get what I want?
Sounds like you may want the Fenix E1.

I gave mine away since I didn't like the ringy beam, but it's a good trade-off of light output and runtime.

It's also a better design for moding/upgrading over the E0, since it has a lens protecting the emitter. The E0 is an exposed 5mm dome, and a Cree or SSC wouldn't last long left in that state.

aceo07

Enlightened
I don't think this will ever happen until there's a big competitor that's going to offer much lower priced lights to force Fenix to create an inexpensive light.

IMHO, Fenix has no intention of lowering their price point of $40 for their new lights. They know people will buy it at this price (or more) and making any light cheaper will only serve to decrease profits.

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
Selfbuilt's right on. I have the E1 - it's a great light unless you're shining it at the wall and the ring bothers you. Essentially the same size as an E0, glass lens, well built.

Mine's in a bedside basket for middle of the night trips to the bathroom - the dog doesn't like being stepped on, and my wife doesn't like being wakened by stepped-on dogs. For a low-lumens carrying around light I use innova's photon clone or a Garrity.

The E1's rated at 3 hours, you might double that with a lithium AAA if it matters. Using it 2 minutes at a time, I'll probably never deplete the original battery.

Ozniot

Newly Enlightened
I'm satisfied with the light level of my current Fenix EO. The reason it stays in the drawer is the irritating purple-violet tint.

cdosrun

Enlightened
I will jump in by agreeing that the E1 is a nice little light, the ringy beam was distracting in use (not white wall hunting) but I followed a simple mod that was posted on here and have enjoyed using it since.

If you haven't seen it:

Open the head up (a couple of rubber bands on each side of the head and a heavy twist was sufficient with mine) and use a black marker to darken the 'throat' of the reflector. The ring in the beam is produced by a reflection from the shiny throat, once made less reflective, the beam is really quite nice and the 'mod' is totally reversable.

Andrew

DaveG

Enlightened
Glad to hear you guys talking up the E1,thought I was its only fan.I had carried a Dorcy-aaa as my EDC,but once I got the E1,it has taken over where the Dorcy left off.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
And you should see how nice the E1 becomes when a SSC LED is dropped in. I modded mine and the beam is very white and no rings after the mod. I put in a SXO cool tint LED I got from Photonfanatic on the dealers corner. Suprising output and nice runtime on Lithium primary AAA - about 5 hours of flat regulation.

aceo07

Enlightened
And you should see how nice the E1 becomes when a SSC LED is dropped in. I modded mine and the beam is very white and no rings after the mod. I put in a SXO cool tint LED I got from Photonfanatic on the dealers corner. Suprising output and nice runtime on Lithium primary AAA - about 5 hours of flat regulation.

It is hard to mod the E1? Was it the current model of the E1?

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
an E1 Rebel may be better than an E1 CE. The Rebel may be better suited to a really small reflector to produce some throw compared to an all flood CE version.

trailstoride

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like you may want the Fenix E1.

I gave mine away since I didn't like the ringy beam, but it's a good trade-off of light output and runtime.

It's also a better design for moding/upgrading over the E0, since it has a lens protecting the emitter. The E0 is an exposed 5mm dome, and a Cree or SSC wouldn't last long left in that state.

Why not get the LOD-CE? On medium (~ 20 lumens) the LOD runs about 3 hours - the same as the E1, but almost twice as bright. If you want/need longer runtimes, drop the LOD to low and get over 6 hours.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whenever someone gets the Rebel version of the LOD, AND has the LOD CE, I'd like to see a comparison of the two beams on the first Medium mode.

Now, considering that one of these will be mostly used indoors and at close range, would you want a more flood-ish appearance, or one with more spot and perhaps less flood?