Curiosity got the better of me again (Fenix L1T 2.0) Pics added!

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England
I just purchased an L1T 2.0 from Lighthound, should be here in a couple of days, I mainly bought it because I was curious about the Lumileds Rebel, as it seems to have a warmer tint than the Cree and SSC P4 based lights

I like warm tinted LED's, my Seouled KL-1 has a nice, creamy warm tint, very pleasing, if the Rebel has a similar tint I'll be quite happy

As to why the L1T 2.0 and not the L1D CE?

I like the simpler interface of the two stage LxT lights, and I wanted to try out Fenix's implementation of a forward clicky, I also wasn't a fan of the "ringy" beam of the Cree based Fenix lights

the last "new" Fenix I bought was either the L0P SE or the L2T Lux, so it's been a while since my last Fenix

the L0PSE gets quite a lot of pocket time, as does my original L1P (which I'm toting today), the L2T is just a tad too long to be pocketed, it fits better in a belt holster, but nothing has yet displaced my Aviatrixed A2 Aviator yet, and I don't think any light will, the L1T 2.0, however, is just the right size to be dropped in a pocket and forgotten until needed

the L1T 2.0 looks to be a great EDC light, hopefully it will live up to my expectations

Last edited:

phosphor

Enlightened
Re: Curiosity got the better of me again (Fenix L1T 2.0)

I just bought one too......and think that the simple UI will suit me well ! It is perhaps the ideal EDC/back-up for my needs.......a two stage, single AA light with useful run times and plenty of light on high and "enough" lumens on low. I am perhaps unlike most here in that my "older" eyes appreciate a "brighter" low... the very low setting on some lights tend to cause eye strain. I also like the momentary feature on the new tail cap. I have always been well served by Fenix's engineering in the past.......I trust their lights.

- regards

Last edited:

mick53

Newly Enlightened

Curiousity has got me too.

What is this new (to me) acronym, UI, I see starting to pop up all over the place?

Please don't tell me it's one of those new phony, cool sounding names that good old plain English has plenty of words for.

I mean I get a laugh out of them sometimes when they are used ironically or sarcastically, like "Environmental Recyclables Engineer" for garbage man but what's wrong with plain old English?

Mike

edc3

Enlightened

UI = User interface. To switch modes on this light you simply turn the bezel. To switch modes on my P1D I have to twist of and then on again. I like the UI on this light better.

SPUTMA = Some People Use Two Many Acronyms. :D

What is this new (to me) acronym, UI, I see starting to pop up all over the place?

Please don't tell me it's one of those new phony, cool sounding names that good old plain English has plenty of words for.

I mean I get a laugh out of them sometimes when they are used ironically or sarcastically, like "Environmental Recyclables Engineer" for garbage man but what's wrong with plain old English?

Mike

Last edited:

phosphor

Enlightened

Mike
.............there certainly is a much simpler more "accessible" way to express my meaning than using "UI" ( User Interface ), Mike, I'm afraid I have just fallen "prey" to the use of acronyms here on the forums. Perhaps I should just stick with the more easily understood phrase "the way in which it operates".

- regards..... from a senior citizen...er..I mean "old guy". :)

mick53

Newly Enlightened

Hi,

I hope I didn't come off as contentious.

I really didn't know what "UI" meant and I know the CPF search engnine doesn't like two letter entries so I didn't bother with a search. It occurred to me later I should have used the Google/CPF engine. I need to just use it and forget about the CPF engine all together, I guess.

After I did use the Google/CPF engine it was still difficult to figure the meaning out since everybody was simply saying "UI." I was picking up the meaning simply by the context in which it was used, but then I found one thread in which the man who started it used the acronym and then put "user interface" in paratheses. Thanks for that.

Don't know if I will ever use it though. It does strike me as one of those "DIEPF" type acronyms. DIEPF, as I'm sure some of you know stands for "Digital Ingress/Egress Portal Facillitator."

Sounds like some electronic device used for Internet access or something like that, doesn't it?

We simply called it a doorknob in the old days. :confused:

Mike

Last edited:

smvtsailor

Newly Enlightened

Does the L1T 2.0 have the same PWM issue as the L0D, where you can see the flashing?

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast

Does the L1T 2.0 have the same PWM issue as the L0D, where you can see the flashing?

I've had one for a couple of days, and the thought hadn't even crossed my mind. I checked it just now and if it does, it doesn't bother me much. Someone will have to look at it with a freq counter/scope, cuz I haven't seen the LOD flicker before.

The L1Tv2.0 does have a little Low setting turn on flash though. Annoying but I use High most of the time.

Spin

Enlightened

Is there a big difference between the L1T 2.0 & the L1S ?

Gunner12

Flashaholic

The L1/2 and P series of Fenix lights use current regulation for their multiple light levels. They lower the power to the LED instead of pulsing it at a high frequency so there should be no flickering.

The L1T 2.0 is a much brighter then the L2S(90 lumen vs 37 lumen, manufacture rated). The L1T 2.0 uses the newer Luxeon Rebel 80 which is about twice as efficient as the Luxeon I used in the L1S(I wish they used the Rebel 100). The L1T 2.0 also has HA III and a forward clickie compared to the type II anodizing of the L1S. The L1T 2.0 is also supposed to be water proof.

phosphor

Enlightened

The L1/2 and P series of Fenix lights use current regulation for their multiple light levels. They lower the power to the LED instead of pulsing it at a high frequency so there should be no flickering.

The L1T 2.0 is a much brighter then the L2S(90 lumen vs 37 lumen, manufacture rated). The L1T 2.0 uses the newer Luxeon Rebel 80 which is about twice as efficient as the Luxeon I used in the L1S(I wish they used the Rebel 100). The L1T 2.0 also has HA III and a forward clickie compared to the type II anodizing of the L1S. The L1T 2.0 is also supposed to be water proof.
If you can live with the lower lumens the L1S isn't a bad little light.....the low price point makes them a perfect gift to give to non-flashaholics or for stashing as emergency lighting in an office desk drawer or travel kit. Nothing cutting edge does one find in the L1S, just reliable performance.

- regards

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

So these have flickering?
LOD
L1D
L2D
L2D-P

and these don't?
L1T 2.0
L2T 2.0
P2D
P2D-P
P3D
P3D-P

l1s125

Newly Enlightened

LOD
L1D
L2D
L2D-P

and these don't?
L1T 2.0
L2T 2.0
P2D
P2D-P
P3D
P3D-P

No, only the L0D flickers. It's the only one that uses pulse width modulation. Every single other light uses current regulation.

Gunner12

Flashaholic

l1s125, you beat me to the draw.

I think only the L0D series use PWM so all of Fenix's AA and CR123 lights should not have PWM so your list should say:
LOD

and these don't?
L1D
L2D
L2D-P L1T 2.0
L2T 2.0
P2D
P2D-P
P3D
P3D-P

MacTech

Enlightened
Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, Earth, USA, New England

I just recieved my L1T from Lighthound, it was actually delivered one day *early* (first time I've *EVER* had exceptional service from UPS)

The light feels very solidly constructed, nice, thick walled aluminum body tube, the threads are actually pretty clean, only a slight grittiness, that should go away with a light coat of silicone lube

the reflector has a nice light orange peel texture, and has no scratches or other defects in it, the window is also spotless,

the light has a decent heft to it, it's heavier than I expected it to be, it's not actually *heavy*, but it does hold more mass than expected, it actually gives me a good, confident feeling, the light feels substansial and solid, almost Inova level, that pleases me, as every Fenix I've owned after the L1P seemed to be getting lighter and thinner, they just started feeling "cheap", my Luxeon P1 was the best example of the "light and cheap" feeling Fenix, without a battery installed, the P1 felt very delicate and fragile, by comparison, the L1T's body tube and head feel like a *tank*

the tailcap, however, is a sore point here, I ordered the L1T 2.0 because it came with the new forward-clicky "Tactical" switch

Mine shipped with the standard Fenix reverse-clicky :mad:

I've contacted John at Lighthound, and i know he'll make it right, it's just a little dissapointing to be expecting a tactical switch and to get a mediocre reverse-clicky instead

as far as the actual light produced, I thought I wouldn't be happy with the 15 lumen low, as it's too high to be a true low, but it turns out, those 15 lumens are just right for general use, the 90 lumen high is great for those times when reach is needed, the OP reflector puts out a nice balanced beam, a decent hotspot that seamlessly flows into a usable spill on high, on low, there's a bit more demarcation between the hotspot and spill

if used closer than a foot on high, there are some faint, but visible artifacts around the hotspot, "swirlies" for lack of a better term, in actual use, they're not even visible

compared against my SSC E1L-SR, the beam has a faint purplish tint, but used on it's own, no tint is discernable, not even the warm tint i was hoping for, it's just white, on high, the L1T is almost equally matched in brightness to the E1L-SR, it seems a hair brighter, but that's mainly due to it's tighter hotspot, the E1L-SR leans more towards the floody side, the L1T leans more towards the throwy side

the L1T 2.0 is a very nice light, solidly built, bright, and easily pocketable, running on the ubiquitous AA cell, a great little EDC, my light loses a few points for being mis-shipped with the standard reverse-clicky tailcap, but i know Lighthound will make it right

And now my standard hallway beamshots, thanks to my new-used Nikon Coolpix 990 I can take manual exposures finally

Exposure setting is 2 seconds at F2.8 for each pic, metered off the Fenix L1P as baseline exposure

L1P Baseline;
L1PvsL1T2.jpg

L1T 2.0 Low (15 Lumens according to Fenix);
L1T2low.jpg

L1T High (90 lumens according to Fenix);
L1T2Hi.jpg

Last edited: