how big is too big for holstering a light

grass disaster

Newly Enlightened
just how big is too big for having a light in a side holster?

i'd like a light with tons of power and lots of throw. i'd like high and low. something with good quality and longer run times. something i can throw in a holster.

it seems like the lights i'm attracted to may be too big to put in a side holster.

just how big is too big?
is there a light you would reccomend?

Patriot

Flashaholic
It depends on the application. For walking around in the hood probabaly no larger than a 3x123 size M3ish light. Out in the woods I could carry a bit larger maybe Boxer24w size or M6. I'm under 190 lbs.

BGater

Enlightened
If its not for EDC and you want a long range thrower, look at the Tiablo A8 and A9, and also the Lumapower MRV. I have a Tiablo A9 and think it would be about my limit on comfortable belt carry. The Tiablo and MRV are about equal in size, and they can blaze a spot a long way out. My A9 has a very useable low with long runtime. I dont own an MRV so I cant comment to much on it but have heard nothing but good reports about this light, also. With the A9 and an 18650 battery, I can put some decent light on a tree at 200 yards.

How much will you be carrying it, what price range, and what type of battery are you wanting to use ? Also, will you be needing to use the light for close in work as well as long range ? There are tons of nice lights that can fill the bill out to 75 or 100 yards.

sysadmn

Enlightened
Between keyboard and chair, in the US Midwest.
There's a lot you can do with 3xCR123a as the upper limit. See the Wolf-Eyes M90 Rattlesnake or 9A Raider or the Surefire 9P/3C. THey have Cree versions that are well regarded, but you still trade throw for runtime with the LED versions. I've carried the M90 holstered - it was more the length than the fat head or weight that got in the way. Get in and out of a car and you realize why LEOs choose CR123a lights over Maglites.

That said, also look at a 2 C Cell maglite with a Malkoff Devices drop-in.

Last edited:

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
130mm is about the maximum size light i will edc give or take a couple of mm or so. and i hate the holsters i see, they expose the light so people can be like "Whats that metal" So i use a maxpedition M1 side pouch, so i can put my phone in there and my Ultrafire C2. nice and slender. So now i can say "Oh thats where i put my phone and stuff i want to have with me" :whistle:

flash_bang

Enlightened
If you fall over backwards it's too big!!! LOL
should've followed that rule when I was picked out my backpack for school :twothumbs
I ended up settling on an everest deluxe hiking pack, yes, for school.
techwg said:
130mm is about the maximum size light i will edc give or take a couple of mm or so. and i hate the holsters i see, they expose the light so people can be like "Whats that metal" So i use a maxpedition M1 side pouch, so i can put my phone in there and my Ultrafire C2. nice and slender. So now i can say "Oh thats where i put my phone and stuff i want to have with me" :whistle:
I don't know, I don't care if people know I have a flashlight with me, kinda annoying if they ask for it a ton, but people always give me crap about it at HS, but every time I've been over at a friend's house, I've used my light. So I think it's a good tradeoff :thumbsup:

HAGO,
Flash

PayBack

Enlightened
Ah yes I've seen those and the beam shots, and I'm seriously considering getting an LED drop in and ASL for one of my Mags. Though I think the A9 has a normal lens?
I'm after a light good out to 1-200 yards and I think the A9 might be it if it runs for a decent amount of time. My Ultrafire WF-500 puts out a great amount of light but the LOP reflector make it too floody.

EDIT. Sorry I didn't look at the pictures in your link closely enough. I thought you were only suggesting the aspherical lens, but one of the lights there is a Tiablo A8? Not what I expect from an LED! :D

Last edited:

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah yes I've seen those and the beam shots, and I'm seriously considering getting an LED drop in and ASL for one of my Mags. Though I think the A9 has a normal lens?
I'm after a light good out to 1-200 yards and I think the A9 might be it if it runs for a decent amount of time. My Ultrafire WF-500 puts out a great amount of light but the LOP reflector make it too floody.

EDIT. Sorry I didn't look at the pictures in your link closely enough. I thought you were only suggesting the aspherical lens, but one of the lights there is a Tiablo A8? Not what I expect from an LED! :D

The A8-Q5 has the same emitter as the A9, but with a driver better suited for 18650 batteries. ie ~90 mins of FLAT MAX brightness.

grass disaster

Newly Enlightened
i would only holster it for hunting, camping, walking.

i have no need to holster a light daily.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A8-Q5 will fit in your front pocket with the head sticking out slightly, just enough to grab it easily.

PayBack

Enlightened
The A8-Q5 has the same emitter as the A9, but with a driver better suited for 18650 batteries. ie ~90 mins of FLAT MAX brightness.

Doesn't the A9 have a 3 hour runtime on high? With more Lumens and runtime than the A8 (maybe that info is dated?) and candle mode, it looks great bar the silly grip thing near the back.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Grass disaster,

Welcome to CPF.

My largest light that I regularly carry is the TigerLight FBOP. It is about the size of a 2D Mag.

I will admit that it is a little on the big size, but I find the amount of light it produces and the beam pattern very useful.

Then there is the "Pink Panther..." It is a whole new experience in lighting for me. Check it out in the Home Made and Modified section of CPF.

Tom

KentuckyMike

Enlightened
I work in a business casual environment, and my Uncle Mike's duty holster or my V20/21s look out of place with khakis and a golf shirt. But the rest of the time I can normally pull it off with a 6P/G2/A2-sized light in it. For me, the social limit is lower than my comfort limit, at least at work. For the uses you specify, though, it's all about what YOU can handle. I remember long ago seeing cops walk around with Mag 4D, 5D, and even 6D's hanging from their gunbelt. A lot is POSSIBLE, but not always practical. (That cop with the 6D was about 6'1", 160 lbs.! That was some sight...leaning tower of police.)

What kind of belt do you normally wear? Do you keep anything else on your belt when you're out there, or anything heavy in your pockets? These will be factors, too...

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't the A9 have a 3 hour runtime on high? With more Lumens and runtime than the A8 (maybe that info is dated?) and candle mode, it looks great bar the silly grip thing near the back.

But the A8-Q5 has the Q5 emitter, same as A9. Unlike the A8, the A9 doesn't have Flat Regulation with 18650's. Check out the first graph.

Though I do agree, the "anti table roll device" is kinda silly. Luckly it can be removed.