Good Sub $30 LED for B-day gift?:BOUGHT!

cac313

Newly Enlightened
Greetings all,

Here's my first post so be gentle!

I've just gotten back into the whole flashlight deal/craze/addiction (?) recently when I had to replace my keychain LED (a little SL TwinTask that came with my UltraStinger many years ago). The Fenix L0D-CE is very cool and I appreciate all the good info on CPF that helped me make that decision.

ANYWAY, my best friend's b-day is coming up and I wanted to get him something that would get him hooked...er that he would LIKE but wouldn't be too expensive if he didn't care for it. I've looked at the other Fenix models but just can't come to spend that much for something that he might not care for.

I've seen several threads on DX, UltraFire, MTE and the like and I wanted some opinions.

My parameters are;
1. Under $30
2. AA battery (1X or 2X)
3. Reasonable throw/output
4. Reasonable quality
5. Decent run time (I don't see him using rechargables yet)

If it could be something with some "WOW" factor (I haven't shown him my L0D-CE yet ;)) that would be even better. Multi-mode is not a necessity.

Here are two that I have found that LOOK like they would work.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1993

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1995

in that price range I would consider throwing in http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6121

I appreciate any insight you can offer.

Thanks,

Craig

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Good Sub $30 LED for B-day gift?

There is a battery fit ptoblem with the Mini Ultrafire 602C Seoul SSC 42180-U Flashlight (10440/AAA). Review here. Read all posts!

MTE seemed to have fixed the early problems of the 1xAA SSC-P4 42180-U Flashlight. They also glued the head to the body now. Hotspot very bright but still big enough to be very useful. Brighter than an L0D-CE/NiMH on high, about equal to an L0D-CE/10440 on medium. Review here.

Don't have an UltraFire C3 Cree. Well regarded around here. Protected 14500 will not fit but since you are giving it to a muggle it does not matter. Review here.

Here is a comparison review between a bunch of AA lights including the ones you are interested in.

I would stay away from funny batteries (CR123A, 18650 etc.) for a first flashlight to a non-flashaholic.

cac313

Newly Enlightened

I would stay away from funny batteries (CR123A, 18650 etc.) for a first flashlight to a non-flashaholic.

Yeah, this is just a "fishhook" gift, we'll see if it takes.

Thanks to everyone so far on the good advice and suggestions

Craig

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Welcome aboard!

I've compared a number of the DX single-stage lights here. Of the lot, the Ultrafire C3 and MTE SSC are indeed your best choices.

If you can swing it, the multi-level lights are more versatile: here's my multi-stage AA comparison review

Unfortunately the Jetbeam C-LE is no longer available, but the Lumapower 301 is a very nice quality light. For the DX lights, the MTE lights are probably the best.

I haven't published my results with the Rebel MTE lights, but I can say so far that the R0100 is definitely not brighter than my P4 Cree version of the light (just slightly less output, with pretty much exactly the same runtime).

Good luck!

cac313

Newly Enlightened

Welcome aboard!

I've compared a number of the DX single-stage lights here. Of the lot, the Ultrafire C3 and MTE SSC are indeed your best choices.

One question on that review, could you explain a little bit the difference between Output vs Throw/Lux? I am guessing that Output is TOTAL light output and Throw is more about the intensity of the beam center (not taking any spill into account).

I take it to mean that the MTE has a bit more overall light (more flood) and the C3 has a tighter spot. Am I close?

BTW, I have really appreciated the time and effort you have put into your reviews, I for one am very thankful. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

xiaowenzu

Banned

Then, may I introduce you to the Mag Lite LED 2AA flashlight. For around $20 on Amazon, the price is unbeatable at this level, especially considering the quality Maglites, which is made in USA unlike dealextreme lights which are subpar quality. :poof: It has adjustable focus, available in many different colors, and a switch that is almost indestructable, IMO. I've given many of them as bday gifts for my friends and they all seem to love the solid construction and sleek look of the lights. You can't go wrong with a Maglite. :)
MAG06ledmag.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q7FTF8/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Greetings all,

Here's my first post so be gentle!

ANYWAY, my best friend's b-day is coming up and I wanted to get him something that would get him hooked...er that he would LIKE but wouldn't be too expensive if he didn't care for it. I've looked at the other Fenix models but just can't come to spend that much for something that he might not care for.

My parameters are;
1. Under $30
2. AA battery (1X or 2X)
3. Reasonable throw/output
4. Reasonable quality
5. Decent run time (I don't see him using rechargables yet)

If it could be something with some "WOW" factor (I haven't shown him my L0D-CE yet ;)) that would be even better. Multi-mode is not a necessity.

Craig

Last edited:

tnuckels

Enlightened

Unfortunately the Jetbeam C-LE is no longer available

Strange … I just bought a JetBeam C-LE at Emilion's Workbench http://emilionworkshop.com/oscommerce/catalog/index.php a few days ago, but now they are no longer listed. It took a bit of searching even to find this light, but it was well worth it, as even w/out the CPF discount it was only $31 delivered from Hong Kong. I really like this light a lot - small, well built, plenty bright, and I especially like the way it latches to the last function used after a few seconds so you don't always have to toggle through all modes to get to your favorite setting - clever.

There's also these two sites:
http://www.jetbeam.com/newlyrelease.html and http://www.jetbeam.com.cn/en/
The first one is about 1/2 dead, but the second one might serve.

So, what's up with JetBeam? I was sorta' interested in their AAA light.:thinking:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

One question on that review, could you explain a little bit the difference between Output vs Throw/Lux? I am guessing that Output is TOTAL light output and Throw is more about the intensity of the beam center (not taking any spill into account). I take it to mean that the MTE has a bit more overall light (more flood) and the C3 has a tighter spot. Am I close?

That's pretty close :thumbsup:. "Output" is overall output as measured by my milk carton "lightbox", although it doesn't tell you how "floody" or "throwy" the light is - the beamshots help with that. Throw is the peak lux measurement of the center beam at a distance of 1m. Again, that doesn't tell you how tight the center beam is, but gives you the maximum at the actual center.

FYI, I use the same terms and testing method as Doug (CPF: Quickbeam) did on flashlightreviews.com. An outstanding site you should check out if you haven't yet.

BTW, I have really appreciated the time and effort you have put into your reviews, I for one am very thankful. :thumbsup:
:)

P.S.: I'm not a fan of the 2AA MagLED personally, since it drops off to zero output with basically no warning. :thumbsdow The 3AA MagLED doesn't share this failing.

dracodoc

Newly Enlightened

I would recommend Sanyo Eneloop, which will not self discharge, less burden to keep the battery in good condition.
Ritz camera have them 4 AA for $12. You can use any good charger to charge them.

Also, if you have change left over, consider getting him a set of Lithium primaries, or NiMH and charger. Even at brick and mortar prices you should be able to keep it under $5-10.

cac313

Newly Enlightened

I ordered both the MTE Single Mode and the C3. Once they get here I'll check to make sure which one is better and give him that. I also ordered the AAA Seoul light for my wife, she was very jealous of the L0D-CE.

Thanks for all the input.:twothumbs

mdocod

Flashaholic

LM301, batteryjunction.com, cpf discount, fast cheap shipping rates. well built, no frills design, Quality is what you expect to be giving when you give a gift. It's not the brightest 1AA, but it represents about the best beam, and best balance of runtime vs brightness and user friendliness available in a 1xAA light. Keep in mind, that I am partial, I've ordered 8 all together, 1 for myself, and 7 gifts.

Problem with ordering a DX, is that shipping times tend to be long, so I don't know how much time you have planned ahead here, but in my experience, ordering from that side of the lake can takes several weeks or more, so if there is something wrong, shipping time alone could drag out a solution to 2 months or more.

Cnote

Newly Enlightened

MTE 1xAA SSC-P4 42180-U Flashlight $14.50I have purchased three of these and they seem to be pretty good lights, not sure that I would rate them anywhere's near a Fenix/Jetbeam but pretty good.

cac313

Newly Enlightened

The C3 came this weekend, the MTE is still processing :sigh:.

I'm pretty impressed with amount of light from such a small package. I dropped an Eneloop in and went out to the street, I lit up the street signs at both ends of the road (8-10 houses down either way). I was concerned about the quality but the threads were all smooth and lubricated. The clicky seems to me to be smooth and consistent. It's a cheapie but for the price it feels like a really good deal.

The nylon holster is a bonus. NOW I WANT ONE! Ah I'll just wait till the MTE shows up, surely THAT will cure my need for another flashlight....:crackup:

Thanks for all the input! I'll be picking up some Lithiums for it before I give it to my friend.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Be sure to post reviews on both lights, and also follow up reviews a few months from now as this will show quality problems. BTW, a review can be as small or as big as you want, like just pros and cons. As for myself I am hoping to find a good DX light with consistent decent quality.