Tiablo A8 & Malkoff Mag D Drop-in???

5.0Trunk

Enlightened
Does anyone have both of theses lights? I have a Malkoff Mag D drop-in (2D-3C configuration) and I love this light so much. But just like everyone else here, Im looking for my next light. I have been reading alot about the Tiablo A8 and I was wondering if someone had both, does the Tiablo throw as far as the Malkoff Drop-in or is it the other way around. Thanks for any input...

martonic

Enlightened
Hi!

I have Tiablo A9 (Cree Q5 bin) and Malkoff 3C (not a drop-in).

At its tightest focus, the Malkoff has about the same size and strength hotspot as the Tiablo, but with softer edges.

On a ceiling bounce test, both lights come off as about equally bright.

The main difference is in the spill area - the Tiablo's spill is brighter, and the Malkoff's spill (even on tight focus) is much larger. The bright spill beam can seem to give the Tiablo more throw when illuminating a large area of interest.

The Malkoff is larger and heavier than the Tiablo, and has a runtime advantage due to the high battery capacity.

Last edited:

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
can we get a link to tiablo a8?
does it use 8aas?
otherwise what is the battery advantage you referred to?

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
tiablo uses cr123 i think ...and i coulda sworn i saw not to long ago a thread with great beamshots with tiablo ,malkoff dmini maybe and some other lights ...it showed a blue house i think and dark yard trail if i remember

update..it was this second post several pics down , though its no malkoff but a 3dmag driven @1amp

Last edited:

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/173078 contains beamshots with my fourth version of 3D Mäg with SSC P4 against Tiablo A8 & A9. One 3D Mäg with SSC P4 USOXH emitter and a five mode driver with max at 1000 mA. UCL lens. 19 000 Lux in throw at one metre with NiMH cells. Handpicked emitter with max output for the bin and lowest possible vf. It's up against a variety of lights and it's doing very well. But it cannot compete with Tiablo A8 or A9 with Cree Q5. I'm just guessing, but I think that my Mäg can't reasonably be any brighter without burning the emitter, it's as bright as it can get with one SSC P4 emitter.
Stefan

Last edited:

daveman

Enlightened
Tiablo A9 out throws Malkoff Mags, for now, only because of one reason: emtter. The SSC P4 is inferior in output (some might argue in durability/endurance as well) to Cree's XR-E Q5. When Lumilled comes out with a Rebel, or Lux III, that's on par with XR-Es, Gene will surely have an upgrade that will be on par with anything else on the market.

Also, the beauty of Gene Malkoff's Mag drop-ins is that they run at full spec on regular alkaline batteries, something, as far as I know, no other light on the market can do. Plus you get that drop-dead gorgeous look of a stock mag to go with that raw power...

JamisonM

Enlightened
Tiablo A9 out throws Malkoff Mags, for now, only because of one reason: emtter. The SSC P4 is inferior in output (some might argue in durability/endurance as well) to Cree's XR-E Q5. When Lumilled comes out with a Rebel, or Lux III, that's on par with XR-Es, Gene will surely have an upgrade that will be on par with anything else on the market.
I don't think it's because of the emitter all by itself. The reflector in the taiblo is deeper then the stock maglite reflector. The cree emitter is also being driven at 1400mA on high. The ssc emitter on Gene's maglite drop-in installed in a 4D maglite is only driven at 1100mA. Seems to me that the taiblo is brighter and has been made for throw. The deep reflector captures more light and sends it out in a more concentrated beam.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think it's because of the emitter all by itself. The reflector in the taiblo is deeper then the stock maglite reflector. The cree emitter is also being driven at 1400mA on high. The ssc emitter on Gene's maglite drop-in installed in a 4D maglite is only driven at 1100mA. Seems to me that the taiblo is brighter and has been made for throw. The deep reflector captures more light and sends it out in a more concentrated beam.

How do you know the Tiablo emitter is being driven at 1.4A? I thought it was 1A