Surefire quality control question

mfrey

Enlightened
I just received some new Surefire components (LU60A and M2 bezel) from a reputable dealer that exhibit the following: rough internal threads (tears a swab to shreds) and/or slightly chipped hard anodizing on the sharp edges. The dealer packed them well for transit and assures me that they were sent to me just as he received them from SF.

Neither will affect function, but I hate spending a premium for Surefire and getting parts that do not meet my expectations of quality.

I'm debating on sending them back to Surefire for exchange. I already have a return authorization number, but am hesitant to return them. I don't want to be unrealistic in my expectations if this represents normal QC practices for Surefire.

What are your experiences?

p.s. how long does SF usually take for exchanges of this nature?

KentuckyMike

Enlightened
My last E2E came with missing annodizing (a few small spots on the knurling of the tailcap, a spot on the head, and two spots on the body) and very rough threads. The package was sealed when I bought it (from the authorized dealer), and I know I didn't damage the light when I cut the carton open.

When I called SF about the finish, they indicated, "That can happen during transit. It's normally considered normal package wear." She offered to replace it, but said it could take as much as 4-6 weeks from the time they got my E2E back. I was tempted, because clear plastic doesn't scrape HA off Al, but I kept it since the light was destined to become a user anyway, and I didn't want to be without it that long after spending so much. Plus, I didn't have to worry about getting the first scratch on it!!

When you replace a whole light, replacements tend to be pretty quick (4-6 weeks quoted, actual replacement more like 1-3 weeks many times) when the lights are in stock. When it comes to components, it could be months if they are backordered (common with Z57's, for example), but if they're in stock you'll see them very quickly (within a week or two in most cases). You could always try to pin down the turnaround when you speak to the SF rep, and many times they can tell you if the parts/lights are in stock and give you a fairly good estimate (just remember you will often get your new light/parts faster than quoted). I take it you've asked the dealer about an exchange on his end, and he directed you to SF for warranty service?

Good luck!!

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
All my Surefires, seven in total, are flawless! Even the L5 display model I picked up a few hours ago. :twothumbs

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
if are looking for flashlight jewery. you might look else where.
Correct me if I'm wrong, Surefire are made to function first. being cosmetically perfect is lower in the list.

internal threads will smooth out after a use. don't think that's defective, unless it causes light not to function.

have gotten super fine wire edges loads of time on Surefire and other detailed CNC parts. anodization is thinest on sharp edges, again it's not unusual to get new HA parts with bare specks on edges.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC out of the 20 or so Surefires I've bought new or LNIB in the last five years, only my early A2 had any anodizing missing, it was a small spot about 1mmx2mm on the hex at the bottom of the bezel. It bothered me for a few minutes, but the light worked flawlessly otherwise. 3 or 4 years later it has a few more "beauty marks" from use, and I don't think about that initial spot anymore. Flashlights are tools that are meant to be used.

Patriot

Flashaholic
When I called SF about the finish, they indicated, "That can happen during transit. It's normally considered normal package wear." She offered to replace it, but said it could take as much as 4-6 weeks from the time they got my E2E back. I was tempted, because clear plastic doesn't scrape HA off quote]

Exactly. It seems that many of the knurled SF that I've purchased over the past 2-3 years has had chipped, missing or scratched HA. It's really annoying when a company representative says something ridiculous like "normal package wear." The lights are getting scratched during assembly, not shipping. Almost every L2 that I've ever seen also has assembly scratches on the tube near the head, probably because of the jig they use during one of the steps. I wish that they'd just recognize that there are some QC issues, but I don't think that they have to because of their size and name. I really like their lights though I haven't purchased one for about a year now. It would be neat if they'd take quality and performance up to the next level. If I could purchase a SF light with the same level of performance, machining, fit, finish, feel, consistency of the Lumapower MRV that I just purchased, I'd be their customer again in a heartbeat.

Cy if are looking for flashlight jewery. you might look else where.
Correct me if I'm wrong, Surefire are made to function first. being cosmetically perfect is lower in the list.

I remember years ago when I purchased them as jewlery :) Back then there wasn't much else in high quality production lights. I still like SF a bunch and I miss how they used to be #1 in quality, perfomance, and inovation. I realize that many will argue as to whether or not the quality has gone down, but I feel that it has some.

monacrom All my Surefires, seven in total, are flawless! Even the L5 display model I picked up a few hours a go. :twothumbs

I'm jealous of you. :) I don't know... I think that maybe I was having a run of bad 'juju' with SF maybe. I've had my eye on the x200b, but I'm afraid I'd want it modded right away.

Last edited:

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I have seen and heard, Surefire does not appear pay too much attention to a perfect outside appearance of their lights. Which is perfectly fine with me; Surefire lights are tools, not jewels, and intended to be abusively used. They get nicked very fast when I use them anyway, so I don't care.

I'm a little surprised about the thread problems, though. All my experiences with Surefire threads have been nothing but perfect. That's an area where they DO pay attention, IMO. Do you trust the dealer?

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M2 bezel has a hard anodized finish, which will tend to grab bits of cotton and fuzz on threaded areas. Normal for an HA finish on such an area.

If you posted pictures it would be helpful. Your idea of "imperfect" may be someone else's idea of "whoa, mine doesn't look that good!"

I notice a lot of posts on this site are people complaining about specks of dust and small imperfections in their Surefires, but never hear that about other lights. Surefires by FAR arrive to me in better condition than any other lights I've purchased.

h2xblive

Enlightened
The L1 I bought about a year ago was flawless in its finish and quality. I couldn't find, and still can't find a single flaw with the light in regards to physical blemishes.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had 8 metal Surefires. I think the coatings were good on all of them. I would be more picky about a Titan than a 6p for example, but I understand wanting things to be perfect on a light right out of the box.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
they are tools. get over it. its not a QC issue if they still function flawlessly. if you want perfect aesthetics dont ever buy a surefire, or a mcgizmo for that matter, because they are far to focused on building hardcore tools to worry about wether you have a good looking light for your nightstand.

mfrey

Enlightened
they are tools. get over it. its not a QC issue if they still function flawlessly. if you want perfect aesthetics dont ever buy a surefire, or a mcgizmo for that matter, because they are far to focused on building hardcore tools to worry about wether you have a good looking light for your nightstand.

Certainly performance and reliability are the primary concerns, but a good presentation does not come to the detriment of those qualities. If it did, then by all means I would choose performance and reliability over finish aesthetics or attention to machining detail. For the price of a Surefire, I think it fairly reasonable to not only expect that the light perform reliably but that when I open the package of my new torch, it looks, in fact, new rather than like it's been bouncing around in someone's pocket for the past six months.

If Surefire made and marketed only a military/LE line, then a performance-only, looks-be-damned approach would be very acceptable. However, SF markets to a refined civilian consumer, as well, via their "executive" line among others. This market demands attention to aesthetics, IMHO.

Not everyone who buys a SF is going to breach a door with it or use it to finish constructing his deck when he can't find his framing hammer.

I intend to use it, not put it on a silk pillow, but I tire of the disregard that top-tier manufacturers, who charge a premium under the banner of utmost American quality, have for the details. I have this same contention with Colt Firearms (at least their AR line).

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine came almost perfect, only a tiny spot on the bezel on a sharp edge. 2 days after, 2 sharp edges were scratched and I didn't hit the light anywhere... I think this is just normal.