best NiMH aaa's

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi there,

i would like to make the move to rechargeables and would like to start off with NiMH AAA batteries.

i would be using them in the MillerMods Arc aaa and the Fenix LOD-CE.

i've read around quite a bit and it seems like sanyos were highly recommended as were eneloops.
i would be charging these batteries every few days so long storage of the eneloops are not needed.

i came across this link, are these the best i could buy:

http://www.nimhbattery.com/sanyo-1000-aaa-rechargeable-batteries-both-labels.php

also if someone can point me in the right direction for a charger.

thank you.

johnny13oi

Enlightened
I would recommend the eneloops as well or the RayoVac Hybrids. I have a bunch of the Hybrids and they perform great and are about the same price if not cheaper than non LSD competitors.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm told that the "Maha" chargers are very good, as are "Ansmann" products.

As an aside, I have been very happy with the performance of the Eneloop AA's (not AAA's) in my digicam, they seem to be high quality cells.

CFU

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the recommendations, that site seems to have eneloops as well.

are the sanyo eneloops better than the sanyos.
the sanyo eneloops are 800mAh vs. sanyo 1000mAh.

i don't really need the low discharge since i would like to buy 2 batteries and rotate them every 3-4 days.

are there any precautions i need to be aware of?
am i correct to assume to not let the flashlight drain the battery out, in other words, i would need to change out the battery when i see the light getting low?

Anders

Enlightened
Hello THE_dAY.

Thats correct, in applications with two or more cells its important to not drain the cells.

If you are going to rotate them every 3-4 days maybe you don't need more than 800 mAh, if you drain more than 800 mAh in this time it goes without saying.

High energy cells in AA size (2500+) suffer of high selfdischarge, AAA size cells is not so common as AA cells so it is not so many reports of this in AAA size cells.

MAHA Powerex AA cells 2700 is an exception of not having high selfdischarge, maybe its little brother is good too?

I personally think eneloop last more years than regular cells, the future will tell us.

Anders

Last edited:

Bones

Enlightened
There has been some speculation that the 'superlattice alloy technology' used in the new Sanyo high capacity cells make them both sturdier and less prone to rapid self-discharge.

Whichever way you decide to go, Battery Bob is probably your most economical source.

His price includes free shipping in the USA and a 10% discount for forum members.

http://www.batterybob.com...552532

http://www.batterybob.com...559040

I believe the discount code is 'sheep'.

Shine on...

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks guys!

Bones, i will check out Bob's site, i am hoping to buy charger and batteries from same place.

Anders, i would like to use the batteries in a single AAA flashlight so i won't be using 2 or more at a time.
i don't know much about rechargeable batteries so i apologize for the silly question, but why would i not need more that 800mAh from a battery if i change it out every 3-4 days?
i just assume the sanyo 1000mAh would give longer runtime than a 800mAh, or is there something else i'm missing here?

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
I would normally recommend the Eneloops as well, but in your case the higher capacity of the Sanyo 1000s is more of a benefit than the LSD of the Eneloops. Man, I wish I had my MM Arc AAA. I bought Eneloops and a charger for it almost a year ago! Enjoy it for the rest of us as well.

TPA

Enlightened
thanks guys!

Bones, i will check out Bob's site, i am hoping to buy charger and batteries from same place.

Anders, i would like to use the batteries in a single AAA flashlight so i won't be using 2 or more at a time.
i don't know much about rechargeable batteries so i apologize for the silly question, but why would i not need more that 800mAh from a battery if i change it out every 3-4 days?
i just assume the sanyo 1000mAh would give longer runtime than a 800mAh, or is there something else i'm missing here?

I just bought my Enerloops & Maha chargers from Thomas Distributing:
http://www.thomas-distributing.com

Shipped quickly, and everything arrived without a scratch.

Gaffle

Enlightened
I would recommend the eneloops as well or the RayoVac Hybrids. I have a bunch of the Hybrids and they perform great and are about the same price if not cheaper than non LSD competitors.

Those Hybrids are LSD batteries? I read the packaging which stated that they were already charged and ready to go. The only other brand I have heard of that has a charge when purchased is the Sanyo Eneloop.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Those Hybrids are LSD batteries? I read the packaging which stated that they were already charged and ready to go. The only other brand I have heard of that has a charge when purchased is the Sanyo Eneloop.

All the LSD batteries come "pre-charged", and often referred to as hybrid technology. There are 4 types that I can think of:
Uniross Hybrio
Eneloop
Rayovac Hybrid
Kodak Pre-Charged

Anders

Enlightened
Hello THE_dAY.

What I ment is, if you don't use it up right away (1000 mAh) maybe there is no need of the higher mAh but you can of course look at it the other way round, with the 1000 mAh cells there is not so high selfdisharge in a couple of days only.

Yes, you get longer runtimes with more mAh.

Anders

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been happy with Duracell 1000mAh AAA in my MillerMod, but I plan on switching to Eneloops once the Duracells die.

robk

Enlightened
I have had excellent results with "Titanium" brand from Amondotech. After trying several brands, these seem to actually put out what the labels say (2700mAh AA, 1000mAh AAA). I tried Eneloops and Hybrids, but capacity is more important to me than low self discharge. Buy a good charger (Maha) and keep the cells rotating and topped off.

LightForce

Newly Enlightened
Ok guys...
But which AAA Ni-MH cells will be the best for the high power green laser? Capacity ant self discharge rate aren't important. The most important thing to me is high current (500-700 mA) performance. Which AAA's has the lowest internal resistance and the keep the highest voltage during discharging?

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
The AAA cells that hold voltage best under high load are the KAN700AAA available from cheapbatterypacks.com. They are the ones for you. Even though they are only rated at 700mAh, they will deliver it even at high loads. Other cells can't hold their voltage under high loads and may only deliver half of their rated capacity.