Broke Cree

wylie125

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I have a cheap Cree C2 from dealextreme and it rolled off the kitchen counter and hit the tile floor and now it doesn't work. I turned it on and it flickered once and now nothing, any ideas? Thanks

Last edited:

WTH

Newly Enlightened
Is it physically damaged? If not, return it for a new one?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Which one was it? Mine still works like new and it has taken some hard impacts.

Is anything loose in the light? Did it work well when you got it? How about the batteries?

Wassernaut

Newly Enlightened
How long have you had it? Has it ever acted odd before? I have several and have found mine to be rock solid, even after some rough use and hard drops.

But that's one thing about the DX lights, if the worst happens you can just buy another. If it was my fault (allowing it to take a fall) I wouldn't even consider returning it for a refund. - Larry

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
A fall from a kitchen worktop is considered to be regular use in my opinion. Do dealextreme have a warranty of any description? If they advertise anything regarding the 'shock resistance' of an LED, they should honour a warranty in this circumstance.

wylie125

Newly Enlightened
After tinkering with it and not being able to get it to work Im just going to mod it and see what happens. I ordered an x-re q5 and a new driver from DX.

wylie125

Newly Enlightened
Which one was it? Mine still works like new and it has taken some hard impacts.

Is anything loose in the light? Did it work well when you got it? How about the batteries?
Couldnt find anything loose after inspection and has worked very well the couple of months I've had it. Put a freshly charged 18650 and still notta. This will give me some motivation to mod this thing. Im putting a 5 mode board with an Xr-e emitter and just going to run 18650's.

strideredc

Enlightened
this is what happend to mine! i turned out to be the switch. take it apart, clean and tweek the contacts and i bet that will fix it. you could also check it with a multimeter?

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had several of these type of lights and had switches and circuits fail. Just too many to be considered the norm. I'm done buying these chepo lights. You get what you pay for. Not trying to bash here, some of the lights are decent.

I added up the amount I have spent on chepo lights and would have enough to get an L1! :shrug: I have learned my lesson.

wylie125

Newly Enlightened
I have had several of these type of lights and had switches and circuits fail. Just too many to be considered the norm. I'm done buying these chepo lights. You get what you pay for. Not trying to bash here, some of the lights are decent.

I added up the amount I have spent on chepo lights and would have enough to get an L1! :shrug: I have learned my lesson.
I understand what your saying, you do get what you pay for. This was my first Cree after having several older Luxeon's lights and just wanted to see how the Cree performed and didnt want to **** my wife off spending alot on a one, she already thinks I'm crazy having a "thing" for flashlights!!!

Would anyone know a forward clickie that would go inside the C2 fairly easy and also what mm it needs to be?

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Something like this happened to me once.

If you haven't already done so, I'd open it up and check the battery, and try a new one. It could be the fall dented the button contact on the battery(ies).

PS: If a western had the title, I'd watch it. The Tale of the Broken Cree.

yekim

Enlightened
Seen this happen with both my C3's. Little drop and no worky. IT was the driver board both times. Good excuse to break out the iron and stuff something fun in there. The original boards only merit was being virtually the same brightness on a aa as a 14500.

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is normal with most of the cheap lights, a large number of them just quits after some sets of batts. They dont even need to fall down.

Crappy machining and crappy workmanship + crappy materials (think of the beams from those reflectors, ...) means crappy product, what else.

Dont blame the poor Cree for that
(imho still the best led)