New Spybot Search & Destroy (v1.5)

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spybot is an excellent freeware, I think everyone who has Windows (and uses Internet Explorer) should have this installed. I've never had problems with spyware/adware since using Spybot.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use it and Spyware Blaster. It supposedly sets up blocks that keep several thousand known attacks from latching onto the system so Spybot does not have to work as hard to remove things.

They also have a beta version for WIndows Mobile hand helds (aka Pocket PC's)

TOOCOOL

Enlightened
I use it and Spyware Blaster. It supposedly sets up blocks that keep several thousand known attacks from latching onto the system so Spybot does not have to work as hard to remove things.

They also have a beta version for WIndows Mobile hand helds (aka Pocket PC's)

Spy Blaster rocks, its a must have :)

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know what is going on... But installing 1.5 Spybot has really slowed my FireFox 2.x down--by a lot... Takes like 7+ seconds to switch tabs.

I have re-installed Spybot 1.4 back on my computer and I still have the problem.

I saw that one other person also reported slow tab switching in FireFox too (I also got a script timeout on v1.5 too when switching tabs).

If anyone has some ideas for help--please let me know. Off to browsing the Spybot support forums.

-Bill

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also appears to have messed up posting in CPF too (long delay and timeouts)...

Ugh.
-Bill

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
HELP!

Anybody have any good solutions for recovering a bad registry (I think it got corrupted when I tried getting v1.5 back to try removing the FireFox protections--suggested in one post--but the install failed and probably hit my registry)...

I can re-install, but I am not looking forward to doing this (probably should--my windows install is a few years old an I am sure that the registry needed cleaning up).

Thanks,
-Bill

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, loaded an new OS for XP.2 and got everything going OK now... Still have to install all of the other software--but that is not too much.

I am pretty sure that I had a pretty messy registry--and the new version v1.5 sure made my Firefox slow down by quite a bit. The new install seemed to fix most of that--but I have found an "extension" called "Cookie Safe v2.0.6" was also (or in addition) causing my browser to slow down and hog memory during tab switches.

Debating on whether to install Spybot S&D--I have used it for many years but my PC sure is faster and uses less memory without it (and its add-ons) running.

-Bill

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I hate software conflicts!

BTW, my tab switching speed is still fine from 1.4 to 1.5 using FF 2.0.0.7 on 4 different systems.

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe, CCleaner or registry mechanic can help

HELP!

Anybody have any good solutions for recovering a bad registry (I think it got corrupted when I tried getting v1.5 back to try removing the FireFox protections--suggested in one post--but the install failed and probably hit my registry)...

I can re-install, but I am not looking forward to doing this (probably should--my windows install is a few years old an I am sure that the registry needed cleaning up).

Thanks,
-Bill

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe, CCleaner or registry mechanic can help

I'm still standing behind Registry Mechanic, myself. My last copy was bought at Fry's for $25 -$25 rebate (free after rebate). I paid the full online price the first time, and it was worth every penny, as it took my dad's system, from, literally, nearly being almost useless to working like new. Close to useless, because, most of the time, anything I clicked on wouldn't run. It was like the program would start to run, as the hour glass would pop up for a few moments, but then nothing. I could *sometimes* get it run something, after rebooting several times, but the reboot was very slow and painful. After running Registry Mechanic on it, the machine actually ran like new--not a single problem and really fast.

My current Spyware program is AVG (free) Anti-spyware.

Sigman, what's that part about our "CPF update notifier." I've never heard of anything like that.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's ok, but not great.
I will still use it regularly anyways from now on.
Some of the issues are not just spyware.
There is plenty of malware that needs to be kicked out of registries and hidden areas too in order to have a clean and healthy running compyooter. :banned:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
...Sigman, what's that part about our "CPF update notifier." I've never heard of anything like that.
What? :ohgeez: You didn't subscribe to the "CPF Wares Update Notifier"? :crackup:

Here & there in the past various members have posted when updates were available for various wares like Firefox, & other assorted handy utilities we all use. If your wares aren't set for automatic update checks - sometimes we only find out through others. This was the case with my Spybot. My Firefox & add-ons auto check themselves.

I was only kidding...however for a small fee, I can be your "Wares Update Notifer"?! :paypal: :crackup:

meuge

Enlightened
I think you meant "Warez" :D

Spybot is great. Still the most save my butt software to date is Norton Ghost.

Ghost bricked my operating system and master boot record on two separate occasions with two different computerse before I realized it for the piece of junk it is.

Spybot, on the other hand, is a nice piece of software. Of course, nowadays my preferred method for dealing with spyware is to install Ubuntu Linux.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you Alex and TrashMan,

I have already reloaded my OS from a Microsoft release disk (instead of the OEM one that came with the computer).

I will try loading Spybot again once the new version has been out for awhile. Spybot does not offer much for FireFox protection--so as long as I avoid I.E.--and the protection offered seems to roughly mirror that of Spyware Blaster (website/cookie black listing), I should be OK

I know my PC was not in the best of shape (registry/software wise) as I had other problems (CD/DVD drive not always seeing a disk, FireFox acting up with slow typing after awhile of use, some other software conflicts, changes from Norton to McAffee AV, etc.).

The system was operating well enough I could manually copy off my files to a USB drive for backup. It had been a few years since I had loaded the OS so it was about time to clean it up anyway.

-Bill

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Ghost bricked my operating system and master boot record on two separate occasions with two different computerse before I realized it for the piece of junk it is.

Spybot, on the other hand, is a nice piece of software. Of course, nowadays my preferred method for dealing with spyware is to install Ubuntu Linux.

:( Invasion of the Penguins :( :party:

To each his own. I have used Ghost boot CD for many years....at least 80-100 times on multiple OS's and HD's. Never had a single problem. I'm not recommending any other Norton product, nor installing it. Just the bootable CD version. Most people who have problem with Norton have installed their crapware Norton Suite, including newer versions of Ghost.

Linux has its benefits and limitations. The last 4 servers I had running on various Linux platforms (2 by major server hosting companies with regular security updates) were all hit and paralyzed by hacker/cracker programs...so there's nothing magical about Linux that is gonna protect anyone if it is targeted.

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys I visit www.wilderssecurity.com and with their recommendations, I tried this program as I have never heard of it before.

http://www.superantispyware.com/

It works very well. Cleaned up the malware (much) and internet hijacker on my girlfriend's pc in which Webroot's Spysweeper and Norton NIS could not do. The free version does not offer real time protection but will scan and remove malware.

meuge

Enlightened
Linux has its benefits and limitations. The last 4 servers I had running on various Linux platforms (2 by major server hosting companies with regular security updates) were all hit and paralyzed by hacker/cracker programs...so there's nothing magical about Linux that is gonna protect anyone if it is targeted.

Of course not. Linux has vulnerabilities just like any piece of software. Simply by the virtue of its complexity, it cannot be invincible. Furthermore, when you talk about running servers, you are deliberately exposing multiple ports and applications. Which is why good sys-admins get paid so much money to secure the servers.

However, when we talk about a desktop, which isn't inherently vulnerable by being a server, securing it against AUTOMATED, NON-SPECIFIC attacks becomes the most important factor. I am not saying that a professional hacker can't crack a default Linux install. Actually, I bet it would take him a few minutes. But all you need is to avoid getting infected by running downloaded programs (which doesn't happen in Linux if you get your software from repositories), or by scanning bots (which doesn't happen in Linux because vulnerabilities are auto-patched, and a file requires user input to be market as an executable).

Of course, at the higher level (where I haven't tried to go yet), there are SELinux-secured systems, where priviledges of every file are specifically controlled, and where even a prolonged and deliberate targeted attack by hackers may be foiled.

In the end, as SELinux administration becomes more intuitive, it might start being enabled by default.