Fenix diffuser, how good is it?

Phaetos

Enlightened
The diffuser works more akin to converting your Fenix into a lantern, a very bright lantern. On Turbo and hung upside down, it will light a room easily. It's not meant to turn a spot into a flood. And yes, the jokes are very easy to come by :D

robo21

Enlightened
I don't believe the Fenix diffuser will produce a "beam" of any kind. Like Phaetos said, it is more akin to a diffused lantern effect.

If you are looking for a nice "flood beam" contact CPF member Fastcar. He has a very inexpensive diffuser that will accomplish that.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like the others have said, it is has a lantern effect. I have found mine very useful when there is no white ceiling to bounce light off of like in my work room or outdoors.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed, like a very bright lantern. As for how it lights up the area/room, it is very even. A little more concentrated off the pointed direction. I think it works great and is well worth the five bucks. Great for camping...

kurni

Enlightened
Note that you'll lose a fair bit of brightness tho... I use ceiling bounce whenever possible, but the diffuser is second to none as an outdoor lantern. I heard that Fastcar diffuser material was good to produce a white, even flood beam. The diffusing material from an old LCD also produces a white, even flood beam.

gunga

Flashaholic
Can anyone verify that the red lense can be removed from the red filter?

I would like to just use the red filter frame and some Fastcar diffuser material (10 layer stuff) to make a smooth flood lamp...

kurni

Enlightened
Can anyone verify that the red lense can be removed from the red filter?

I would like to just use the red filter frame and some Fastcar diffuser material (10 layer stuff) to make a smooth flood lamp...

:eek:oo: so that's what the red stuff is for... I bought it just for the sake of collecting it and I got confused what I should use it for. It snapped off OK, the red lense is quite thick tho (probably 1 mm)... my diffusing film is paper like and it can't stay on the frame. I'm guessing putting the lense on and off would eventually wear off the frame; there are 3 tabs doing the job.

gunga

Flashaholic
Serious? Are you kidding?

:grin2:

I probably wouldn't use the red filter. I would just put in the diffuser film and slide the whole frame on and off as needed. It's like the rubber anti-roll bezel/lense holder for the minimag (I love that one!).

If you say it's possible,maybe I'll pick one up. I do however, have a few bottle caps that fit the Fenix, maybe I will just use those for now.

BST07

Newly Enlightened
Just received my diffuser for my L2D flashlight. Definitely a good add-on if you use the light up close; very useful for reading a map in the car etc...

One thing I don't like is how the whole thing is clear plastic. When you are holding the light in your hand in the dark with the diffuser on, it catches too much of the light coming from the emitter and can ruin your night vision.

I can see why the Surefire diffuser is covered with black plastic to cover up the spill.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just received my diffuser for my L2D flashlight. Definitely a good add-on if you use the light up close; very useful for reading a map in the car etc...

One thing I don't like is how the whole thing is clear plastic. When you are holding the light in your hand in the dark with the diffuser on, it catches too much of the light coming from the emitter and can ruin your night vision.

I can see why the Surefire diffuser is covered with black plastic to cover up the spill.

That diffuser is a different one from the one they're talking about in this 2 year old thread. The old translucent diffuser tip gives the lantern effect (as well as some incredulous stares form people). The new Fenix Diffuser lens cover is a different product.
I have one, and while I'm still unsure about long term durability, it seems okay for the price. Note though that it does not completely diffuse the beam as well as a surefire beamshaper/ duffuser. It gives a square shaped region full of minor artifacts on a whitewall. But does it's job pretty well for ~$5.

BST07

Newly Enlightened
That diffuser is a different one from the one they're talking about in this 2 year old thread. The old translucent diffuser tip gives the lantern effect (as well as some incredulous stares form people). The new Fenix Diffuser lens cover is a different product.
I have one, and while I'm still unsure about long term durability, it seems okay for the price. Note though that it does not completely diffuse the beam as well as a surefire beamshaper/ duffuser. It gives a square shaped region full of minor artifacts on a whitewall. But does it's job pretty well for ~$5.

I just realized this soon after your post:oops:. I have to agree with you that the beam is definetly full of artifacts. Does the job well enough for around the house though.