Maglite 2AA Questions

cdesigns

Newly Enlightened
Is the 2 AA Maglite 3watts flashlight a cree?

I'm not impressed on the light output at all, my cheap $5 6 led flashlight is brighter.

On the pictures looks very bright but it really isn't.

1001981wq6.jpg

1001975gt0.jpg

1001983ps6.jpg

Last edited:

Bushman5

Enlightened
still pretty bright! try it outdoors or in a blackened hallway...you might ne surprised at how much it lights up. Its a good glovebox light for the vehicle. :)

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Expect Maglite to adopt Crees, Seouls or Rebels in about 5 years. That's how far behind they seem to be. It is only a Luxeon III unfortunately, with not even a whiff of regulation.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have typed all this over and over when the MM-Led came out and some ppl were boosting them heavily:

first of all: they sucked even at that time.
unnecessary long (the 2AA can almost fit 3 cells)
dim
no multilevel
beam not good, focused or defocused
sudden stop when batts are depleted, no "safety dimming"
questionable heatsinking (in fact no good one, but output reduced when getting too hot)
switch action can lead to put the light on in pocket
... and this has been quite some time before now, with the way better Fenix Luxeon models present for some time already.
PS: 2AA-led costs € 50-55, 3AA-led about 65,-- here

of course they still have a very good machining and the best gripping feel of lights in this size

now Fenix and other makers offer the double bright, half heat producing, less current needing Cree or Seoul or Luxeon rebel emitters
PS: that is a Lux III, has already been mentionned

PPS: no way a 6 led can be brighter, not even with the MM.
have both lights be run throug 5 sets of batteries and check again (the bright 6 led will already have some leds near dead or dead)

Last edited:

faco

Enlightened
Have a look at the VICTORINOX AA Flashlight, its plenty bright with a nice warm tint and wide flood/bright spot. Not sure if its a Cree but I'm happy with it and bought more for friends and family.
I'd say the quality and finish is better than the Maglite. Good value IMO, If only Victorinox made it with an adjustable beam.........

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a Luxeon III, which is sometimes referred to as a 3W LED but it's only being driven at a little over 1 watt. If you read the packaging it says, '3W LED' not 3W flashlight - it's a bit deceptive.

cdesigns

Newly Enlightened
It's a Luxeon III, which is sometimes referred to as a 3W LED but it's only being driven at a little over 1 watt. If you read the packaging it says, '3W LED' not 3W flashlight - it's a bit deceptive.

I think is more than deceptive, is going back to wally world.

hello dealextreme :)

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 2AA and the 3AA LED Maglites and I think they are both great lights. I think the AA is plenty bright, and the 3 AA is a bit brighter. To me they also have a pretty nice beam. True, they do not have the latest and greatest LED's in them and the latest technology but I would like to make a few points:

1. They cost $20-$25.00. Do not compare them with lights that are running 45-75.00. They could make some upgrades, but then they would cost a bit more. I would like to see maybe a Mag "premium line" of lights, but maybe they do not want to get into that market.

2. They are a lot better quality than most of these cheap Chinese lights that are out there. I have owned Mags for over 20 years and none of them have ever failed me. All I have done is replaced batteries and bulbs. I have read many posts about folks buying these cheap lights where they order say three of them, and two are bad right out of the box! I am talking about the Mags build quality by the way. Brightest is not always the best.

3. They are an example that we can still make a quality product in this country and sell it at a fair price. Something to think about as we slowly sell out our country to imported products and outsourced manufacturing.

I currently own about 7 Mags and like them all. I also own about 40 or so other types of lights, some American, some Chinese, and most of my recent ones (Huntlight, Dreelight, Surefire,Olight, Inovas, etc) are all great lights, but they are in a different class. I have some of these cheap lights that I got at Walmart, Kmart, etc. and I like them also, but they do not have a proven track record (so far) like the Mags! Just my 2 cents!!:)

Mike

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you are going to go LED and you want quality, fenix is so wrong.

please save up 10k USD and i will tell you LED and quality.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hardly think a $10,000 dollar flashlight is going to represent good value for money, is it?

Fenix products are very good (alas, not excellent) quality products. The only people that disagree are usually not owners. Those rare few that have had problems have been sorted out by David in next to no time.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you are going to go LED and you want quality, fenix is so wrong.

please save up 10k USD and i will tell you LED and quality.

You are kidding right????:D. A $10,000 flashlight??? Is it attached to the Hubble telescope lighting up other planets????:crackup:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Have a look at the VICTORINOX AA Flashlight, its plenty bright with a nice warm tint and wide flood/bright spot. Not sure if its a Cree but I'm happy with it and bought more for friends and family.
I'd say the quality and finish is better than the Maglite. Good value IMO, If only Victorinox made it with an adjustable beam.........

Inova makes the Victorinox flashlights. Good quality, lagging technology. Just not as lagging as MagLite....

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 2AA and the 3AA LED Maglites and I think they are both great lights. I think the AA is plenty bright, and the 3 AA is a bit brighter. To me they also have a pretty nice beam.

Both the 2AA and 3AA MagLEDs are simple, practical, reliable illumination tools. They don't have multiple output levels, strobe, SOS, and a complex user interface - all of which is a big plus so far as I'm concerned. Simplicity and reliability can be beautiful.

1. They cost $20-$25.00. Do not compare them with lights that are running 45-75.00. They could make some upgrades, but then they would cost a bit more.

Besides being reasonably priced, they are available locally at many different stores. They come with a lifetime warranty from an well established manufacturer.

These lights are an incredibly good deal for the average Joe who will never buy a light online.

2. They are a lot better quality than most of these cheap Chinese lights that are out there. I have owned Mags for over 20 years and none of them have ever failed me. All I have done is replaced batteries and bulbs.

I too have owned Mags for over 20 years and the few failures I've had were my own fault, due to leaving Mags stored away without removing the batteries.

Mags may be sort of boring, but they are very reliable.

When you need light, they just work.

Spence

Enlightened
As for MIKEKOZ and his comments...YEAH, I GO FOR WHAT HE SAYS!
Hey MIKE, you and I are sort of paralel, I have over 30 lights and some of each model of MAGLITES. I EDC a SF CREE L1, but both my vehicles have MINI MAG LED's. I've converted almost all of my MAG collection to LED's and think of them as no nonsense, basic, reliable lights. After all, they are AMERICAN MADE and all over the world people have and rely on them.
You are RIGHT ON pal.
:thumbsup: