Best flashlight for hard of seeing:

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know someone who has trouble seeing well, his eyes are seeing more narrow (tunnel like) and his eyes are locked onto like daytime view, so when the darkness comes hes almost blind. He needs some kind of small light that will be able to light his way, what would you suggest. realise battery life and price and throw and spill etc.

Thanks

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, my wife has serious sight problems especially with poor light. During the night she walks around our home just with a Fenix L0D (without switching on any light) and she is totally happy.

Hope this may help. :)

umberto

Newly Enlightened
Techwg.....I assume the person you are talking about has retinitis pigmentosa, which is the most common eye disease giving symptoms you describe; 'tunnel vision' which is sort of like trying to walk around while looking through 2 short cardboard tubes held up to your eyes, and true night blindness, not the difficulty all people have seeing at night but true night blindness where people will literally be bumping into things in dimlighting conditions.

I would think a flashlight that is more of a floodlight would be best for getting around at night within a house. Throw would not be important but side splill would be the priority

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 3 C cell Maglite with a Malkoff C Mag Drop In will give you a solid little light with 240 lumens (emitter) output and lots of spill.
Maybe too big ? Maybe not.

Last edited:

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
My mother-in-law has eye problems that necessitate extra light. The lights I gave her that she likes the most are a Dorcy Super 1 Watt [small single cr123 she carries everywhere], a ProPoly 4AA Lux [larger, but with a lot of light and good runtime], and a FavorLight 1 Watt Headlamp running on two 3.0 v rcr123 [Tenergy brand from BatteryJunction]. She also uses a drugstore 7 led showerhead type when she needs just a little light, like in church. She uses the headlamp a lot for around the house tasks, which is why we eventually went to rechargables in it. It is the same model as a Nuwai ALX-713 IIRC. It has three levels and a simple interface. I would definately suggest a headlamp for people in this situation, although not all people can seem to get their head around the idea of wearing one.

One good thing to come out of this is that my m-i-l has now "seen the light" and is a budding flashaholic, and my wife is now much more tolerant of my hobby.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Techwg.....I assume the person you are talking about has retinitis pigmentosa, which is the most common eye disease giving symptoms you describe; 'tunnel vision' which is sort of like trying to walk around while looking through 2 short cardboard tubes held up to your eyes, and true night blindness, not the difficulty all people have seeing at night but true night blindness where people will literally be bumping into things in dimlighting conditions.

I would think a flashlight that is more of a floodlight would be best for getting around at night within a house. Throw would not be important but side splill would be the priority

i think thats what he called it yes, you hit it on the head!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about a Fenix P3D Rebel100 and set him up with 4 AW RCR123's and a charger. If he will use the light often the rechargables will save him money. It has long run times on the lower modes, probably don't need turbo to get around the house, can tail stand, and is small enough to slip into a pocket, etc.

bouncer

Enlightened
My mother-in-law has eye problems that necessitate extra light. The lights I gave her that she likes the most are a Dorcy Super 1 Watt [small single cr123 she carries everywhere], a ProPoly 4AA Lux [larger, but with a lot of light and good runtime], and a FavorLight 1 Watt Headlamp running on two 3.0 v rcr123 [Tenergy brand from BatteryJunction]. She also uses a drugstore 7 led showerhead type when she needs just a little light, like in church. She uses the headlamp a lot for around the house tasks, which is why we eventually went to rechargables in it. It is the same model as a Nuwai ALX-713 IIRC. It has three levels and a simple interface. I would definately suggest a headlamp for people in this situation, although not all people can seem to get their head around the idea of wearing one.

One good thing to come out of this is that my m-i-l has now "seen the light" and is a budding flashaholic, and my wife is now much more tolerant of my hobby.

That's it get your mother in law hooked so her daughter doesn't mind " but I'm helping your Mom, Dear" LOL that's too funny.